Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of July 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – July 29

Hide pets option?

Olupajmibanan
Olupajmibanan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hello,
I've came up with a petsorc build that does much more dps than magNB and all stamina toons (except stamNB). I've shared this build in our guild discord and it got so popular that every magsorc in our guild is playing my petsorc build. But it got completely out of hand. Last trial we had 5 petsorcs and you can't see anything trough 5 matriarchs, 5 scamps and 5 Attronachs.

The real problem is, our trial group does not want non-pet magsorcs because they do really low DPS in comparison with magNB (why would you take non-pet sorc if you can take magNB which is a lot better?). But they don't want any petsorcs as well due to loss of vision. A war is starting, either other players are ragging because of all the pets around or magsorcs are raging because they won't be invited in trial group. I can't find a solution to this.

I was happy to see something different than magNB and stamina toons in our trial group. I was so happy to make magsorc competitive and secure them trial spot but pets size is unbearable.

Asking ZoS for hide pets option is certainly naive, but can anyone please come up with an addon that would hide, or at least reduce the transparency of pets? A lot of players from every corner would be extremely grateful for that.

Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on January 21, 2024 4:26AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Addons can't do that. Best they can do is draw a box over the pets, but I'm guessing that will probably be worse than what you have now.
    I don't really see the issue in having an official hide pets option in PvE at all. Pets are getting pretty out of hand now, so it would certainly be appreciated.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pets cannot be hidden in combat since they do affect combat, can get agro on NPCs and more. HoF, pretty sure a pet will still cause feedback damage to the group if it is hitting the boss during the terminal phases which is one prime example. The group needs to see what is causing the damage instead of assume so they can tell the player to command their pets or do not use them.
    Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    The group needs to see what is causing the damage instead of assume so they can tell the player to command their pets or do not use them.
    The group won't be able to see crap when pet sorcs eventually take over, and your screen is cluttered with a bunch of matriachs, clannfears and scamps running around the place
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    The group needs to see what is causing the damage instead of assume so they can tell the player to command their pets or do not use them.
    The group won't be able to see crap when pet sorcs eventually take over, and your screen is cluttered with a bunch of matriachs, clannfears and scamps running around the place

If they cannot see the pets are on the final boss in HoF during the terminal phase or that the enemy NPCs are standing over there ignoring pretty much everything because they are agroed on pets, which are my examples, then they probabaly should not be playing the game let alone in a raid, even SM raid.

So yes, they can see the pets regardless of how many are there so your comment seems out of place.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pets cannot be hidden in combat since they do affect combat, can get agro on NPCs and more. HoF, pretty sure a pet will still cause feedback damage to the group if it is hitting the boss during the terminal phases which is one prime example. The group needs to see what is causing the damage instead of assume so they can tell the player to command their pets or do not use them.

I'd think this would have been fixed with the pet mechanic overhauls with Mirkmire, but I also think you're correct. I think they changed the Mage's Chain Lighting to no longer arc through pets, and they can't pick up infections in SO (though, I'm not sure they ever could), but I don't think HoF was changed. Granted, I don't get in there very often.
    Edited by starkerealm on March 17, 2019 10:26PM
    Options
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it could be tied to the "Show Additional Ally Effects" video option, and only in large groups.

I don't run trials for that to be a problem, but I've wanted to hide non-combat pets sometimes.
    Options
  • Commancho
    Commancho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change your trial group. Get life seriously lmao
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd think this would have been fixed with the pet mechanic overhauls with Mirkmire, but I also think you're correct. I think they changed the Mage's Chain Lighting to no longer arc through pets, and they can't pick up infections in SO (though, I'm not sure they ever could), but I don't think HoF was changed. Granted, I don't get in there very often.

I would not expect HoF to have been changed since it is due to the pets actually doing damage during that phase. It is not a messed up mechanic, working as intended. It just requires players to properly command pets which is very simple.

But yes, throughout the game much of the issues pets caused in trials has been corrected, fortunately.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I've came up with a petsorc build that does much more dps than magNB and all stamina toons (except stamNB). I've shared this build in our guild discord and it got so popular that every magsorc in our guild is playing my petsorc build. But it got completely out of hand. Last trial we had 5 petsorcs and you can't see anything trough 5 matriarchs, 5 scamps and 5 Attronachs.

Why stop there? Get everyone running Maw of the Infernal. Then you have 8 Daedroths, 8 Matriarchs, 8 Scamps, and 8 Attronachs. Hell, get your Tanks in on the fun, bring a couple Clanfears and even more Attronachs and Daedroths.
    The real problem is, our trial group does not want non-pet magsorcs because they do really low DPS in comparison with magNB (why would you take non-pet sorc if you can take magNB which is a lot better?). But they don't want any petsorcs as well due to loss of vision. A war is starting, either other players are ragging because of all the pets around or magsorcs are raging because they won't be invited in trial group. I can't find a solution to this.

I was happy to see something different than magNB and stamina toons in our trial group. I was so happy to make magsorc competitive and secure them trial spot but pets size is unbearable.

Asking ZoS for hide pets option is certainly naive, but can anyone please come up with an addon that would hide, or at least reduce the transparency of pets? A lot of players from every corner would be extremely grateful for that.

Pets are pretty significant in a lot of ways, and shouldn't be hidden. At least not in combat. I can understand forcibly despawning them in cities, especially around the writ turn in station (or force them to stand well away from the containers.)

But... for PvE, you do kinda need to know what your pets are doing. For PvP, it's absolutely vital. You can use pets, intentionally, in PvP to screen for you. Players have to carve through all four of your buddies, and that's a lot of noise to manage, especially against a character with great, ranged, CC options.

So, being able to turn off the combat pets? I don't see it.

In the end, your raid leader sets the rules for their runs. If they say no pets; no pets. If they say, "magblade only," then you'd better have a nightblade. If they say the offtank must run Green Pact because they're a control freak... guess what? They're doing that, or choosing to lie about their loadout to the raid leader. It's their show, and they're the ones making the calls for how to configure their group composition to get the best results. Or, I should say, "the best" results.

That said, limiting everyone to magblades isn't the design goal, so someone chasing that is seriously short-sighted. Though, I'm not suggesting you take that argument to them. In general, you want a mix of classes, for the buffs and debuffs that only they can provide to the group. Then you need to decide which buffs you need, and which you can live without.
    Options
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine the lag that would cause with that many pets...
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine the lag that would cause with that many pets...

On PC, you can safely get to 24 pets without a problem, if your system is reasonable. Granted, dropping a dozen Storm Attronachs on something is a little different, but that's more of a targeting issue, with a lot of stuff, in your way, so I hope you've got tab targeting enabled.
    Options
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hello,

Why stop there? Get everyone running Maw of the Infernal. Then you have 8 Daedroths, 8 Matriarchs, 8 Scamps, and 8 Attronachs. Hell, get your Tanks in on the fun, bring a couple Clanfears and even more Attronachs and Daedroths.

Pets are pretty significant in a lot of ways, and shouldn't be hidden. At least not in combat. I can understand forcibly despawning them in cities, especially around the writ turn in station (or force them to stand well away from the containers.)

But... for PvE, you do kinda need to know what your pets are doing. For PvP, it's absolutely vital. You can use pets, intentionally, in PvP to screen for you. Players have to carve through all four of your buddies, and that's a lot of noise to manage, especially against a character with great, ranged, CC options.

So, being able to turn off the combat pets? I don't see it.

In the end, your raid leader sets the rules for their runs. If they say no pets; no pets. If they say, "magblade only," then you'd better have a nightblade. If they say the offtank must run Green Pact because they're a control freak... guess what? They're doing that, or choosing to lie about their loadout to the raid leader. It's their show, and they're the ones making the calls for how to configure their group composition to get the best results. Or, I should say, "the best" results.

That said, limiting everyone to magblades isn't the design goal, so someone chasing that is seriously short-sighted. Though, I'm not suggesting you take that argument to them. In general, you want a mix of classes, for the buffs and debuffs that only they can provide to the group. Then you need to decide which buffs you need, and which you can live without.

I am a healer so no problem for me. I just wanted to be nice and help all fellow players to get into a trial. We have a lot of magsorcs in our guild.

If hiding pets is no option, then at least reducing the size of all pets into size of a scamp might be satisfactory.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on March 17, 2019 10:58PM
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... I'd like to see your build. Anything I can do better to try to mitigate 2k ms ping.... and maybe a killer build would help?
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not expect HoF to have been changed since it is due to the pets actually doing damage during that phase. It is not a messed up mechanic, working as intended. It just requires players to properly command pets which is very simple.

But yes, throughout the game much of the issues pets caused in trials has been corrected, fortunately.

On PC, it's easy. I've been told, it's not possible on the Controller UI, but I've spent so little time there, I don't know if that's true or not.
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly, I want to morph my matriarch into a little pixie/fairy healer. A Sylvan Nixad would be wonderful.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This needs to be a feature. The number of people who don't want to see these [snip] combat pets but still want to do easy damage is staggering.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 20, 2024 7:37PM
    Options
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly, I want to morph my matriarch into a little pixie/fairy healer. A Sylvan Nixad would be wonderful.

Death Pixies! Love it
    Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They would have to make the combat pets physically smaller.

:#
    Options
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hiding OTHER players' pets (but not our own) would help a lot, because we'd still be able to see what our own pets are doing, but the visual clutter of all the other players' pets would be gone.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    Options
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

We've closed this thread given its age and we want to get recent feedback. If you wish to continue discussing this topic please create a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.