Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mistform - delaying the inevitable?

Syiccal
Syiccal
✭✭✭✭✭
As a magplar I have generally always used this skill, however I'm starting to think other skills will be more beneficial on my bar.
I always think it just delays the death not avoiding it , as only time it's really used is in outnumbered situations any way.

Its also the most annoying skill to be fair, when used to run around towers or rocks, again chased by a ton of ppl until they eventually get you.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Playing outnumbered, even if you die eventually, doesn't mean you can't take people with you. In order to do so repositioning is crucial. Apart from that I think it's generally a great skill for breaking CC, getting a speed buff and tanking burst.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elusive mist is actually amazing, and can really help you reposition and get out of sticky situations thanks to the snare immunity and movement speed.
    I use it on one of my stamina characters when I need a break to regain some stamina, or don't have the resources available to use shuffle (which is expensive and sucks).
    If I know I'm about to take a disgusting combo, then *poof* mist, and they've just wasted everything they had on top of my 75% damage mitigation, plus 8% from temporal guard.
    Underrated ability really. Probably because of the downsides to Vampire I guess.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elusive mist is the only reason to be a vampire. If you don’t use it I’d drop vampire for sure.

There are uses though, just have to be creative. Stuff like using it and jumping from heights to reduce the damage. It’s an old pvp healer trick to help you do damage when your damage sucks as a healer, when the person follows you can heal yourself back up but they can’t.

Not as useful in ESO but damage reductions are useful.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ironic thing is that it got nerfed originally during the age of the bat lords but now the funny thing is that since it stops magicka regen but allows stamina regen, it's much more value for a stam player. What a crazy world it's become.
  • a1i3nz
    a1i3nz
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s a very useful ability when you’re outnumbered but I think you’re right it does delay the inevitable. There is very little counterplay it seems in pvp rn. I see why people use it, but most good players don’t.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a1i3nz wrote: »
    It’s a very useful ability when you’re outnumbered but I think you’re right it does delay the inevitable. There is very little counterplay it seems in pvp rn. I see why people use it, but most good players don’t.

For magplars it is basically required
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sloads is a massive nerf to Mist Form, and nothing has been done to fix it. You used to be able to hit Healing Ward before Mist Form and come out right when the bubble heal pops, but now you just die to Oblivion damage while you're in Mist Form.

Edited by Emma_Overload on March 27, 2019 2:00PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me most form is great at reducing incoming dmg, perhaps I'm just not one for rock hugging or tower running and would prefer to stand and fight and die if need be
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a magplar I need vampirism for two reasons. Mist form because the class is blessed with zero mobility and undeath passive because templar healing requires low hp target to be more effective.
    Having said that I find myself getting snared in mistform more often that I should be, fire and fg abilities hurt a lot, hp recovery is on the ground, damage reduction doesn't matter when every stone in Cyrodiil deals oblivion damage and low hp healing is heavily countered by how stupidly op and easily spammable executes are in this game (let's not mention how the game denies you last second actions because it considers you dead before you even die).
    So here I have my pros and cons layed out and I believe that even though the cons are overwhelming I would still take vampirism because I have to. But here is my problem. I can pretty much agree that all those cons are necessary to balance the pros that vampirism provide. But I can't say that it's ok when vampirism is essential for certain classes like magplar.
    So, to answer your question is using mistform delaying the inevitable? No, mistform is a very good skill and will save your bacon most of the time. But it's crazy to force so many debuffs on certain classes for just an escape which is absolutely underperforming to other escape skills like streak or cloack (which btw is 100% instant-spammable disengage).
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time i used it and see people using it is for the last boss in vas when those big fire aoes are coming. if you cant make it out of them on time you just hit the mistform and you can ignore the fire aoes - like a oh shi$ button :wink:

EDIT: Well, just saw this was posted in the pvp forum, ignore my post o:)
    Edited by sudaki_eso on March 25, 2019 1:59PM
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    an incredibly powerful skill. almost feels like a magicka toon requirement. almost
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a fair trade-off due to it being kinda situational - sometimes being non-vamp would have allowed to just face-tank the pressure due to noticably less dmg received. Mist also reduces the overall efficiency of healing over time - setups by a lot.

I personally prefer non-vamp on my slow-af magwarden.
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have any of you guys watched Jack Daniels Ghost stamplar recently? I've never seen somebody use mist so well. I'm glad he mostly plays EP.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's for snare removal. If you just use it to escape death then you aren't using it completely correctly and neglecting a major part of it.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mist to rocks or walls.

Mist isn't the end all be all survival skill. It's for movement when you shouldn't be able to move.

Most if not all outnumbered ends with your death anyway. Just take down as many as possible and delay your death as long as possible; you do that by hugging rocks or falling back to it when pressure gets too high.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on March 25, 2019 4:28PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been saying this on the forums for years... I don't slot mist cause I just fight to the death.
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped using mist form as soon as I got access to Race Against Time ability in the Psijic Order skill line. It is an offensive speed buff where mist form is purely defensive. You can actually go faster with Race Against Time so if you are running away I think it is actually better. The only thing is as a magplar you have to purge first then run but you can continue to use your other abilities while you are running and you get a crit damage buff and sprint cost reduction on top of it. The sprint cost reduction is very helpful when you are trying to run down people that are running away.

So yeah when you are running away in mist form I am the guy running next to you waiting to kill you. And, yes while I wait I am getting all my buffs up and debuffs on you because I can still cast spells.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try using it to reposition prior to getting low on health
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still use it on my mag dk...works great around large melee fights/sieges...it's like calling a time out for a few seconds...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elusive Mist is bugged at the moment. I'm getting melted through mist, taking 4k+ hits.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »
    Elusive Mist is bugged at the moment. I'm getting melted through mist, taking 4k+ hits.

In the current meta it feels like all mitigation is broken lol. Doesn't matter how much resists or % redux it just feels like everyone is running around naked.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »
    I've been saying this on the forums for years... I don't slot mist cause I just fight to the death.

I dunno, I think it's pretty boring if you just charge out and try to deal as much damage as you can waiting to die. Being able to prolong your life is the best way to deal the most damage no?
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo, stupidest skill in the game. It does as OP said majority of the time, you just have to chase a noob round a rock for an extra minute before he drains himself out of magicka and dies.

Though, if madgdk and magplar had a way to be mobile without it, i believe youd see it used alot less.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    Neoauspex wrote: »

I dunno, I think it's pretty boring if you just charge out and try to deal as much damage as you can waiting to die. Being able to prolong your life is the best way to deal the most damage no?

I'm not saying I just yolo into ball groups, and obviously repositioning is key when fighting outnumbered. I just do it without mist because it doesn't have any utility in fights where I don't need to retreat. I'd rather use the skill slot to improve my chances in winnable fights than to 50/50 be able to escape from unwinnable fights; as the title of the thread suggests half the time mist is just delaying the inevitable. Sometimes it's faster and more useful to the campaign to just escape a zerg by respawning somewhere else since there's no penalty for dying in this game.

For instance, I'd rather slot eclipse and throw that on a couple attackers (especially if you can pick out the snipe spammers) when I'm outnumbered in order to get a window to go offensive and get a player down. That being said, I'm always solo/small group in Cyro... For large group play I still wouldn't slot it but you might have more leeway on your skill bars if everyone is specialized.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right that it just delays the inevitable and honestly, if we weren't so slow and clunky by design I doubt many players would use it because the cost of running it is so high (Flame damage etc)

If you're spending a lot of time in Cyro solo then that's a different story as the player count is much higher but I personally think you're just delaying death and taking more damage from other sources in the meantime.

However, if you're part of a strong team, then it comes in very handy as that coupled with group support is essentially guaranteed safety.

I think the majority of what you do is BG's - In which case, just drop Vampire, you really don't need it and it's generally disappointing to see people mistforming in a BG imo.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

In the current meta it feels like all mitigation is broken lol. Doesn't matter how much resists or % redux it just feels like everyone is running around naked.

vulnerabilities. My guess was they are more prominent even though the devs un-officially stated dmg is working as it always way lol.

Drop vamp if you arent using the ultimate; 10% mag is turned off in mist, 10% stam is only difference of 100 at most, undead passive only substantial when in execute range, and you drain your mag quickly since mist turns it off for that 2s tick like how block messes with stam.

That plus oblivion dmg going through mist, vamp enchants, fighters guild dmg, fire extra dmg are all reasons to get rid of it lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Solariken wrote: »

vulnerabilities. My guess was they are more prominent even though the devs un-officially stated dmg is working as it always way lol.

Drop vamp if you arent using the ultimate; 10% mag is turned off in mist, 10% stam is only difference of 100 at most, undead passive only substantial when in execute range, and you drain your mag quickly since mist turns it off for that 2s tick like how block messes with stam.

That plus oblivion dmg going through mist, vamp enchants, fighters guild dmg, fire extra dmg are all reasons to get rid of it lol.

After weighing the pros and cons of vamp, I still think it's worth running. Mist is useful if used correctly, bats are great for a mDK, undeath is op and almost balances out overall damage with dawnbreaker spike (still weak against high fire damage), and the bonus to regen is just icing.
  • Gretzel
    Gretzel
    ✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    As a magplar I have generally always used this skill, however I'm starting to think other skills will be more beneficial on my bar.
    I always think it just delays the death not avoiding it , as only time it's really used is in outnumbered situations any way.

Its also the most annoying skill to be fair, when used to run around towers or rocks, again chased by a ton of ppl until they eventually get you.

Its saved my ass many times while I get into a keep or past a group to regroup with my guild since I just started a month ago and barely have the mount speed upgrades. Havent done the BG grind yet for impregnable so I need the survivability as a healer in 5 light, 2 heavy.
    Sorc dps / DK tank / Templar healer - Xbox NA - Black Marsh Legion - cp 270
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has plusses and minuses. Good in some scenarios but not all. Comes with strengths and weaknesses.

It's basically how all skills should be in this game.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Has plusses and minuses. Good in some scenarios but not all. Comes with strengths and weaknesses.

It's basically how all skills should be in this game.

Agreed. Every time I change even one skill I find myself tweaking stats. Usually what works best in pvp is balance, and finding the sweet spot can be difficult.

One small complaint about seeing mistform in BGs. I keep trying to heal the person and can’t, I’ve started not healing people if I see them using mistform so I don’t waste my resources.

Even worse some times, since heals are smart, it prevents me from being able to heal team mates because the person in mist form gets the heal because they’re person with the lowest health.

Mist form can be an issue depending on your MMR bracket, newer pvpers don’t even heal themselves much less anyone else so imagine it wouldn’t be an issue there. In higher brackets where resto ults are common it’s definitely an issue.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 30, 2019 2:30PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten