The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

My opinion on housing.

Imperial_Voice
Imperial_Voice
✭✭✭✭✭
Trying this in general forums which see more use

Its not exactly a secret that the Housing community has become the sort of neglected middle child of ESO. Thats not to say that ZoS hasn't thrown us the occassional bone with updates (the last housing update was certainly helpful) and between furniture packs and new houses we certainly get plenty of content.

Housing suffers from different issues than other game content and these problems are rooted in how fundamental housing has become both to the social aspect of the game and the cash shop.

We are currently given no more than 700 item slots for the largest houses, many of which cant even be properly filled with that amount and as time moves on ZoS keeps providing us with service items, special/collectible/achievement furnishings and special mounts and pets (limited at a incredibly lowly 10) and yet the vast majority are completely unusable due to a seemingly arbitrary limit on housing items. This not only hurts players but ZoS profits as well, after all if players have a house with 700/700 items why would they bother buying special new furniture knowing they couldn't show it off?

Speaking of showing off our houses, our current guest limit is set at only 24. This would be fine if housing was only set showcase for close friends, but at this point housing has become a fundamental part of guilds especially within the RP community where guild houses are the center for nearly all events. Often times guilds have to turn members away from events because of the 24 person limit.

The requirements of guilds to have guild housing is also becoming financially prohibitive as a properly adorned guild house can cost upwards of $300 to $400 of service items are included such as mundus stones and bankers. Leaving Guild Masters to either shell out real world money just to properly run a guild hall or recruit member(s) who are willing to share the financial burden and risk losing their items.

These issues are all fairly simple fixes and have been brought up frequently since housing was implemented yet ZoS has shown little intent to solve this issues. It is my opinion that because of how ingrained housing is in the social aspects of the game, that neglecting to fix them is detrimental to many players ability to enjoy the housing, social, and guild aspects of the game.

I propose the following things be changed in housing as a way inprove the housing system.

*Removal of the item limit in housing, or a sharp increase item limit or simple separate indoor and outdoor areas for item count purposes.

*A non-real money transaction way of acquiring more houses and the service furnishings.

*A removal of the limit on collectible pets and mounts allowed in one house or a sharp increase in the limit.

*A removal of the visitor limit on any house.

*The addition of an Auctioneer service NPC and Guild Banker service NPC for use with housing.

*The addition of the option to set a guild hall instead of forcing players to navigate to a guild mates primary residence.
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post OP. I would love to see more functionality being added to housing.

For example, being able to plant Alchemy reagents in my home in Skyrim was one of my favorite features.
    Edited by MyNameIsElias on March 23, 2019 6:37PM
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good points well made. 🙂

Definitely think they could separate inside and out into 2 separate instances and thus increase the item limit that way.

Option of setting somewhere as a guild hall would also be helpful.

And would love to be able to put more pets/mounts on show.
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For example, being able to plant Alchemy reagents in my home in Skyrim was one of my favorite features.

It was one of my favorites too actually. Having ready to use ingredients for my most used potions rocked.

I just think housing has become too utilized and too monitized to be so lacking.
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah there were a lot of activities you could do in Skyrim that made housing fun.... I don't know if ZoS would do that though without some extensive CD's to prevent there prices on AH to plummet though.
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think housing suffers a problem of it mainly being just window dressing and some of these houses can cost up to $200 dollars AUD and can't really be used other then saying I got this place there and there. Give it some use ZoS please.
    Edited by Digiman on March 23, 2019 7:03PM
  • Oathunbound
    Oathunbound
    ✭✭✭
    Your suggestions are good but unfortunately have been brought up many times before and have not gotten any kind of real response.

What gets me is the built in hypocrisy of the item limit as ANY item counts as 1 slot regardless of size. In theory I could have 700 of those massive malacath statues in my hone and it's OK but but if I want 701 small plates or somthing equally small its impossible.
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your suggestions are good but unfortunately have been brought up many times before and have not gotten any kind of real response.

What gets me is the built in hypocrisy of the item limit as ANY item counts as 1 slot regardless of size. In theory I could have 700 of those massive malacath statues in my hone and it's OK but but if I want 701 small plates or somthing equally small its impossible.

I know its been brought up before but jist because ZoS hasnt responded doesnt mean we have to give up on asking ya know?
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love my Tel Galen home.
    i think the mundus stones and some things like the crafting stations are too expensive, i do use it as a guild hall.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So the max for the Psijic villa is 700 while the max for my little Snugpod is 100?! 100 is great for mine but... Things don't seem to scale up by house size as much as they shoh9...
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with your points. They have been brought up before, particularly when Update 13 was released on the PTS, and ZoS provided concrete and detailed reasons why the limits are set as they are.

The short answers are:

1) Player limit is at 24, because at 25 or more, performance degrades and players are kicked from the housing instance.

You can test this yourself by forming a group of 24 and trying to enter a popular public delve. Send some group members in, and have other group member Travel to Player. If the delve has more than a couple other players inside, your group members who enter last will be placed in a different instance on the delve, and those who Travel to Player may get the "Instance is full" error.

2) 700 Objects

As ZoS explained back in 2017, the more player-placed objects in a house instance, the greater the number of calculations that must be performed for every single player input, and performance plummets to the point of game crash. They picked a number safely below the threshold at which performance degrades for consoles and most desk-top systems.

The problem is not that you cannot 'fill the space', the problem is the expensive houses are too large for the number of player-placed objects that your game device can handle.

There was an in-depth explanation posted a while back in which the mathematics and coding behind player-placed objects. The gist of the explanation is that the calculation load goes up dramatically for each player-placed object. There is a point not much higher than 700 at which the performance begins to erode. There is also a point not much higher than that at which any processor which a consumer can afford cannot handle the load.

So... the answer is to stop making Psijiic Villas. Make housing instance volume smaller so that 700 objects seems 'full'
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    I agree with your points. They have been brought up before, particularly when Update 13 was released on the PTS, and ZoS provided concrete and detailed reasons why the limits are set as they are.

The short answers are:

1) Player limit is at 24, because at 25 or more, performance degrades and players are kicked from the housing instance.

You can test this yourself by forming a group of 24 and trying to enter a popular public delve. Send some group members in, and have other group member Travel to Player. If the delve has more than a couple other players inside, your group members who enter last will be placed in a different instance on the delve, and those who Travel to Player may get the "Instance is full" error.

2) 700 Objects

As ZoS explained back in 2017, the more player-placed objects in a house instance, the greater the number of calculations that must be performed for every single player input, and performance plummets to the point of game crash. They picked a number safely below the threshold at which performance degrades for consoles and most desk-top systems.

The problem is not that you cannot 'fill the space', the problem is the expensive houses are too large for the number of player-placed objects that your game device can handle.

There was an in-depth explanation posted a while back in which the mathematics and coding behind player-placed objects. The gist of the explanation is that the calculation load goes up dramatically for each player-placed object. There is a point not much higher than 700 at which the performance begins to erode. There is also a point not much higher than that at which any processor which a consumer can afford cannot handle the load.

So... the answer is to stop making Psijiic Villas. Make housing instance volume smaller so that 700 objects seems 'full'

Or they could...ya know...improve an aspect of the game via work
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could have changed the text of the topic, you know. Reconsidered some points, added something new. While most of housing community agrees with these arguments, we came to understand that most of these changes won't happen in the near future. I guess we are currently on stand by to see, whether something changes with a new generation of consoles, but I doubt it.

If ZOS can't add more furnishing slots, well, at least they could have created more complex furnishings, containing multiple items. For example, a range of bowls with arranged fruits or other foods, tables with candles on top and chairs around as a single item, garden sets with multiple flowers etc. Sets of items, which would be available not only through CS.
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on March 24, 2019 12:42AM
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The short answers are:

2) 700 Objects

You did not understand what I wrote. I shall simplify: 700 items is the maximum number that your game machine can handle.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The short answers are:

2) 700 Objects

You did not understand what I wrote. I shall simplify: 700 items is the maximum number that your game machine can handle.

Hmmm. In this game....

I played RIFT for 3 years. The game was fun. But what I really loved was the housing. I built out my own houses on the available "plots", or I bought the already in place builds, and customized them. The two main places I built.... I'm guesstimating 4 -5 THOUSAND items - each. I can't go back now to check.... but it was magnitudes more than 700 items.

RIFT was at the time I played a well-populated MMO. I'm certain there was a "smallish" housing community presence - but it wasn't "vanishingly small". Many housing guilds existed., and made their "excess stock" available to everyone for free.

I - find - I really miss that dynamic.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You are quite correct that the item limit was much, much higher in Rift... several thousand in the largest customizable spaces, was it not?

The issue isn't whether a game can be built that allows for a large number of interactable objects (Skyrim, I believe, has hundreds of thousands), the issue is how many ESO can handle.

RIFT, Skyrim, and ESO all used different approaches to coding for interactable objects. It appears that although player housing was on the idea list from the beginning, it is more of an add-on rather than fundamentally built into the game.

At least that is my understanding from explanations by people much more knowledgeable than I.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing is not what it should be. Look at ultima online, thats how housing should be.
  • Asha_11_ESO
    Asha_11_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Increasing the item limits and player capacity in housing would be great. But, it's just an assumption that fixes for these are simple.

Is housing really a fundamental social aspect of the game? Maybe I'm missing out on something here! Does everyone actually hang out in each others homes all the time?
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Personally I accept what ZOS has told us about the housing limits. It makes sense to me that this is a system performance issue. However...
    This community has made many suggestions to help address the issue and partially get around the limits. Some of these suggestions seem to have fallen on deaf ears, others took a year to be implemented.
    When housing first came out, there was so few structural items. If you wanted to build anything, you had to use dozens of smaller pieces. A fireplace could take 10 items, a stairs could take 20. Despite so many threads about this, it took till Summerset for some decent structural items to be made available to us. Also, we have repeatedly asked for more one-piece clutter items like filled shelves, a table set for dinner, book cases... WITH BOOKS! Again the response to this has been slow and frankly lukewarm. We got 3 new filled book cases while the dev team continue to populate the new furnishings every DLC with things nobody has asked for.
    We also suggested that huge homes be released with a divide between inside and outside so that we could have 700 slots inside and outside with a loadsreen in between. We BEGGED Zos before the release of Psijic Manor to make this 2 separate cells with 700 inside and 700 outside and guess what feedback we got? Go on, guess!
    We have also suggested to remove the furniture category limits. Why when I get to 700 items in my home, can I still place a monster bust but not a pillow!!? This is an arbitrary limitation put there by ZOS that makes no sense. Many people have asked for this differentiation to be removed. Sure, have limits on the items that require a lot of server load but if I don't place any pets or monster busts, I should be able to use those slots on something else. But alas, this suggestion has fallen on deaf ears.
    Finally, we have asked SO many times for ZOS to bring out more smaller houses that we could fill with 700 slots. This seemed like an obvious thing to me. If the limit is stuck at 700, and you're going to ignore all the community suggestions to ameliorate this, then stop bringing out houses like Princely Dawn Palace. We have seen the release of some smaller homes like the Snowglobe but like the structural items requests, it's lukewarm at best.
    So yes, I accept the reasons for the limits but I continue every quarter to be frustrated by the ignoring of the suggestions we make to help address the limits. They may eventually, in another 2 years, get around to these suggestions but for me, the utter lack of dialogue with the housing devs makes it difficult to keep up hope. With each DLC I get more disheartened and more likely to give up on housing. Housing needs a fresh injection of new life and this needs to start with even a modicum of communication from the dev team on the future direction of this part of the game.
    Regards,
    Zypheran
    Edited by Zypheran on March 25, 2019 1:08PM
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The short answers are:

2) 700 Objects

No it is not. 700 is the maximum they could get without changes in the code. I understand what you wrote, youre just wrong.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The short answers are:

2) 700 Objects

No it is not. 700 is the maximum they could get without changes in the code. I understand what you wrote, youre just wrong.

We can only go by ZoS' statements. They blamed processor limits, particularly console. Whether that has something to with the code was left unsaid, but I agree it is a reasonable assumption.

However, the mathematical problems with large numbers of interactable objects remains, and I am a poor explainer of that issue.

Again, I agree with nearly all of your statements.
  • Commancho
    Commancho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The core problem of housing is that they serve no purpose, followed by no snap system, lack of construction & interactive elements which turns them into generic & static warehouses/crafting areas. That's why housing in this game is not that popular and "decorating" aspect of it is rather a way to kill boredom by high lvl rich players.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

The short answers are:

2) 700 Objects

Hmmm. In this game....

I played RIFT for 3 years. The game was fun. But what I really loved was the housing. I built out my own houses on the available "plots", or I bought the already in place builds, and customized them. The two main places I built.... I'm guesstimating 4 -5 THOUSAND items - each. I can't go back now to check.... but it was magnitudes more than 700 items.

RIFT was at the time I played a well-populated MMO. I'm certain there was a "smallish" housing community presence - but it wasn't "vanishingly small". Many housing guilds existed., and made their "excess stock" available to everyone for free.

I - find - I really miss that dynamic.

You played RIFT on PC, though, right? Not on consoles?

Usually, when the issues being cited are performance related, that's not a PC problem. You can keep chucking more hardware at any issue there, but you can't exactly upgrade the graphics card of a PS4, or the CPU of an XB1.
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Commancho wrote: »
    The core problem of housing is that they serve no purpose, followed by no snap system, lack of construction & interactive elements which turns them into generic & static warehouses/crafting areas. That's why housing in this game is not that popular and "decorating" aspect of it is rather a way to kill boredom by high lvl rich players.

And yet housing has become integral to the guild system as well a basic necessity of most RP guilds and yet its basically been left undeveloped. Yet they expect us to keep paying out the wazoo for luxury furnishing
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The size of the item doesn't matter really. It's the calculation involved for the code to load the player input and then move the object to the correct position. The more calculations the code has to run through the more complex it is hence the more stress it puts on the system. That's what the developers are basically saying from the sound of it.

As another poster alluded to, a good way to go about combating this would be to create more extensive furnishing pieces. For example: instead of just a table top have a table that comes complete with chairs, dinner settings, food etc.

But in all honesty, the developer's reasoning here sounds like a cop out. This game can already handle huge zones with a lot more than 700 objects. One only has to go wander around Wrothgar or Craglorn to see examples of that. Plus there is no reason I can think of why they couldn't separate a house into two parts and just give players 700 objects for outside the home and then create a new instance for inside the home with 700 more objects. This alone would help a lot and shouldn't require much effort (though the additional load screen might annoy some players). So I'm not really inclined to believe their answer on this. It sounds more like a choice to me instead of a real impediment due to system limitations.
    Edited by Jeremy on March 25, 2019 12:51PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a big difference between 700 static, uninteractable objects in a zone and 700 interactable objects that can be moved around.

They have said the would like to give more housing slots but can't for the reasons stated. I'm sure they are very well aware of the boon it would be to housing.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if we believe them or not. The reality is we are not getting more slots now, soon and maybe not ever.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too expensive.

It's of no use whatsoever.

There are no good furnishings.

It's unwanted.

It's unneeded.

It's just a way for folks with too much gold to rub it in the noses of everybody who doesn't.

JMHO.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »
    It's too expensive.
    you can buy very nice houses in game with gold, no need to spend real money.
    Some of the smaller ones actually are nicer when decorated than many of the big ones

your opinion. Many people like the extra storage coffers and have uses for the target dummies. And a lot of people just enjoy decorating

There are no good furnishings
    again your opinion.

It's unwanted.
    blatently not true. LOTS of people asked for housing to be put in the game

It's unneeded
    nothing in this game is needed, but it's fun nonetheless

It's just a way for folks with too much gold to rub it in the noses of everybody who doesn't.
    how do you even know who owns what house or how many unless you actually pay attention to that? Thats right, you don't. So how is your nose getting rubbed in it?

JMHO.

Edited by Katahdin on March 25, 2019 8:23PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    DenMoria wrote: »
    It's too expensive.
    you can buy very nice houses in game with gold, no need to spend real money.
    Some of the smaller ones actually are nicer when decorated than many of the big ones

your opinion. Many people like the extra storage coffers and have uses for the target dummies. And a lot of people just enjoy decorating

There are no good furnishings
    again your opinion.

It's unwanted.
    blatently not true. LOTS of people asked for housing to be put in the game

It's unneeded
    nothing in this game is needed, but it's fun nonetheless

how do you even know who owns what house or how many unless you actually pay attention to that? Thats right, you don't. So how is your nose getting rubbed in it?

JMHO.

Well... I did say IMHO.

Besides, y'all enjoy it.

I was just funnin'

Just 'cause I have no use for housing in ESO doesn't mean any of you should not have it.

After all, it's been asked for for ages and I'm just glad they gave it to y'all.

Sorry - I thought my being sardonic was good, but, hey, apparently, y'all take these things REALLY seriously.

To me, it's just a game.

Again - sorry if I forfended. :)
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've spent more real world cash on housing than any other part of the game. I would happily spend more if housing slots were doubled. Just saying.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I know it might not be believed, but the limits are actually there for a reason. I've seen a guild mate able to stack all the item up the limit in a small area like inside a house in a small home and crash anyone trying to load inside. So you definitely cannot just have no limits. This is probably even more true with consoles and weaker computers.

They should definitely increase the item count however, especially on large homes and even create two instances of indoor/outdoor if needed. This is one reason I'll never buy a large manor sized property and turned the psijic villa into a storage spot for extra furniture. This would allow something like a guild to create an outdoor crafting area using a lot of their spots up for this and then still allow the owner to create something inside for themselves. They could also help with the item limit by adding more and more pre-furnished pieces like the bookshelves they have for some styles. And tbh, they should have offered some sort of mega-crafting station option where you can have one station and then select the set in drop down - it's probably getting crazy item limit wise to keep adding four stations for every set that comes out in the game for these guilds.

Same thing with player limit, I don't think it's possible to remove it outright, but they should increase it.

I also don't see them offering more ways to get things with in game gold instead of real life money as we've seen the ridiculous pricing for homes and mundus stones and more in the crown store. It's one thing to do this with huge homes I guess, but mundus stones should have had an in game way to earn as well imo.

Guild hall options and Guild banker or Crafting Writ vendor would be great options as well. Though if you cannot turn in writs to the writ vendor, they'd be worthless as you might as well just stay in town and not have another load screen.

The big thing I'd love to see are working wayshrines. This is another reason I don't buy some of the fancy homes - my main mini guild hall I created for my friends is Sleek Creek and the main reason is b/c it has a Rawl'ka exit. If you could wayshrine to any city from any home, there'd be no reason to not buy a home based on it's horrible location relative to major towns.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC