The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Animation Cancelling Inconsistencies in and out of combat

Aetavicus
Aetavicus
Soul Shriven
I am a pretty new player to ESO and I am trying out to do the following animation cancelling combo: Light Attack -> Skill -> Block.
For the skill, let's use Surge as an example. What I am noticing is that out of combat, I able to do the combo 100% of the time but tapping each of the buttons right after each other and the actions cancel each other out. However, once I enter combat with an enemy, the combo only works occasionally or stops working at all even with the same timing. Does anyone know of any tips to resolve this issue?
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually you do a shield bash rather than just block to cancel. Dont know if thats just a useless asside comment or if it will help.

I dont block cancel myself but I know someone who does. I like my PVP like and easy.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Aetavicus
    Aetavicus
    Soul Shriven
    That's interesting I will try it out. However, is there any particular reason why the timing changes from in and out of combat?
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aetavicus wrote: »
    That's interesting I will try it out. However, is there any particular reason why the timing changes from in and out of combat?

Essentially ping change. Combat, especially if you go into pvp, will raise your ping a bit. Animation canceling requires a small delay between each action (I thought I read .15 seconds but don't quote me on that) in order to fire. If you're used to, say, 120 ping and animation canceling in that you will have a harder time and need a different cadence in 200 ping.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on March 5, 2019 2:19PM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aetavicus wrote: »
    I am a pretty new player to ESO and I am trying out to do the following animation cancelling combo: Light Attack -> Skill -> Block.
    For the skill, let's use Surge as an example. What I am noticing is that out of combat, I able to do the combo 100% of the time but tapping each of the buttons right after each other and the actions cancel each other out. However, once I enter combat with an enemy, the combo only works occasionally or stops working at all even with the same timing. Does anyone know of any tips to resolve this issue?

Yeah dont do it because it isnt even providing a tangible benefit. Or do you really want to eat into your stam for that juicy OP bash burst damage? Blocking immediately after a skill is not speeding anything up and doing so when there is nothing incoming that actually needs to be blocked is a waste of time, energy and potentially a regen tick.
    Edited by exeeter702 on March 5, 2019 11:03PM