The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Stam or Magblade ?

drakeos99
drakeos99
✭✭✭
Yet currently level 31 stamblade and still kinda struggling with dps and rotations (yet having hard time) so wondering if i should respec to magblade and push to 50+ and have easier time leveling in PvE ?
Edited by drakeos99 on March 4, 2019 11:31AM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamblade
    Options
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblade has better sustain and it's much safer to play mag because you got range and shields.

Also why are you trying to deal top tier DPS on level 31?
    Edited by KhajiitFelix on March 4, 2019 11:36AM
    Options
  • iAmLoki97
    iAmLoki97
    ✭✭✭
    I would say StamBlade. They have great DPS.
    Options
  • drakeos99
    drakeos99
    ✭✭✭
    Magblade has better sustain and it's much safer to play mag because you got range and shields.

Also why are you trying to deal top tier DPS on level 31?

Im not just struggling with quests and stuff :( at 31
    Options
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you’re struggling with quests it’s more likely it’s your gear rather than your choice for stam or mag. What sets are you currently running? If you dont have two 5 piece bonuses already, try to get some sets that give bonuses to stamina damage, namely Hunding’s Rage and Night Mother’s Gaze which can be crafted by someone if you ask in chat.

Those should get you up to 50 and then you’ll probably wanna recraft those two sets for level 50 to start earning CP
    Options
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stamblade has a bit less busy rotation than magblade and hits ridiculously hard. I'd recommend maybe Kvatch Gladiator or something else, as opposed to Night Mother's Gaze, since NMG basically does what surprise attack (a stamblade's main attack) does. If you don't have vigor yet, you're probably stuck with something like funnel health as a heal.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stamblade has a bit less busy rotation than magblade and hits ridiculously hard. I'd recommend maybe Kvatch Gladiator or something else, as opposed to Night Mother's Gaze, since NMG basically does what surprise attack (a stamblade's main attack) does. If you don't have vigor yet, you're probably stuck with something like funnel health as a heal.

Gonna have to politely disagree. Kvatch Gladiator is trash, especially compared to Hundlings and NMG, especially when your execute skills push out way more damage than a heavy attack plus the Kvatch bonus when the target is under 25%.

I would head to Bangkorai and farm Spriggans, pair it with Hundlings and destroy all. That is pretty much the best stamblade combo before you get into dungeon/trials gear. Or, if you have access to Wrothgar, farm Briarheart. The third option that isn't run much anymore is Morag Tong and go a little heavier on the poison skills and glyphs. Or pony up some gold at a guild trader and buy them. All three can pair nicely with Hundlings.

I'm currently running a dark elf stamblade that started as a magblade. Both put out tons of DPS, even though the dark elf is not the "meta" stam race (I'm on PS4, don't have the racial changes yet). The difference is the magblade has a much more complex (dynamic) rotation and has great sustain. Stamblade is easier to play, has a static rotation, but lower sustain. You can boost the sustain with food like Dubious Camoran Throne, weapon glyphs, the Vicious Ophidian set, or a monster set like Stormfist.

EDIT: Forgot one thing. You should not worry about farming end-game or hard to obtain gear until you get to CP 160, i.e. trials/dungeon/monster gear. Everything prior to that is worthless once you hit CP 160.
    Edited by El_Borracho on March 5, 2019 10:26PM
    Options
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After looking Kvatch up, I was mistaken in what the set did. I thought it was just crit and weapon damage. Yeah, that 5 piece is not what I remember at all. Brain no work good sometimes lol.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka is easier to level because it has better self-healing.

That said, as much fun as it is to play a stamblade thief, the healing morph of Cloak could help. And if you enjoy PvP, unlocking Vigor is a BIG help for stamblades. (So is Caltrops, but that's just for damage.)

Outside of that, don't forget food. Always use food. It's easy to get. If nothing else, it's so cheap and easy to make it's the one thing you can ask strangers for without embarrassment. I'll be glad to give you some if you're on PC/NA.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on March 6, 2019 10:19AM
    Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <snip> Or, if you have access to Wrothgar, farm Briarheart. <snip>

My experience is that the jewelry just won't drop, because you need it. This option is only going to work if you have Summerset, and can craft the Jewelry (as part of the Hunding's, not the Briarheart). The pre-Summerset convention is to get dropped jewelry from Dolmens, and Briarheart doesn't come that way; you need to get it from chests, quests etc. The rings and necks can be bought from Guild Traders, but they know how hard they are to get, and price accordingly.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    <snip> Or, if you have access to Wrothgar, farm Briarheart. <snip>

My experience is that the jewelry just won't drop, because you need it. This option is only going to work if you have Summerset, and can craft the Jewelry (as part of the Hunding's, not the Briarheart). The pre-Summerset convention is to get dropped jewelry from Dolmens, and Briarheart doesn't come that way; you need to get it from chests, quests etc. The rings and necks can be bought from Guild Traders, but they know how hard they are to get, and price accordingly.

Its hard to get, you are correct, as there are not dolmens. Its all RNG and chests. Best bet is to run those daily quests and get either blue or purple jewelry. So you'd have the expense of improving it. You can buy the jewelry, but it is also expensive. But its a really, really good non-trials gear set for stamina builds. The balancing act is how much more can you squeeze out of it than from the Hundling's/Spriggans combo to make it worthwhile.

If the OP wants to run some dungeons, then I would say ignore Briarheart and go farm Leviathan. Not a hard dungeon, and a great stamina set. Its comparable to Briarheart in terms of the damage you can dish.

But again, all of this should be after the OP hits CP 160. No point until then
    Options
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who started as a Stambalde and switched to Mageblade...let me give you my advice.

Try both and see which one YOU enjoy more.

People will suggest one over the other but in the end, it comes down to your play style and what you would enjoy playing more. I stuck with a Mageblade simply because I enjoyed having a shield I could use. I also found the rotation much easier for me with my play style since I liked to go balls-to-the-wall on ads. Not saying you can't with a Stambalde but they are harder to manage IMO. It's jut so much nicer to lay down AOE's and heavy attack with a lightning staff and watch them melt while I get resources back (key here is lightning staff HA affecting multiple targets while no stam HA does this to this degree...plus pair this with the maelstrom staff and yaaasss). It just feels more foul-proof for me. And because I can be a clumsy player and derp in the middle of VMA, I have an "Oh shi*" burst heal ready so yes, I run Destro/resto for solo content.
    Edited by Kuramas9tails on March 7, 2019 3:00PM
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
      Options