The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Search for unknown motifs

Floschi
Floschi
Soul Shriven
Hey everyone,

Is it possible with the new update to search for unknown motifs?
That would be so awesome to complete some of my motif books 😍
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are on PC, then the add-on Awesome Guild Store has that feature. The Craftstore add-on will put a symbol next to the motif that labels whether you know it or not as well (an alternate symbol if any "tracked" character doesn't know it as well)

If you are on console, then at least you can know check your achievements and know which ones you are missing and search for just that specific ones.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Floschi
    Floschi
    Soul Shriven
    I am on console and have far too many unknown motifs to check them individually 😅
    This is why I was wondering if one could search for unknown ones.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Floschi wrote: »
    I am on console and have far too many unknown motifs to check them individually 😅

No, but you can be systematic about your searches. What you ultimately want to focus on is two things: learning cheap motifs first, and making sure you completely learn an entire motif. The recent improvements to the guild store UI are going to make this an order of magnitude easier for you than it was for folks like me who did it all before the change. Believe me, you have it good - it's incredibly easy now compared to before.

I would first start with learning cheap motifs. Use text search "motif," limit search returns to purple rarity, and set price limit to 10k. It's not that hard to rapidly scroll through these listings and pick out what you don't know. You will probably complete a few motifs that way without really trying to.

Once you do that, you can start focusing on completing the entire motif. Again, this is worlds easier with the new UI because all you have to do is type the name of the motif in and bam, done. It's not that hard to scroll through listings and keep an eye out for ones you have not learned. To check what chapters you need - because you could search for specific chapters now too - look under the "achievements" menu and the zone/DLC associated with that motif.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would have been really nice for them to include that filter when they updated the UI for the guild traders. Do that for motifs, recipes, furnishing plans, etc...
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

It would have been really nice for them to include that filter when they updated the UI for the guild traders. Do that for motifs, recipes, furnishing plans, etc...

Yes it would be nice to have the hide known filter. That is why so many of us kept saying that in the PTS testing and so advocate that addition, so that console players can have a greater experience.

Best option, get a 3 x5 or 5 x 6 card, left side list the motif piece and across the top list as many styles as you can. Then look at your achievements and check off the ones you have. This way you have a faster reference when you limit the search to a style on the card as the key search.

Not ideal but at least it's faster that rechecking each achievement.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_JessicaFolsom , @ZOS_RobGarrett We need a Hide known filter in the trader search
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The results of many searches can be cached, so if another player asks the same question, the result is already found., and it's a lot faster. "Unknown" is always specific to a single player, and can't be cached.

That may not be the reason they didn't do it, but it would put it down the priority list.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    The results of many searches can be cached, so if another player asks the same question, the result is already found., and it's a lot faster. "Unknown" is always specific to a single player, and can't be cached.

That may not be the reason they didn't do it, but it would put it down the priority list.

They can still use the cache and just have the filter apply to the client side of view to Hide Known motifs and recipes. Craft store shows us that this can be applied as it marks all unknown for the character and even others on the same account, without slowing the process down.

With having it this way you could un-toggle the Hide Known to view all the result without another search needed.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grimm13 wrote: »
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Yes it would be nice to have the hide known filter. That is why so many of us kept saying that in the PTS testing and so advocate that addition, so that console players can have a greater experience.

Best option, get a 3 x5 or 5 x 6 card, left side list the motif piece and across the top list as many styles as you can. Then look at your achievements and check off the ones you have. This way you have a faster reference when you limit the search to a style on the card as the key search.

Not ideal but at least it's faster that rechecking each achievement.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_JessicaFolsom , @ZOS_RobGarrett We need a Hide known filter in the trader search

Yes, we asked for it - over and over again, but they decided not to do it. It's possible they just couldn't get it done for this update and we'll see it in a future one. We can dream...

ETA: I created a spreadsheet long ago, so I can easily keep track of what I know/don't know. I've got spreadsheets for furnishing plans, too. Ah...the life of a console player, LOL.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 21, 2019 8:10PM
  • Holmarion19
    Holmarion19
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than check each achievement to discover which motif pages are known or unknown it can be quicker to check the lorebooks tab.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

Is it possible with the new update to search for unknown motifs?
    That would be so awesome to complete some of my motif books 😍

I have a couple of Android apps: ESO Helper and ESO Toolkit. Both apps track almost everything in the game including known styles. With the New UI, I can use the above given example of looking for style pages in a certain price range. Or I can go to each style's log page in the app where I've noted the pages I already have, and specifically search for the ones I don't have.

I'm on console so no addons are available to me. These two apps, while not a perfect solution, are very helpful in tracking what you have/need in the game. Both apps are free and have small, unobtrusive ads at the bottom of the screen.