The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What type of homestead do you prefer?

Bosco916
Bosco916
✭✭✭
Some people would have huge homes all to themselves and are undaunted by the task of filling them.
Others would rather a small space capable of fitting everything they need.
Which do you prefer?
"How DARE you betray me, Tharn!
Your suffering shall be LEGENDRY!"
--The King of Worms

What type of homestead do you prefer? 82 votes

Staple Homes
8%
Bosco916AdamskiAldersTruthsnarkRaddlemanNumber7CastiarCMDR_Un1k0rnprincesspurpleblob 7 votes
Classic Homes
63%
NestorlaurajfCireouschuck-18_ESOPheefsSantieClawsMorgha_KulElsonsoPathOlauronHidesFromSunDraxysJayne_DoeAmphithoeGarishdtsharplesTBoiscode65536SnowZeniaTankinatorFR 52 votes
Notable Homes
28%
k1llorbek1lledalexj4596b14_ESOIruil_ESOTurelusSotha_SilNerouynIndorilArwynLlethranJoosef_KivikilpiDelphiniaShadow_AkulajeedrzejShinshadowboggoGothrockHippie4927MinyassaWildRaptorXCharon74mayasunrisingtactx 23 votes
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notable Homes
    Personally I prefer large homes I like the challenge of furnishing the large areas
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    For decorating I like the classic as the item count seems to match better. While I like the larger houses the number of items they allow, to me, makes them feel incomplete.
  • DragonHeart000
    Notable Homes
    I like the larger homes since there is so much more you can do with it. I currently have the CWC house as my primary residence and it's a good size, I've filled it up and am quite satisfied with it. Still will continue to update it as I keep getting more stuff/ideas.
    @DragonHeart000 NA PC
    Guild Master For <Discontinued> a guild for collectors of discontinued items!
    Guild Discord: https://discord.gg/w7bNDCu
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notable Homes
    Give me space glorious space to gloriously fill with glorious stuff! :wink:
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other....

Just give me the RIFT housing setup thanks.
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    I find it easiest to decorate classic homes. Most of them have a garden and a nicely-sized inside, and most of the time the item limit is enough to make both areas look neat or cozy when furniture is maxed.
    Small homes are nice, too, but many of them lack a garden, and I want my garden!!!
    While I like the notable homes per se, i find decorating them rather tedious. I often lose interest after doing one room and then it looks as if my characters were just in the process of moving in... moving crates everywhere xD.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notable Homes
    I really like the large ones, I just don't find the time to decorate them.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notable Homes
    Go big or go home.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    I tend to lean toward the classic homes, as I like a few rooms and a yard. However, most every one of them has some fatal flaw that prevents me getting them.
    Gardiner House is excellent in many ways, for example, but lacks several key elements. Its location is excellent, and keeps a sense of being in the actual world of the game by having the neighbouring houses towering around. It has a narrow, but nice enough yard. It has the aesthetic of the Breton architecture, which I like. However, the interior has no character, it's just big open spaces with no walls. You can't have any ROOMS in there. It also lacks a balcony.
    Grymharth's Woe is one I'm considering too. It has a nice layout, and an upstairs BEDROOM, which is excellent. It lacks a yard, however. It does have a "balcony" of sorts, and even better it's one that looks out on the actual WORLD, it's not an instance! However, it's far too small to be useful in any way. I've asked that they make it a bit wider, perhaps double what it is now.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    House with the best size - to - furniture slots ratio.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on February 27, 2019 9:15AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    Large classic.

The Alinor Townhouse is about the perfect size - or, would be if it had a basement.

Although, maybe that would make it a (small) Notable?

I like the smaller houses, too, though.

...and of course, the big houses can be impressive (although, not all are), but not with the current furniture limit.
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 27, 2019 9:38AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    Turelus wrote: »
    I really like the large ones, I just don't find the time to decorate them.

That's why you like them.

If you'd tried decorating them, you would probably feel differently.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    I tend to lean toward the classic homes, as I like a few rooms and a yard. However, most every one of them has some fatal flaw that prevents me getting them.
    Gardiner House is excellent in many ways, for example, but lacks several key elements. Its location is excellent, and keeps a sense of being in the actual world of the game by having the neighbouring houses towering around. It has a narrow, but nice enough yard. It has the aesthetic of the Breton architecture, which I like. However, the interior has no character, it's just big open spaces with no walls. You can't have any ROOMS in there. It also lacks a balcony.
    Grymharth's Woe is one I'm considering too. It has a nice layout, and an upstairs BEDROOM, which is excellent. It lacks a yard, however. It does have a "balcony" of sorts, and even better it's one that looks out on the actual WORLD, it's not an instance! However, it's far too small to be useful in any way. I've asked that they make it a bit wider, perhaps double what it is now.

The issue with both Grymharth's Woe and Old Mistveil - as they have the same interior layout (aside from the small hallway in Mistveil) - is that the upstairs is only about 2/3 the width of the downstairs (if that).

The other third (or more) is given over to a balcony.

Whereas, if they made the upstairs the same width as the downstairs, with a corridor with 2 or 3 separate rooms off it and a master bedroom at the end, it would be pretty perfect.

Then they could always add a balcony (at Old Mistveil) that overhung the downstairs; rather than stealing space from the upstairs.

They're still both pretty good choices as they are, though, as they are one of the few options with a good furnishings to size ratio.
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 27, 2019 9:52AM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Notable Homes
    I love all of them, the small ones and the medium ones and the large ones. I'm not intimidated by a lot of space and I'm not unsatisfied with a small one (as long as it has a bit of outside to go with it). I like all the house types equally. Gotta catch 'em all!
  • IndorilArwynLlethran
    Notable Homes
    Coldharbor house. Just a space I can use on my own taste. No walls, no rooms, I can do whatever I want with it.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    The medium size manages to combine a good slot-to-size ratio with being big enough for everything I want to place there. But Twin Arches is officially Staple, while managing to be just big enough, so there's some overlap.

And I'd always need a larger Notable to display all the trophies, busts, and other stuff. How many places have room for Vvardenfell, or some of the large statues? Got to have them all.
    Edited by ghastley on February 27, 2019 6:37PM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Staple Homes
    I like the smaller homes. Places where I can make one character feel at home, not lost and all alone in an empty mansion.
    PC EU
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Classic Homes
    ghastley wrote: »
    The medium size manages to combine a good slot-to-size ratio with being big enough for everything I want to place there. But Twin Arches is officially Staple, while managing to be just big enough, so there's some overlap.

Agreed. My two favorite homes (Domus Phrasticus and Ravenhurst) are Classic, but I also love my Autumn's Gate which is a Staple.
    Edited by anadandy on February 27, 2019 7:00PM
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    anadandy wrote: »

Agreed. My two favorite homes (Domus Phrasticus and Ravenhurst) are Classic, but I also love my Autumn's Gate which is a Staple.

I liked Autumn's Gate, except that you can't see over the wall in the yard. It's in a great spot with potentially a great view, but then they blocked it! They did this with many of the nicer houses, actually. It's why I like the Cyrodiilic Jungle House; there's a steel trellis in the wall allowing you to see through it.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Classic Homes
    I picked classic, since it encompasses both medium and large homes, so there's a lot of variety. Though I tend more toward the medium homes since the slot ratio is pretty good.

But, small homes are a lot of fun because you can really create a cozy place for a specific character. But, as said before, many of them don't have an exterior.

The only notable homes I have are Tel Galen (which is actually more along the size of Hunding's, but it has 700 slots to work with) and the Villa (which I've done very little with, since the task just seems so daunting).

What I really want in a Homestead, though, is for the exterior to match the interior! The larger the home, the more inconsistencies seem to appear.

And, I don't want gimmick homes! The Surreal Estate is great for those that like to build, same with the Grove (or whatever it's called). Then, you have a ship docked in a ruin, an Imperial lighthouse stuck in a snow globe, an open-air Orc monstrous ruin, a Villa that crammed two different architectures together (at least it was free), a couple of caverns, an island. But, some are more "homey" - the Orbservatory, Tel Galen, Linchal, and the Palace. Plus, the ones available to purchase with gold that have released with the chapters.

But, upcoming we get an arena, which is great for those that want to have an arena, and an underground Dwemer home, which is a few open rooms. I did like Frostvault Cavern when I toured it on PTS, though, so I may get that one depending on the price.

Let's hope with Elsweyr that we get more than the free inn room. MW gave us 2 (large and medium) and SS gave us only one (large). If this attrition keeps apace, only an inn room will be on offer. But, I know that's rather cynical, but really, why did SS not have a medium home somewhere out in the country? Or perhaps in one of the other towns?
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    I like the Medium and Large homes.

Especially smaller-than-the-norm homes, allowing me to fill the home with furniture without leaving too much space blank.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    anadandy wrote: »

I liked Autumn's Gate, except that you can't see over the wall in the yard. It's in a great spot with potentially a great view, but then they blocked it! They did this with many of the nicer houses, actually. It's why I like the Cyrodiilic Jungle House; there's a steel trellis in the wall allowing you to see through it.

I am using Autumn's gate as a Christmas house. The outside isn't too big or small for the snow beasts and the open interior sets itself up for a festive party place. I got a good start on it this past holiday season and hope to finish it up this holiday season.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Staple Homes
    Staple homes here.

It's not just in this game. Even my Minecraft homes are nothing more than a series of connected 3x3x2 rooms.

Heck my IRL room is quite small.

I like the challenge of decorating a small space where some stuff just doesn't fit.

Need to see if I can fit the Engine Guardian trophy in the courtyard of Twin Arches. (The best staple home IMO)
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    Need to see if I can fit the Engine Guardian trophy in the courtyard of Twin Arches. (The best staple home IMO)
    You can hang it through the courtyard wall, as it won't show outside the instance. Interior walls are a different matter. I had a lot of trouble trying to place it inside Mathiisen Manor. It's probably blocking the chimney now, but smoke in ESO is magical, so it doesn't matter.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    While I can appreciate the majesty of a large home, I really prefer a more compact home. Basically I hate running around a house to do things. The two Notable Homes I have bothered to decorate, I put all the crafting stations and storage and assistants right at the entrance. This means I have to wade through the chores area to get to the fun part of the house. Only then, I put the living stuff near the entrance too and tend to ignore the far reaches of the property.

One of these days I am going to downsize my homes and move everything to med or small homes.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    Staple homes here.

It's not just in this game. Even my Minecraft homes are nothing more than a series of connected 3x3x2 rooms.

Heck my IRL room is quite small.

I like the challenge of decorating a small space where some stuff just doesn't fit.

Some of the staple homes are very nice. Autumn's Gate, for example, or the Cyrodiilic Jungle House, are good examples. Especially when they come with a yard, as both of these do.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other: the sort of houses I could build from scratch in RIFT. Housing in ESO is.... just not very.... flexible.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Classic Homes

Twin Arches would be perfect if you could access and build on the roof. That's what stopped me from buying it, I wanted to have a little rooftop retreat like you see all over Hew's Bane but it has that danged low skybox/invisible wall.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other....

The classic homes with the 600 item counts are the easiest to decorate, being about the "right" size for that many objects. Though I'd prefer they held 700 of course. The downside to them being that they only hold 12 players when they SHOULD hold 24. I have not been completely happy with ANY of the notable homes because of the item limit issue.

I'd also add that too many of the Notable homes simply are not "homes" at all. And that is very disappointing. ALL the cultures need to be represented with at least two different Notable homes....that are actually HOMES!
    Edited by MornaBaine on March 1, 2019 3:03PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Homes
    I don't like a lot of the big houses for simply being too big (item cap doesn't help), but my personal reason being, I'd never "need" so much space, rooms, or yard. The second being, a lot of the bigger houses don't feel very "home" like, either their structure or layout, usually having very open spaces with few rooms.

Old mistveil manor (despite the name) is more like a cozy cabin which I'd take over any other (current) manor, any day.

[Edit]: Another thing I might add, a lot of larger houses seem to have this issue where interior doesn't match with exterior.
    • Mistveil has a hallway inside at the main entrance.
    • Amaya Lake Lodge is missing an entire room on the bottom floor and the room at the very top is very huge to the outside.
    • Strident Springs has windows all over that don't actually exist inside.
    • Psijic villa has a similar issue, however, it has a one sided window in the main hall that you can walk behind and "poof"! Wtf?
    • Quondam Indorilia has towers that you can see from outside, but when you walk under them inside, the ceiling is concaved the same way it is everywhere else on the upper floor.
    Edited by SirMewser on March 2, 2019 3:59PM