The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Physical and spell resistance

AlphaCrucis
AlphaCrucis
✭✭✭
How important are they in a build for BG?
Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
Brenton, Templar, Healer
Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
PS4, NA Server
Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely.

You may be able to get away with weak resists sometimes in low MMR matches, but as the quality of your opponents goes up, so does the need for high resistances. Some classes can get away with having less resists than others, but if you don't have good mobility built in, the resists become quite important.

I've just recently started playing my Magicka Templar in BGs, and with around 19k buffed physical resist (with Rune up but not standing in it, cause mobility is important) I feel super squishy vs any decent Stamina setup.
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends, in some cases more health works out better than more resists. Resists become more effective the more health and healing involved.
  • AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    Extremely.

You may be able to get away with weak resists sometimes in low MMR matches, but as the quality of your opponents goes up, so does the need for high resistances. Some classes can get away with having less resists than others, but if you don't have good mobility built in, the resists become quite important.

I've just recently started playing my Magicka Templar in BGs, and with around 19k buffed physical resist (with Rune up but not standing in it, cause mobility is important) I feel super squishy vs any decent Stamina setup.

I’m just get into BG’s. I’ve been playing my PvE mag sorc (pet build) but feel it’s not the right build to be in BG’s

So getting an old mag Templar (level 35) I had from early days that I haven’t played with for a long time that I want to make my BG toon. I want to go as tanky as possible but still put out decent damage, so just playing around with him atm
    Brenton, Templar, Healer
    PS4, NA Server
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing well in under 50 BG does not mean you’re going to do well in over 50 BG.

Just FYI.
  • Haojin
    Haojin
    ✭✭✭
    resistance is semi important in general. around 33k buffed up is enough. more important things are;

1-crit resistance
    2-reactive defense (dodge roll-los-break free-block)
    3-cleanse
    4-defensive ultimates
    Guildmaster of Phalanx

PC-EU Vivec/Sotha Sil
    Hao Jin [Stamden]
    Haojun [Stamdk]
    Haojin [Stamsorc]
    Hao'jin [Stamplar]
    Food Fetish [Stamblade]

• AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    Doing well in under 50 BG does not mean you’re going to do well in over 50 BG.

Just FYI.

Ahh.... I’m not doing well!! Lol. But I’m having fun and enjoying a change up from open world PvE

Brenton, Templar, Healer
    PS4, NA Server
  • MannKurt
    MannKurt
    ✭✭
    Useless stat because u get deleted in 2 second by glorious aoespamming premade lords
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MannKurt wrote: »
    Useless stat because u get deleted in 2 second by glorious aoespamming premade lords

Have you thought about maybe the reason you can’t kill them but they can kill you is your low resistance?
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On my Magplar, with her resistances I can stand in the middle of a ball group - an enemy ball group... in noCP campaign. Thats not 4 but over 24 people spamming aoes and ultimates.

She has almost 85% damage mitigation without block... in light armor... healing 10k health per second (almost 20k per second with an ultimate) - me or an ally.
    My Dark Flare tooltip says 13k and Purifying Light is at 17k. Not much damage but considering how much I heal, buff, cleanse and debuff its more than enough.

To answer OPs querstion: resistances are extremely important unless you have excellent mobility or other ways to mitigate damage like reflective wings, wards, shadowy disguise, teammates who aggro enemies, line of sight breaking etc.

• MannKurt
    MannKurt
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Have you thought about maybe the reason you can’t kill them but they can kill you is 4 players focusing 1?

Fxd. Btw, how will high resists help me to kill premade members?
  • MannKurt
    MannKurt
    ✭✭

On my Magplar, with her resistances I can stand in the middle of a ball group - an enemy ball group... in noCP campaign. Thats not 4 but over 24 people spamming aoes and ultimates.

She has almost 85% damage mitigation without block... in light armor... healing 10k health per second (almost 20k per second with an ultimate) - me or an ally.
    My Dark Flare tooltip says 13k and Purifying Light is at 17k. Not much damage but considering how much I heal, buff, cleanse and debuff its more than enough.

To answer OPs querstion: resistances are extremely important unless you have excellent mobility or other ways to mitigate damage like reflective wings, wards, shadowy disguise, teammates who aggro enemies, line of sight breaking etc.

Excuse me, not everyone in this game is rolling templar.
    Edited by MannKurt on April 6, 2019 5:16AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    Extremely.

19k is really low these days imo. You’re either going heavy or you’re using at least one protective jewelry. My magicka DK has around 27k resists backbar (using deaths wind weapon to balance out mag and physical resists). Even mag sorcs are running at least 22-25k.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Have you thought about maybe the reason you can’t kill them but they can kill you is 4 players focusing 1?

By assisting. If they’re playing a ball style with a tethered healer etc... then they aren’t mobile and easy to kite. The ones I’ve seen are super tanky and rely on combining their ultimates to do any damage.

If they’re just 4 playing together then they do well because they cooperate. When pugs lose it’s because they don’t play as a team, or the premade are better players.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

By assisting. If they’re playing a ball style with a tethered healer etc... then they aren’t mobile and easy to kite. The ones I’ve seen are super tanky and rely on combining their ultimates to do any damage.

If they’re just 4 playing together then they do well because they cooperate. When pugs lose it’s because they don’t play as a team, or the premade are better players.

Sadly pugs don't have a way to cooperate. THere is no voice chat and no one is joining Discord server if you paste it.
    And even if they cooperated, then most of the time their builds simply don't synergize.
    A premade will allways have an unfair advantage - thats why they shouldn't be ever matched against solo players.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sadly pugs don't have a way to cooperate. THere is no voice chat and no one is joining Discord server if you paste it.
    And even if they cooperated, then most of the time their builds simply don't synergize.
    A premade will allways have an unfair advantage - thats why they shouldn't be ever matched against solo players.

True, but... solo queuing lets you figure out what works and doesn’t. I’ve been surprised by class combinations that worked really well together, when I thought we’d struggle.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once in a blue moon you end up with a team of random badasses and actually beat the premade (happened once so far, and another time super close second place) which is nice.
    Generally the high mmr premade matches are boring though, games time out and hardly anyone dies.