The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ideas for Hybrid Magblade?

Iskiab
Iskiab
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Anyone have success with a magblade hybrid spec? By hybrid I mean a build designed to do respectable damage and healing numbers as pure magicka.

Usually hybrids need abilities that do damage and heal to be effective, otherwise you don’t heal or dps well. Any thoughts on what works or doesn’t?

Maybe cherry pick from magblade and NB healing the best abilities and combine them, IDK. Resto and Ice maybe?

Healthy Offering - Rapid regen - Refreshing Path - Swallow Soul - Magelight - Ult: Soul Siphon

Pbaoe fear - Ice blockade - Crippling grasp - Shadowy Disguise - Magelight/Race against time - Ult: Assassination one

Idk, maybe a melee hybrid using twisting, blockade, concealed and prox detonation? Anyone experimented and figured out what works?
Edited by Iskiab on March 25, 2019 11:18AM
Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
Havoc Warhammer - Alair
LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hum, think you’d need impale.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kristofer ESO had one a short while back, ofc using Pelinal's. Any pelinal's build rn needs to stack weapon damage since it scales better than mag. Think it may have been bow/destro or bow/resto for all the DOTs. If you're going 2 play hybrid you are going to have to define success for yourself.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iskiab do you want to make a magblade or a hybrid? Or what is your definition of "hybrid"?
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think more specific information is needed for good advice. What is success for starters and what do you actually do in PvP as there are a great many players that run hybrid builds in PvP.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve never liked pelinials, I think it can be done better with innate axiom & lover mundus.

Someone posted a YouTube vid a while back that I’m sure still works. It’s a build using poison injection to proc skoria.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sorry, by hybrid I meant a build designed to do damage and heal well. I’ve been playing a pure healer in BGs with some group support abilities thrown in.

I want to figure out if there’s a way to get respectable healing and damage numbers as a magblade.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The playstyle you're looking for is exactly what I did pre wrathstone and its ludicrous magblade nerfs. It was really good before that, but with the changes to healing path (not doing damage anymore), strife (doing laughable damage AND healing now) and sap beeing as bad of a healing skill as its been since saptanks went extinct the playstyle really doesn't work anymore.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you either go full healing and slot resto skills or you go for a self sustained build that only heals yourself, but not your group. Sad but true.
    Edited by Jeezye on March 25, 2019 12:06PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I thought after looking at abilities. I'd like to try, sometimes what the team needs is damage moreso then healing.

Adding ice blockade and impale is decent but I'm hoping there's more I can do.

Maybe...

Swallow Soul, Refreshing Path, Combat Prayer, Impale, Magelight - Soul Siphon
    Pbaoe fear, Ice blockade, Concealed Weapon, Crippling grasp, shadowy disguise - Assassination Ultimate

Something like that?
    Edited by Iskiab on March 25, 2019 1:55PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=130503
    Torug buff does not show on the weapons.
    Robe of the hist is interesting choice instead of torug.
    Point of the build is to give you good self HoT to sustain healthy offering.
    Weakness is no self burst heal, no hard CC, no snare removal.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Anyone have success with a magblade hybrid spec? By hybrid I mean a build designed to do respectable damage and healing numbers as pure magicka.

Hm that's not how hybrid is defined in this game... I think being a healer and a damage dealer is achievable as a nightblade. Especially in no CP. Best set would probably be spell power cure. Even on just 1 bar, and then maybe another defensive light armor sent OR an offensive heavy armor set. Then go for bloodspawn. Resto ult on back bar, damage ult on the other.

at the top of my head, the most required skills would be swallow soul, spectral bow, pbaoe fear, soul harvest for burst combos where you'd get most of your kills, HoTs and shrewd offering for healing.

Are you replying to yourself here?? This strikes me as weird. xD
    Edited by HowlKimchi on March 25, 2019 4:37PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »

Hm that's not how hybrid is defined in this game... I think being a healer and a damage dealer is achievable as a nightblade. Especially in no CP. Best set would probably be spell power cure. Even on just 1 bar, and then maybe another defensive light armor sent OR an offensive heavy armor set. Then go for bloodspawn. Resto ult on back bar, damage ult on the other.

Too lazy to hit the edit button. I’m talking more abilities then sets. The only ability that does damage and heals atm is swallow soul.

For a spec to do well at healing and damage it requires more then just putting both kinds on your hot bar. Otherwise if you spend half your time healing and half your time damaging your output is 50% of each, then because your gear isn’t specialized it’s more like 40% healing of a healer and 40% of the damage of a dps.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 25, 2019 4:41PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Too lazy to hit the edit button. I’m talking more abilities then sets. The only ability that does damage and heals atm is swallow soul.

For a spec to do well at healing and damage it requires more then just putting both kinds on your hot bar. Otherwise if you spend half your time healing and half your time damaging your output is 50% of each, then because your gear isn’t specialized it’s more like 40% healing of a healer and 40% of the damage of a dps.

Well yeah you cant expect to be a healer and a damage dealer and be 100% at both. IMO if going for a damage dealer/healer hybrid in BGs, what matters is how the damage is dealt and how the heals are given. If they are dealt/given in big bursts when it matters (ie, you burst down an enemy, or you bring an ally's health up from the brink of death), then you are already doing well for the team. Maybe having the highest damage dealt and heals done shouldn't be the priority.

My magplar build sort of performs that way now that I think about it. I don't have the greatest damage, but if i time skills right I can burst people down, and I've saved my teammates from death a lot of times now with my burst heal. I think that's doable with magblades especially since shrewd offering can be cast anytime even when low in magicka.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on March 25, 2019 4:51PM

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well yeah you cant expect to be a healer and a damage dealer and be 100% at both. IMO if going for a damage dealer/healer hybrid in BGs, what matters is how the damage is dealt and how the heals are given. If they are dealt/given in big bursts when it matters (ie, you burst down an enemy, or you bring an ally's health up from the brink of death), then you are already doing well for the team. Maybe having the highest damage dealt and heals done shouldn't be the priority.

My magplar build sort of performs that way now that I think about it. I don't have the greatest damage, but if i time skills right I can burst people down, and I've saved my teammates from death a lot of times now with my burst heal. I think that's doable with magblades especially since shrewd offering can be cast anytime even when low in magicka.

Yea, Templars are excellent in this regard, the ‘hybrid damage and healer role’. That’s how I played mine. I was hoping magblade could do the same.

Even when I play my stamblade I find myself vigoring for other players and trying to block attacks. You can’t go from a pure healer to dd without staring at health bars.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 25, 2019 5:02PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you refer to it as a mag blade then it is already non hybrid.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Double post - hum, forgot impale.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 25, 2019 5:02PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of “healing + dmg”, I’ve opted for “health recovery + dmg”, as I think it’s best for counter acting the bleed meta.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually hybrids need abilities that do damage and heal to be effective, otherwise you don’t heal or dps well. Any thoughts on what works or doesn’t?

Maybe cherry pick from magblade and NB healing the best abilities and combine them, IDK. Resto and Ice maybe?

Healthy Offering - Rapid regen - Refreshing Path - Swallow Soul - Magelight - Ult: Soul Siphon

Pbaoe fear - Ice blockade - Crippling grasp - Shadowy Disguise - Magelight/Race against time - Ult: Assassination one

Idk, maybe a melee hybrid using twisting, blockade, concealed and prox detonation? Anyone experimented and figured out what works?

Resto + ice staff + our cloak will make you quite hard to kill, but at that point you may be better off to just gear as a PvP tank, so not really hybrid. Fire/lightning + resto can work well, as can using a melee/ranged build. In the latter case I feel you need one dedicated survival set as melee on a magblade in group situations will result in a lot of deaths (your deaths) if you go in as a glass cannon unless you go full on gank gear & skill wise and only attack opportunity targets. You also must use two-handed with forward momentum in my humble opinion to make it work, as well as some speed buff preferably (either/and/or The steed mund/swift jewelry/a major expedition skill).

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LordTareq wrote: »

Resto + ice staff + our cloak will make you quite hard to kill, but at that point you may be better off to just gear as a PvP tank, so not really hybrid. Fire/lightning + resto can work well, as can using a melee/ranged build. In the latter case I feel you need one dedicated survival set as melee on a magblade in group situations will result in a lot of deaths (your deaths) if you go in as a glass cannon unless you go full on gank gear & skill wise and only attack opportunity targets. You also must use two-handed with forward momentum in my humble opinion to make it work, as well as some speed buff preferably (either/and/or The steed mund/swift jewelry/a major expedition skill).

This looks like solid advice, I’ll start experimenting. I use buffer of the swift, bright-throat, nightflame, Breton, 1 protective as a healer. Think Domihaus or engine guardian for a monster and keep using the same sets? Then instead of the healing mundus go steed?

Suggestions on offensive ultimate? Destro circle thing that follows you or soul magic one?

Unfortunately I don’t have 2 hander leveled to try it.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 25, 2019 6:42PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what I did with my magicka templar is kind of what you are talking about. I did a 5-1-1 heavy armor build that is magicka focused. I run all tristat glyphs including tristat jewelry and tristat food. My magicka pool is around 32k, my stamina pool is over 19k, and my health is over 33k. I am also an altmer.

So with the 19k stamina, heavy armor resource return, and altmer stam return I get significant more use of my stam than most magicka characters. But, my heals and damage are still respectable for pvp. However, you will have to find a good burst combo to kill anyone. I use cresent sweep and it comes back up pretty quickly.

I run one defensive 5 piece set, one offensive 5 piece set, and shadowrend monster set. The whole build is a pretty even defensive and offensive build. If that is what you are going for you should play around with the idea. You might have to do a lot of changing to find the best set combination that works for you. I know I did.
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggestions on offensive ultimate? Destro circle thing that follows you or soul magic one?

Depends on the rest of your build. Both can potentially be very effective. I prefer soul assault over the destro ultimate myself to help finish off elusive stamblades that think spamming dodge is the answer to everything, as well as the much lower cost. That said the destro ultimate can be very effective too, and soul assault has a big downside in that you can't do anything else while channeling it, and blocking/weapon switching cancels it.

Edited by LordTareq on March 25, 2019 7:57PM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=119696

Basically playing as Glass Cannon, but damage is pretty effective.

• HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep i think you need to edit the title of the thread.