The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Last boss vMA mega frustration

Neoealth
Neoealth
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Today I thought I'd seriously play vMA and make a proper attempt. I've always put it off because I hate to get frustrated in game. And I've heard the horror stories.

I went easy mode with the 1 bar sorc alcast bar for noobs. Wow it made a great difference, I sailed through all the stages. I am now on the last stage, but I've hit a brick wall at the last boss. I learned how to do the upper section very quickly now, after many deaths. But when I got knocked down to engage in the final part of the battle I was obliterated very quickly.

My hands went like jelly, i raged over and over. I felt like crying (seriously). One attempt he was 1% health.

Well after cooling down, and reading more about the mechanics. In my excitement and frustration I over looked a huge part of the mechanic. I was forgetting about the gold ghosts you need to pick up......Is it true if you allow the boss to collect 3 of the ghosts he will do a unavoidable AOE attack with massive damage? If what I am reading is true that IS MY PROBLEM.

If that is true I was failing at the last hurdle and being punished hard for it. My day is over now, feeling slightly deflated, my ego took a bashing.I have decided to not play now for the rest of the evening. I'm here now licking my wounds, gathering information so i can do better tomorrow and hopefully complete it for the first time.

This is part venting thread, part seeking help thread. So if anyone can offer any other advice you may think I need to know, then please do.

From what I have gathered from a guild friends and online sources, the last part. Grab shield sigil, dodge the skulls he fires out OR bash him to interrupt, COLLECT THE GOLD GHOSTS? then use the big stun that comes with it and burn the boss down.

To make matters worse all day I've had guildies just completing vMA and saying how easy it is lol I feel like a huge stupid dumb noob.

Saying all that I am quite happy in some respects because I went from not knowing anything to knowing enough to get to the last boss. It's just that last bit. Anyway /endventing
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1% you say? Well here is a screen of my first clear:

https://imgur.com/MNCMc2u - sorry for the potato quality

I was so mad and then i suddenly saw the achievement on screen...very close call, we have all been there. Keep going its getting better.

When the boss comes down he will do aoe but its not that big, stay out of it and then nuke him down. you might have to interrupt him from time to time. This video helped me a lot, even tho its for a stamsorc: last phase starts at 43:40min. Out of the aoe, lay you dots and then hit him like crazy... I dont think the boss was able to collect 3 ghost in my tries so i cant really answer your question about it.
    Edited by sudaki_eso on March 19, 2019 9:52PM
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My first time:

Went to stage 2 on vamp
    Saved all sigils for last part - shield will reflect his skulls back at him
    Was sure to come down with enough ultimate for burn
    Used lightning form (major expedition) to help get gold ghosts - the RNG of ghost placement can be bad sometimes.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My first time:

Went to stage 2 on vamp
    Saved all sigils for last part - shield will reflect his skulls back at him
    Was sure to come down with enough ultimate for burn
    Used lightning form (major expedition) to help get gold ghosts - the RNG of ghost placement can be bad sometimes.

Yeah I'm going to try again tomorrow. Definitely going to save all the sigils for the last part. And those ghosts will be mine! Can't wait to stand over his body!
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golden Ghosts. Don't miss them, not even one.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heal sigil to start so you can just face tank the Crematorial Guard. When you come down after crystals, shield sigil immediately, then speed sigil to beat enemies to gold ghosts. Focus all DPS on boss while between ghost hunting. After third ghost, grab power sigil, explode to stun, then burn burn burn and enjoy your Decisive Maelstrom Resto Staff!
  • MythicaLMeddLer
    MythicaLMeddLer
    ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain..I completed VMA for the first time three months or so ago..and the ladies and gentlemen here on this forum helped and encouraged me a great deal..I cruised through most of the arena on my stam dk..the final round/stage embarrassingly took me 4 days at 5 hours a session..longer then I spent in the arena as a whole..I finally completed it with sheer will..it sounds cliche..but it gets so much easier after that first time..my second time in I beat that same stage on my first try..as far as everyone else completing it and making it seem easy..just block out all of those outside forces..don't concern yourself with that..and concentrate on your goal..the best piece of advice someone here gave me as I struggled on that same stage..was to remember that this is a game..and to have fun with it..there will come a time where you too will say..that was easy...if you're looking for a few other references..I used joy divisions write up as a guide..and although deltia videos are somewhat old..I personally found them the most helpful...good luck on your adventure..
    Edited by MythicaLMeddLer on March 19, 2019 11:49PM
  • Commancho
    Commancho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vMA is pure garbage punishing you basicly for everything, even for having too high DPS. You need to build exclusivly your character for this arena and still struggle random deaths and bugs. I dont know why normal can't drop maelstorm weapons while veteran could drop perfected. It should have been reworked long time ago, maybe more people would buy Wrotghar, but it's better to release new trash furniture packs instead I guess.
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel your pain..I completed VMA for the first time three months or so ago..and the ladies and gentlemen here on this forum helped and encouraged me a great deal..I cruised through most of the arena on my stam dk..the final round/stage embarrassingly took me 4 days at 5 hours a session..longer then I spent in the arena as a whole..I finally completed it with sheer will..it sounds cliche..but it gets so much easier after that first time..my second time in I beat that same stage on my first try..as far as everyone else completing it and making it seem easy..just block out all of those outside forces..don't concern yourself with that..and concentrate on your goal..the best piece of advice someone here gave me as I struggled on that same stage..was to remember that this is a game..and to have fun with it..there will come a time where you too will say..that was easy...if you're looking for a few other references..I used joy divisions write up as a guide..and although deltia videos are somewhat old..I personally found them the most helpful...good luck on your adventure..

What you said about it just being a game and try to have fun with it, you're right. If i die, i die. Just try again. It's so easy to allow yourself to have a damaged ego and forget you're playing for fun.

I can imagine vMA being the cause of many a broken keyboard or monitor over the years though!
  • MythicaLMeddLer
    MythicaLMeddLer
    ✭✭✭
    That's what someone had suggested to me..that to remember it was just a game..not to take things so seriously..and to just have fun..by the time I was told that..I had died so many times that it wasn't even frustrating anymore..I was numb..so I thought about it some..took a deep breath..and started trying to enjoy the experience of just trying to figure it out..keep at it..I'm not the worse player..but I'm not the best either..I think that first time I didn't even make it through on skill..it was just sheer will to get it done..it is definitely worth the effort..the feeling that you get when you finally beat it is worth the struggle I'm my option..it may not be as big a feeling to some..but to me it was my most proud moment in this game..
    Edited by MythicaLMeddLer on March 20, 2019 4:33AM
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you how i do it. Maybe it will help.

As soon as i jump down i grab defence. The real trick tho is timing when u jump down.. so you need to leave an aoe on the last crystal and jump down and let aoe finish killing rhe crystal. This will give you time to geab shield.

Then u need to light attack and throw aoe etc get the ghosts and move to the weapon power sigil.
    Wait till he streaks drop ulti and bash if u need. Do not try to kill anything else just work on boss. You will soon have all 3 ghosts hit x and your good to go.

• Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The funny part is once you have done vma a couple times you will soon realise he is the easiest boss in there I’d suggest getting the haste sigil before you go up kill two pillars and just before the third dies leave your dots on it and jump down the middle and grab shield sigil and let the boss come down and laugh as you don’t need to interrupt and he basically dies the second he teleports
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Idk if this appeals to you or not, but werewolf is laughably easy in vma. I got carried to a quick flawless by WW, got my weapons, probably never going in that hellhole ever again.

rip decibel
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just grab all the sigils. They're all useful at that point of the fight.

Also, consider swapping out a still for crushing shock. When he starts channeling his skull thing, you can interrupt him with that.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In an ideal world, you should jump down from the platform before the last crystal dies from the dot or pet. This gives you a couple of seconds to prepare. However, usually you will be pushed down into the lava.
    The most important thing is: stabilize. Do NOT try to burn him down right away, stay cool. Grab the shield sigil, sprint (!) to the main boss and interrupt his necrotic wave. Then start damaging the boss but do not focus him. Instead, play it safe, play the mechanics, kill the summoners and the daedroth and grab the golden ghosts if you can, then trigger the stun and ulti him. It's all about playing it safe really.
    Edited by thorwyn on March 20, 2019 7:30AM
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ...and let the boss come down and laugh as you don’t need to interrupt and he basically dies the second he teleports

Are you sure about that?
    The shield does reflect the skull attack, but not the necrotic wave since this is an aoe-effect as far as I know?!
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I did it guys! Finally.

The advice to save the sigils was very very helpful. Gave me a tougher time working my way to the boss, but it was worth it. As soon as the final stage hit, i scooped them all up, focused the mechanics... i was still shaking (i get nervous)

The sigils really help a lot. Mad respect to the guys and girls who do it without using any and without dying.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    In an ideal world, you should jump down from the platform before the last crystal dies from the dot or pet. This gives you a couple of seconds to prepare. However, usually you will be pushed down into the lava.
    The most important thing is: stabilize. Do NOT try to burn him down right away, stay cool. Grab the shield sigil, sprint (!) to the main boss and interrupt his necrotic wave. Then start damaging the boss but do not focus him. Instead, play it safe, play the mechanics, kill the summoners and the daedroth and grab the golden ghosts if you can, then trigger the stun and ulti him. It's all about playing it safe really.

Why would you interrupt him if you're grabbing the defensive sigil? Leave him stuck in that animation so you can just get in some easy DPS.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• greenmachine
    greenmachine
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! On that last boss there are a few things I find important:

1. Stay calm
    2. You don't have to get all three crystals down in one trip upstairs. My preference is to get 2 down, roll backwards into the lava, ulti the Crematorial Guard, and go back up for the last crystal, with a lower DoT and build my ulti back up.
    3. Get the Defense (shield) sigil and let the boss reflect skulls back at himself for free DPS.
    4. Get gold ghosts, kill the summoner, ulti the Crematorial Guard, and interrupt the boss skull attack after the sigil wears off. All prioritized over DPSing the boss.

When I can calmly execute that stuff in that order, I get the clear. If I just try to go crazy and burn him down, I die.
    greenmachine513 PS4-NA
    GM of Aldmeri People's Front
    Ionien - Altmer Mag Sorc Stormproof | Dr Jonny Fever - Breton Healplar | Bernie Dresden - Dunmer MagDK | Crushasaurus Rex - Argonian Stam DK
    Ser Greywulf - Nord DK Tank | Meow Kapwn - Khajit Magblade | Twink Versatile - Bosmer Stamblade | Loke-Tarr - Orc Stamden | Juicy Thunderthighs - Redguard Stamsorc | Frizz Grizzberg - Magden | Hax Killstealer - Dunmer Mag Sorc
    HEY HEY HEY SMOKE SKOOMA EVERYDAY
    JOIN THE APF ON PS4NA:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/400830/aldmeri-peoples-front-recruiting-ps4na#latest

HAIL DAEDRA
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Congratulations! On that last boss there are a few things I find important:

1. Stay calm
    2. You don't have to get all three crystals down in one trip upstairs. My preference is to get 2 down, roll backwards into the lava, ulti the Crematorial Guard, and go back up for the last crystal, with a lower DoT and build my ulti back up.
    3. Get the Defense (shield) sigil and let the boss reflect skulls back at himself for free DPS.
    4. Get gold ghosts, kill the summoner, ulti the Crematorial Guard, and interrupt the boss skull attack after the sigil wears off. All prioritized over DPSing the boss.

When I can calmly execute that stuff in that order, I get the clear. If I just try to go crazy and burn him down, I die.

Thanks, it felt good!
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was frustrating to me until I realized I did not have to speedrun the crystal phase. If for some reason I did not DPS fast enough on the crystal phase I just jumped down and then killed the adds again and then go back up and finish. This really unlocked this entire boss fight for me and allowed me to kill him without much frustration.

The only other thing I needed to do was prioritize getting the gold ghosts and the fight was over.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've put about a total of 10 hours on the last boss and have not been able to get past the crystal phase yet. If I drop/fall down between crystals, I immediately have the clanfear and the guard on me and I'm dead from them plus the debuff.

I've tried building for max damage, tried going more tanky+health, tried something in between, nothing works.

The debuff, the skull, the spike skill, the guard and the clan fear all hit me with 1 second of each other and it's game over
    Edited by Katahdin on March 20, 2019 7:31PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    I've put about a total of 10 hours on the last boss and have not been able to get past the crystal phase yet. If I drop/fall down between crystals, I immediately have the clanfear and the guard on me and I'm dead from them plus the debuff.

I've tried building for max damage, tried going more tanky+health, tried something in between, nothing works.

The debuff, the skull, the spike skill, the guard and the clan fear all hit me with 1 second of each other and it's game over

Strange, i found the crystal mechanic the easiest part to deal with. As i already mentioned it was the very final part i found tough.

Are you blocking the skulls the boss fires? Or you can dodge roll them. Avoid the red circles. And hide behind the rock walls to avoid being blasted off.

I've only just completed my first run thus morning so I'm by no means an expert. But i'd suggest destroying all three crystals in one go', that's what i personally found easier because falling down means having to deal with more mobs.
    Edited by Neoealth on March 20, 2019 9:32PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

Assuming you are doing mechanics right upstairs (block/dodge skulls, avoid red circles that stun you, hide behind wall during boss explosion), but simply cannot get all 3 crystals down before incoming damage becomes too much or wall moves too quickly, you might consider grabbing power sigil before heading upstairs. Most people save it to burn boss at end, but having the extra damage to take out crystals faster might be just what you need. There is a lot to keep track of during final phase (boss, avoiding silver ghosts, grabbing golden ghosts, using synergy at correct time to stun Crematorial Guard, not letting mages summon Bone Colossus, etc.), but it is not a DPS race. The power sigil is nice, but slow and steady works on final part of fight.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    His name is Voriak Solkyn and he is my sworn enemy!
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • corvair62
    corvair62
    ✭✭✭
    sudaki_eso wrote: »
    1% you say? Well here is a screen of my first clear:

https://imgur.com/MNCMc2u - sorry for the potato quality

I was so mad and then i suddenly saw the achievement on screen...very close call, we have all been there. Keep going its getting better.

When the boss comes down he will do aoe but its not that big, stay out of it and then nuke him down. you might have to interrupt him from time to time. This video helped me a lot, even tho its for a stamsorc: last phase starts at 43:40min. Out of the aoe, lay you dots and then hit him like crazy... I dont think the boss was able to collect 3 ghost in my tries so i cant really answer your question about it.

JDub is a good streamer as well, try out his streams if you have not. He is on twitch just about daily under JDUL3
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I beat the boss is when I was concentrating hard on the mechanics and prioritizing the enemies. Being more analytic about it took my mind off the emotive factor quite a bit.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure a lot of advice has been given so I will hold back on that.

One thing I will say, once you get that boss down you will end up considering it a very easy boss. Probably the poison round or ice round will be the one that will annoy you long term. Poison round only due to RNG of having a poison plant explode under the shield during the bosses scream.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I am sure a lot of advice has been given so I will hold back on that.

One thing I will say, once you get that boss down you will end up considering it a very easy boss. Probably the poison round or ice round will be the one that will annoy you long term. Poison round only due to RNG of having a poison plant explode under the shield during the bosses scream.

I am begining to think this very thing.. posion round sucks.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoealth wrote: »
    I did it guys! Finally.

The advice to save the sigils was very very helpful. Gave me a tougher time working my way to the boss, but it was worth it. As soon as the final stage hit, i scooped them all up, focused the mechanics... i was still shaking (i get nervous)

The sigils really help a lot. Mad respect to the guys and girls who do it without using any and without dying.

Adrenaline is the best drug known to man.
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    My first clear happened recently, after a lot of failures. Ya, grab those ghosts for sure.
    The part I kept forgetting was to interrupt the boss during thatbfinal phase when you get back down. Watch for his animation. There is a lot going on and that interrupt needs to happen.
    I had a total of 3 1% deaths.
    You will get it. You have come this far, you got this