The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Piercing Spray weapon

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
The description on the Piercing Spray bow supposedly says:
When you deal damage with Arrow Spray, you cause enemies hit to take 50% more damage from the direct damage portion of your next Snipe, Scatter Shot, or Poison Arrow used within 5 seconds.

That reads as if a single cast of Acid Spray could buff multiple Snipes. Is that really how the weapon works? (I doubt it.)
Edited by FrancisCrawford on March 14, 2019 10:36AM
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You'd have to recast arrow spray to buff a second snipe. I'd imagine that the buff is consumed upon first snipe use, like ele weapon with succesful light attacks.
    Edited by UntilValhalla13 on March 14, 2019 9:26AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd have to recast arrow spray to buff a second snipe. I'd imagine that the buff is consumed upon first snipe use, like ele weapon with succesful light attacks.

This is correct.

OP, read what you included in your OP. It specifically states it buffs your NEXT . . . The 5 seconds is the time frame that skill must occur in. It is worded very clearly.
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't know asylum bow dropped in cloudrest.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

This is correct.

OP, read what you included in your OP. It specifically states it buffs your NEXT . . . The 5 seconds is the time frame that skill must occur in. It is worded very clearly.

But you deal damage with Acid Spray each second for many seconds. So if what was written was actually accurate, the next tick after your Snipe would reestablish the buff.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is correct.

But you deal damage with Acid Spray each second for many seconds. So if what was written was actually accurate, the next tick after your Snipe would reestablish the buff.

That is not how it works which makes sense because only one morph has the DoT.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This is correct.

That is not how it works which makes sense because only one morph has the DoT.

Hence this thread. It seemed very likely that the behavior would be different from what was written, but I wanted to check. Thank you to all who responded.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stands to reason that the added 45% damage (including the tiks) only lasts during the 5 seconds.
    once the 5 seconds ends then your tik looses that extra damage, unless ofcourse you re-activate it constantly with spamming arrow spray.
    if you are wearing a monster helm and two 5 piece sets, then equipping this bow will cause you to loose the damage given by a 5 piece damage sets abilities, and that play as a constant role in added damage instead of being forced to spam arrow spray.

Edited by Gilvoth on March 14, 2019 6:28PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've used this bow in conjunction with the StamDK "Claw of the Mad God" build and for PVP. Its a one-time buff per acid spray
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (if you are playing an archer playstyle) then, in the end you loose, because you are forced into close proximity in order to cast the arrow spray. where you could have had the advantage of a 5 piece set.

sounds like it is best used in pve rather than pvp.

Edited by Gilvoth on March 14, 2019 6:21PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the asylum Bow:

Bow - Apostle

Bind on Pickup

Piercing Spray

(2 items) When you deal damage with Arrow Spray, you cause enemies hit to take 45% more damage from the direct damage portion of your next Snipe, Scatter Shot, or Poison Arrow used within 5 seconds.

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Piercing+Spray+Set
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    (if you are playing an archer playstyle) then, in the end you loose, because you are forced into close proximity in order to cast the arrow spray. where you could have had the advantage of a 5 piece set.

Someone has never seen an Asylum Snipe build in PvP...

And no class in the game can sustain the disaster that is Acid Spray in PvE.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »

you have an Asylum bow build to show us here in this "Player helping Player" section of the forums?
    would love to see it.

something like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssKsNe7wV7o

from what we see in that video, maintains my point, that unless you kill the enemy instantly in pvp, then you are forced to be too close to the enemy, and you lost the added damage sustain you would have had with a 5 pc set that you loose by equipting this bow, and this set is best used in pve.
    even with:
    Eagle Eye

(2 items) Adds 833 Weapon Critical.

(3 items) Increases range of Bow abilities by 3 meters.

you still too close.
    like said earlier, if you have a build that uses this bow please share, would love see it.
    (for pvp ofcourse)
    Edited by Gilvoth on March 14, 2019 7:24PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    the asylum Bow:

Bow - Apostle

Bind on Pickup

Piercing Spray

(2 items) When you deal damage with Arrow Spray, you cause enemies hit to take 45% more damage from the direct damage portion of your next Snipe, Scatter Shot, or Poison Arrow used within 5 seconds.

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Piercing+Spray+Set

Exactly the source I was using.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I got interested in Arrow Spray because:
    • I vastly prefer ranged play, and hence have some interest in bow-bow.
    • I had a somewhat leveled, unused Redguard DK standing around.
    • I think getting a 62% cost reduction on skills is hilarious.

The DK in question doesn't even have Vigor and Caltrops yet, so I've only been trying her in very easy content, such as duoing various of the easiest 14 dungeons with a tank partner who isn't supremely leveled yet either. But for those easy challenges she's fine. Spamming Acid Spray (and in that build Acid Spray is a spammable) gives pretty decent AoE damage.

I'm getting bored with this build quickly, because the cast time of Lethal Arrow grates on me. But it was briefly a fun change of pace.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »

By no means is the Asylum Bow on the level of VMA or Master's Bows. I'd even take a golded-out VO bow on a normal build. But if someone is intent on working Acid Spray into their rotation, I grudgingly recommend the Asylum Bow.

PVP on the other hand...
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when i think of using the Asylum bow ... for pvp, it makes me think of what he says @ 0:17 and what happens to him @ the end of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvuW2Jl5ZyY
    Edited by Gilvoth on March 16, 2019 5:34AM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Bow builds dont automatically equatr to hanging out 28m away and landing damage from a hill or keep wall.

You absolutely can play the bow archetype at mid range and kite, as is normally the case with bow classes /builds in nearly any mmo that has them.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Bow builds dont automatically equatr to hanging out 28m away and landing damage from a hill or keep wall.

You absolutely can play the bow archetype at mid range and kite, as is normally the case with bow classes /builds in nearly any mmo that has them.

you mean let people chase me around a tree and a rock and a building while we run and jump and spam heals while being chased. no thank you, i want to be as far away from the enemy as i can in both pvp and pve, it works well and is how archer is played.
    its not meant to be used toe to toe
    i have zero interest in that type of playstyle. we need to be a great distance away from enemies on a constant basis.

but to stay on topic here in this thread, we are spose to be helping player helping player in this section of the forums.
    this subject isnt about me, its about helping discuss the assylum bow, and im sharing my help on this topic about that assylum bow showing that it will not end well for you if you use that bow in pvp as a nightblade archer UNless you are built like a tank and you can handle toe to toe combat for long periods while slowly trying to snipe immediate after constant arrow spray casting.
    if you are a dragonight tank or something similar to that it might not be so bad because that class is built to withstand tanking much better and wont die as fast, however, being able to spam arrow spray and snipe might not work very good as far as stamina sustain.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you are a dragonight tank or something similar to that it might not be so bad because that class is built to withstand tanking much better and wont die as fast, however, being able to spam arrow spray and snipe might not work very good as far as stamina sustain.

I started this thread because I was wondering whether the great sustain DKs could get spamming poison morphs of bow skills could somehow be used as the basis of a decent build.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I started this thread because I was wondering whether the great sustain DKs could get spamming poison morphs of bow skills could somehow be used as the basis of a decent build.

im not a dragonight, i only play nightblade class as my main, even though i do have a maxed out dragonight that is a bow user, i find the stamina sustain of dragonight using arrow spray is not going to last long enough to keep my doing awesome damage, especially if i am forced to spam it with this assylum bow.
    because just like you mentioned earlier, "the snipe skill is simply too slow" and it makes my dps way too slow.
    would be really nice though if we could see a dragonight build on this subject using this assylum bow and see it work effectively.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9L5tmT_fc

check this one patch outdated in non english spoken video quite effectie build utilizing asylum on stamdk