The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Should the system for splitting tel'var between players change?

Flame_of_Hades
Flame_of_Hades
✭✭✭
I decided to poll the forums because this has become a great annoyance recently. As per the title, should the system be changed?

Lets get some things out of the way, I will be assuming that all of the flags are owned, and players involved have a 4x multiplier.

With the current system, if two players have been in combat with a boss/add, they will be counted when the tel'var is shared, no mater how much they contributed to the fight. Thus, if two players are fighting a district boss, they will receive an equal share of the rewards, 7.2k tel'var.

Now, consider if these same two players have reduced a bosses health to about 300k, and a third player runs into the fight, dealing about 100k damage. With the current system, all players would receive the same amount of tel'var, 4.8k, even though the original two players clearly did more for that tel'var.

I would like to propose a system in which the game keeps track of contribution to a fight. Split the tel'var 3 ways, one for damage taken, one for healing done, and one for damage done.

this way, if a person solos a boss, they will have taken 100% of the damage, done 100% of the healing, and done 100% of the damage, thus, they get 100% of all three categories of tel'var.

BUT

If 10 people fight a boss, and one person tanks it, taking 70% of the total damage, they have locked in 70% of 33..333333333% of the total tel'var (3360 TV), assuming they did 5% of the damage, and 20% of the total healing, that would be just under a third of the tel'var they earn.

In the original scenario, the two players (assuming all things equal) would have taken 50% of the damage, done 50% of the healing, and done 50% of the damage. When the third player jumps in, they will have taken 0% of the damage, done 0% of the healing, and done 4% of the total damage, meaning they would earn (4800/100=48*4) 192 tel'var.

Would this be a good change?
Edited by Flame_of_Hades on March 21, 2019 12:53AM

Should the system for splitting tel'var between players change? 18 votes

Yes! Players should be compensated based upon their contribution.
22%
CresApheriussusmitdsKikke 4 votes
No! Every player contributes in their own way and should be compensated the same, regardless of result.
77%
Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESOTerraDewBerryMayraelKatahdinTravestynoxzykKadoinfullheartcontainerArtim_XJackAshesRaammzzaaMudcrabberAlienoutlawTriangularChicken 14 votes
Other (Please specify)
0%
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see this working for PVE bosses only, assuming that the calculations for splitting Tel Var can be separated out from the gains from minibosses, adds, and players.

The calculations seem overly complex to be extended to everything in Imperial City, particularly actual PVP fights between multiple players. So if the calculations can't be separated out, I'm in favor of keeping the current KISS method.
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    Normally, a player v player fight or a player v add fight won't last long enough for people to jump in, and do not give out enough tel'var for these calculation to matter. My main issue is feeling cheated when I do 2.4 mil damage to a boss, and two people jump in at the very end, meaning i get 1/3 of the tel'var for doing 99% of the work.

Keep in mind, the imperial city will soon be its own campaign, and thus the calculation load should not be that noticeable, if it is noticed at all.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its fine as it is, no change is needed.
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    its fine as it is, no change is needed.

Care to elaborate on your reasoning?
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say take it back to 80% if killed by another player.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Normally, a player v player fight or a player v add fight won't last long enough for people to jump in, and do not give out enough tel'var for these calculation to matter. My main issue is feeling cheated when I do 2.4 mil damage to a boss, and two people jump in at the very end, meaning i get 1/3 of the tel'var for doing 99% of the work.

Keep in mind, the imperial city will soon be its own campaign, and thus the calculation load should not be that noticeable, if it is noticed at all.

What happens then if it's two friends farming bosses, and one is tankier, holds the boss for the other friend to dps it down? Do you not want them to get equal credit? I understand it's annoying when people run in after doing nothing, but it works the way it does for a reason.
    Edited by DisgracefulMind on March 21, 2019 2:47AM
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes! Players should be compensated based upon their contribution.
    What I mind are those obvious lechers that go around killing mobs while you struggle with the boss alone, and once the boss is within execute range or so far down as 5% they jump in for easy Tel Vars.

Like, I don't mind people that do 10k dps meanwhile I do 40k. As long as they invest the same amount of time on the boss as me, even the snipers that stand faaaaar away spamming snipes. I DO NOT MIND...

Just obvious lechers!

Edit: Make it so that you get rewarded Tel Var based upon how many % the boss was on when you joined the fight. So, 100% = 100% rewards while 50% = 50% rewards etc. This would make it so that if you ran by and saw a boss at 70% hp and join the fight you will still get 70% of the rewards. Shorter fight for you, less rewards.
    Edited by Kikke on March 21, 2019 3:01AM
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭

What happens then if it's two friends farming bosses, and one is tankier, holds the boss for the other friend to dps it down? Do you not want them to get equal credit? I understand it's annoying when people run in after doing nothing, but it works the way it does for a reason.

Fair point, but then you would assume that one player would be taking most of the damage, while the other did most of the damage, leaving only healing up for grabs. Then it would be a problem of it total healing counted or just healing on other players.
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »
    I say take it back to 80% if killed by another player.

Only if they make it so that you have to match the players multiplier (or greater than) in order to take tel'var >:)