The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will this year's dungeons matter story-wise?

sphanlon
sphanlon
The marketing for the dlc and expansion this year says it's all interconnected. So I purchased Wrathstone so I wouldn't feel like I missed out on anything. But after playing the dungoens, I feel like the Elsweyr prologue will have the tablet thingy show up with feeling no impact whether I was on the expeditions that got it or not. I guess they have to make it not super connected in case people don't buy it all.

Am I right in feeling it would impact nothing if I skipped the fall dungoens? I usually just single-player this game, which is why I both usually avoid dungeons but also have a fear of missing content impacting new zones' stories.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No they won’t.

While they are thematically linked and function as part of a year long story arc, there’s nothing unmissable about Wrathstone. The only thing that will change in Elswyer will be a couple of lines of dialogue.

If you don’t do DLC dungeons, there’s no story reason to be getting this.

That said, I quite liked Depths of Malatar. Bit meh about Frostvault, I can see the skeevaton shuffle getting old really fast.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re the next DLC and how much it links into the story, that’s a more interesting question. Given it’s probably only at the storyboard stage, it could go in any direction. I guess ZOS will look at what impact the storyline integration of Wrathstone (such as it is) has had on sales and player use and take it from there. If we assume that there will be a DLC story pack afterwards to wrap everything up, I suspect the dungeon DLC will be entirely unnecessary.

Personally, I didn’t see a whole lot of extra story integration in Wrathstone compared to, say, the dungeon quest in Banished Cells 1. There is almost no NPC dialogue or interaction beyond the start and finish. I think the only way to allow for the kind of storytelling interaction that I would like would be for there to be some kind of optional pre-dungeon and post-dungeon quests which you would do individually as group questing doesn’t work very well.