The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Race change token does not refund racial passive skill points

Cregen
Cregen
Just as the title states. I used my last race change token, and noticed that on logging in my tank had no points for racial passives. I know for a fact that as an Imperial, I had all my points in my passives. On the previous race change tokens, I definitely had my racial skills refunded (accidentally pugged a dungeon with 0 points in once... ooops), but nothing from this one. It looks like the same bug that used to plague vampires and werewolves who got cured. That bug was fixed, but now it seems to affect race changes as well. Please fix.
  • Cregen
    Cregen
    ESO's response:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team and for reporting this issue to us.

This is the first time that I am hear of an issue like this. In order for us to take a closer look can you provide some additional info on what has happened here? Please provide visual evidence if you can and answer the following questions to the best of your ability:

1. When exactly did this happen?
    2. How many skill points went missing?
    3. What were the skill points spent on?
    4. If you use a re-dedication shrine does that bring the points back?

We look forward to your reply! Thank you for your continued interest and support!

My Response:

1) It happened yesterday
    2) 9 points, 3 per racial passive
    3) The Imperial racial tree at lvl 50
    4) No, just checked. The Imperial line has been replaced by the Nord line, and no points are available, see screenshot
    idk2ztqqzjt7.png

ESO:

Hi there Traveler,

Thanks for contacting the Elder Scrolls Online Team, my name is Lee, your ever faithful Customer Service Mage.

Thank you for reaching out to us on this issue! Please try uninstalling any mods/addons you may have. These programs aren't officially supported and may cause issues with graphics or gameplay.

Warm Regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

My Response:

I've disabled mods, no change. I still don't have my 9 points back, and don't see the line available to refund at the re-dedication shrine.

ESO:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

I understand you have some concerns over missing skill points on your character Denarius Lusello.

I do want to preface this by stating, we do not have the capability to provide players with skill points.

With that being said, I would like for you to please try the following troubleshooting:
    Perform a soft reset by completely logging out of the game and waiting for at least 15 minutes.
    If playing on PC/Mac, type /reloadui in the chat box to reset your game's UI.
    If playing on PC/Mac, log out and repair the game from the ESO launcher. You can find the repair option under Game Options.
    Thank you for your continued interest and support!

My final response:

This has been going on since yesterday, logging out for 15 minutes won't help if I haven't been on in hours.

It's not a UI problem. Skill points were lost the exact way that werewolves and vampires used to lose them when cured. I don't understand what the issue is understanding this. There was a solution for that issue, why isn't there one for this? It's a dropped skill tree, that failed to refund points. Same issue as before, and that was resolved.

I refuse to reinstall the game. Again. That seems to be your default answer to every problem that exists after you guys patch something. It worked before, one patch later, it doesn't, and it's on my end? I have trouble believing that.

If ESO is unable to fix the issue at hand, then I am sorry for wasting your time, I will be sure to take my subscription elsewhere, and advise those in my guild to do the same.

I'm not looking to be trolled, or for sympathy. I'm posting this for everyone's benefit. This is the last straw. Customer service is lackluster at best, failing to even grasp what's being described in a ticket. To suggest yet again that I repair or reinstall the game is absurd. This has nothing to do with the local install, this is on the server. Every other patch introduces new or apparently old bugs, and it's apparent that nothing is tested prior to release. I have unsubbed, which is the only way they'll listen to us.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, a couple things.

Dig out Urich's Skill Point Finder, and check to see how many skill points you have.

At the respec shrine, clear everything (you don't need to commit this change, so you just need to have the cash in your inventory), and see if the totals line up. (It should be short 9 skill points.)

USPF uses achievement data to check how many skill points you, "should," have.

If your USPF data disagrees with what you can get from the respec shrine. Then you can go with, "according to my completed achievements I should have X skill points, but I only see Y."

It's also possible that doing a global skill point reset at the shrine will free those skill points even without being able to see the skill line itself.

USPF (and possible PerfectPixel) will make it easier to provide a precise accounting to Customer Support and explain why you think you're missing those skill points.

Now, the "good" news is, if your skill points are still allocated in your old skill line, you now (actually) have both skill lines. You'd probably need to commit to a full respec to verify, but I suspect your old racial passives are still active.
  • Drako_Ei
    Drako_Ei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, a couple things.

Dig out Urich's Skill Point Finder, and check to see how many skill points you have.

At the respec shrine, clear everything (you don't need to commit this change, so you just need to have the cash in your inventory), and see if the totals line up. (It should be short 9 skill points.)

If your USPF data disagrees with what you can get from the respec shrine. Then you can go with, "according to my completed achievements I should have X skill points, but I only see Y."

It's also possible that doing a global skill point reset at the shrine will free those skill points even without being able to see the skill line itself.

USPF (and possible PerfectPixel) will make it easier to provide a precise accounting to Customer Support and explain why you think you're missing those skill points.

Now, the "good" news is, if your skill points are still allocated in your old skill line, you now (actually) have both skill lines. You'd probably need to commit to a full respec to verify, but I suspect your old racial passives are still active.

If this is true its a game breaking bug, allowing players to have multiple racial passives
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drako_Ei wrote: »
    So, a couple things.

If this is true its a game breaking bug, allowing players to have multiple racial passives

It is, and it was exploited shortly after Race Change tokens were added to the game. Part of the reason why I'm saying you need to report this ASAP.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had the same thing happen to me yesterday when I changed my NB from a Redguard to a Bosmer, my Redguard skill points were not returned. And as far as customer service goes in not being able to return skill points or other assets in the game, I don’t believe that a bit. I’ve run game servers myself and I could give any player a missing asset just by doing a change to the database or special admin tools we had at our disposal. Now I will say that not all customer service reps have the skill or tools to do this, but it certainly can be done by someone at ZOS.

Needs to be looked at: @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is strange. I've changed five characters recently and all were refunded their racial passive skill points. Hmm...what is going on here?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is strange. I've changed five characters recently and all were refunded their racial passive skill points. Hmm...what is going on here?

It's a specific glitch that, under certain circumstances, will result in your passives not being refunded after a race change. I forget the exact steps, but it is reproducible.
  • Brooksjon000
    Brooksjon000
    Soul Shriven
    Hello,
    I’m curious what was the outcome of this because this just happen to me as well two days ago. I change my Redguard tank to a Nord and all my racial passive skill points were never return.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I’m curious what was the outcome of this because this just happen to me as well two days ago. I change my Redguard tank to a Nord and all my racial passive skill points were never return.

Should have been fixed years ago. I've gotten skill points back during a race change. (Though, I've only eer used one.) Might want to use an addon like Urich's Skill Point Finder to verify your total, then report it to CS.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Cregen

First: when you post a bug report, please be sure to include the platform and mega-server on which you have encountered the issue. ZOS cannot investigate without that information. Also, please consult Guidelines For Bug Report Forum for instructions and advice for posting a useful bug report.

That said: the Skill Points -- if any -- which are allocated to the Racial passives of a character do not remain allocated to that character's Racial passives after the change occurs.
    • After a player selects the character for which to change their race, then uses the race-change token,
    • the Skill Points which are allocated to that character for Racial passives are "refunded" as Skill Points
    • which the player can re-allocate as they choose.

Of course, if there are no Skill Points currently allocated to the Racial passives of the character for which the race is changed, then there will not be any to "refund". So, you must be sure that the character did have Skill Points allocated to their Racial passives before you chose to change the character's Race.

For what it may be worth: when I recently changed the race of a character -- playing on PC NA -- I did not encounter the issue which you describe. Also, I subsequently changed the race of that character to their original race, and all of the Skill Points which I had re-allocated to the Racial passives after the first change were again "refunded" during the change to their original race.

Edited by Shadowshire on March 24, 2020 12:22AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cregen wrote: »
    I'm not looking to be trolled, or for sympathy. I'm posting this for everyone's benefit. This is the last straw. Customer service is lackluster at best, failing to even grasp what's being described in a ticket. To suggest yet again that I repair or reinstall the game is absurd. (emphasis added) This has nothing to do with the local install, this is on the server. Every other patch introduces new or apparently old bugs, and it's apparent that nothing is tested prior to release. I have unsubbed, which is the only way they'll listen to us.
    Customer Service does have its limits as to what they can and cannot do. That is to be expected.

Using the Launcher > Game Options > Repair Files feature is a reasonable recommendation. Often I do that at some time or another after I first log-in to play TESO, especially after the game client crashes.

The Repair Files feature verifies whether TESO files installed on your computer system are correct. The game installation can become corrupted for many reasons -- most of which have nothing to do with the ESO software. However, in particular:
    1. If the game client crashes without having a chance to close any files that it currently has "open", then there is a significant risk that those files will become "lost" or corrupted in some way. Repair Files will detect that, delete the files, and download replacements for those that are damaged.
    2. Since Update 25, I have had reason to believe that under some circumstances the game client might corrupt one or more of the files which are installed as the game. But I am still investigating whether that is ever the case. If it is, then using Repair Files will remedy the corruption, but that is not at all likely to stop the corruption from occurring again.

As to re-installing the game, I agree that it should not be necessary. Nonetheless, it might be necessary when your computer has a hardware problem, such as an error in its firmware, or worn-out cables that connect the motherboard to the disk drives. A flaw in the Operating System can be the source of the file corruption, too. Your first line of defense is to be sure that you always have the most recent update to the OS installed. (Your second line of defense is to periodically remove any dust and/or other debris which has made its way into the hardware case.)

You might be able to detect and remedy OS and/or hardware problems without re-installing the game. That is, unless the problem is that the disk drive on which the game files are stored has passed its Mean Time Before Failure (service hours), or, for an SSD, the limit to the number of erasures and re-writes which it can do before the risk of corrupted data becomes significant. When either one is the case, then you must replace the storage media and re-install any files which were stored on it (usually, we hope, from backup copies).

Good luck!!

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi