The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ranked Battlegrounds

Jzap279
Jzap279
Soul Shriven
Hey guys, this is my first forum post.
Ive been playing ESO for about 3 years with many short breaks throughout my time. I play Battlegrounds ALOT recently as I think it to be the most fun aspect of the game currently. I understand that Battlegrounds have a hidden MMR and are technically already ranked, but what im asking for is a more official "ranked mode". End of season rewards (titles, mounts, costumes,gold etc.) And a official ranking system would improve the battlegrounds experience. Games like WoW have 2v2s and 3v3s ranked. This could also open some twitch esport opportunities for eso BGS just like WoW has.
Players feel more proud and connected to their characters when they accomplish things and their characters are visible proof of those accomplishments. Ranked BGs & Ranked BG rewards directly contribute to that. Let players prove themselves in the arena. Let them earn cool titles,mounts,costumes, and pets.

I think ESO should implement 4v4v4s ranked 3v3s ranked and 2v2s ranked.

In conclusion:
Add ranked BGs
Add rewards for the ranked BGs
And keep BGs cp free because cp pvp is not balanced or fun.

Im gonna start posting on this forum more
Cheers - John (JzAp279)
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they had 6v6s control points as ranked. Would probably work well like in TF2, Overwatch, etc.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think more does need to be done but I'm not sure on detail.

Registering for a team leader board would be cool. Same 4 under a name. Like a mini guild.

A pure 100 get gold weopons board like today is a bit bland and rewards those with play time. As they chip away doing 100's.

A not grind leader board would be good. Maybe your top 5 match scores that month etc a cup or league etc

ALSO. Private BG are needed. Guild only / invite only. For training guild mates, private comps etc
    Edited by Beardimus on February 25, 2019 7:56AM
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • IndorilArwynLlethran
    YES! Yes to OP.
    Yes to
    Beardimus wrote: »
    ALSO. Private BG are needed. Guild only / invite only. Foe training guild mates etc

• QuiCkyRa
    QuiCkyRa
    Yes! They really need to add a real ranking system, something like OW,SC2,WoW or even FFXIV has a nice ranking system. I say keep it 4v4v4 for now. Make 2 ranked playlists 1 for groups of 4 ppl and 1 for solo/duo que only. Go with the standard bronze to GM thing and let ppl grind their way up by winning games and also derank by losing games. Add real seasons with nice rewards for top 10 and top 100.
    Edited by QuiCkyRa on February 25, 2019 10:38AM
  • Jzap279
    Jzap279
    Soul Shriven
    QuiCkyRa wrote: »
    Yes! They really need to add a real ranking system, something like OW,SC2,WoW or even FFXIV has a nice ranking system. I say keep it 4v4v4 for now. Make 2 ranked playlists 1 for groups of 4 ppl and 1 for solo/duo que only. Go with the standard bronze to GM thing and let ppl grind their way up by winning games and also derank by losing games. Add real seasons with nice rewards for top 10 and top 100.

I agree, but I dont think only the top 10 and 100 should get worthwhile rewards. I dont think you meant it like that anyway. I would like them to make their own ranking system, but yeah the same theory as WoW and OW ranked. The tricky and hard situation is matchmaking groups vs solo or duo like you said.
  • Jzap279
    Jzap279
    Soul Shriven
    Urvoth wrote: »
    I wish they had 6v6s control points as ranked. Would probably work well like in TF2, Overwatch, etc.

I think 6v6 would be too hectic and wouldn't work in an MMO personally but i could be wrong id have to see it in action.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jzap279 wrote: »
    Urvoth wrote: »

I think 6v6 would be too hectic and wouldn't work in an MMO personally but i could be wrong id have to see it in action.

Why not? It's the same number of players as 4v4v4 and an objective mode would make the teams spread out.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Warhammer had 20 v 20 or something like that. Usually led to one side spawn camping the other team, the other side would sometimes come back after some idiot would pull the guards who’d one shot you, only fight again in the middle and spawn camp them again. 1 team vs 1 team doesn’t work well.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 27, 2019 1:00AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • DragonHeart000
    I seldom do BGs because they feel very pointless. If there was an actual ranking system I would really start to get into pvp. >:)
    I am 100% for it.
    @DragonHeart000 NA PC
    Guild Master For <Discontinued> a guild for collectors of discontinued items!
    Guild Discord: https://discord.gg/w7bNDCu
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Warhammer had 20 v 20 or something like that. Usually led to one side spawn camping the other team, the other side would sometimes come back after some idiot would pull the guards who’d one shot you, only fight again in the middle and spawn camp them again. 1 team vs 1 team doesn’t work well.
    You should go watch the portion of the video that I mentioned earlier in another thread. That's what frequently happens when you have 3 teams with a modicum of organization in BGs - 16 deaths in 15 minutes, with several of those deaths coming directly from being knocked into lava, with at least 1 more indirect death caused by losing those teammates to lava. It's not very likely that people would be playing ring around the roses when there are only 2 teams involved.

Insofar as spawn camping goes, there are several potential ways to deal with that, while there's really nothing that can be done - as far as I can tell, anyway - about the negative issues stemming from there being 3 teams. Not to mention the fact that a dominant team can spawn camp in BGs right now.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    16 deaths in 15 minutes? That seems ridiculously low. I’ve been in a lot of death matches that went to full time, but I also see a lot of people not assisting.

There are a couple of things I’ve seen that have contribute to low death totals:

- People don’t assist
    - Lots of aoe cc so multiple melee are too easy to cc
    - Too many people in solo specs
    - Too many people play the ranged play style who don’t contribute most of the match. They’ll spend most of their time trying to get setup, and the rest of their time trying to kill steal. This is an issue with how the game scores points
    - People playing too passively and being afraid to push

People complain a lot about cc, but I think it’s only really an issue for melee. Other issue I see is scoring. Other than that most of the issues seem to be the fault of players/tactics.

Edited by Iskiab on March 5, 2019 4:52AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One team vs one team works just fine in literally every other game that has ever been made. Please stop repeating this nonsense.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jzap279 wrote: »
    I understand that Battlegrounds have a hidden MMR and are technically already ranked, but what im asking for is a more official "ranked mode"

yea they have a hidden MMR that can only increase, even if you are on a 20 lose streak your MMR still increases, so it rather reflects time spent in BGs than skill.
    So I wouldnt say thats worthy of being called "ranked mode".
    Its just a mechanic to prevent completely new people getting absolutely rolled in their first 10-20 games, after that youll pretty much get matched with "top MMR players" (people who play BGs regularly, no matter the skill) every game.

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    16 deaths in 15 minutes? That seems ridiculously low. I’ve been in a lot of death matches that went to full time, but I also see a lot of people not assisting.

There are a couple of things I’ve seen that have contribute to low death totals:

- People don’t assist
    - Lots of aoe cc so multiple melee are too easy to cc
    - Too many people in solo specs
    - Too many people play the ranged play style who don’t contribute most of the match. They’ll spend most of their time trying to get setup, and the rest of their time trying to kill steal. This is an issue with how the game scores points
    - People playing too passively and being afraid to push

People complain a lot about cc, but I think it’s only really an issue for melee. Other issue I see is scoring. Other than that most of the issues seem to be the fault of players/tactics.

That’s not a ridiculously low number of deaths for a BG with organized premades at a high MMR tier, @Iskiab — that’s the norm. The issue is not solo specs, but rather tether guarding and dedicated healing. Organized BGs with dedicated healers are boring as hell. They are predictable slug-fests. That’s why I prefer to queue with randoms; keeps things interesting, and people actually DIE.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I solo queue as well and pvp heal. People do die though. Highest I’ve hit in total healing is 1.5 million. Is it higher in those matches?

Otherwise I can’t help thinking it’s a damage issue.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I solo queue as well and pvp heal. People do die though. Highest I’ve hit in total healing is 1.5 million. Is it higher in those matches?

It’s not a damage issue whatsoever. Organized groups stick together; there’s much less overextending and no Leeroy Jenkinsing, which happens way more often with random groups. They fight together in a big ball. Deaths occur when someone makes a small mistake, or when they’re outsustained by another team. Or, as wheem pointed out to you, when someone gets knocked back into lava or off a ledge and takes environmental damage. Some people enjoy it, but it’s boring as hell IMO. I play deathmatches to kill people, not to unleash a full burst combo on someone who doesn’t die because they’ve got a healbot tethered to them.

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Its not a damage issue at all. The only time healers breach 1mil+ is when they have enablers in the game in the form of damage sponges and guard tethers drawing out games to the full duration. Those types of matches are mind numbingly booring to boot. People in organized groups just dont yolo swag it.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's typically lower in those matches, since everyone spends a majority of the time avoiding combat. The instant you engage one team, the third one gets a big advantage over both of you (assuming that the teams aren't incredibly lopsided in player skill, build synergy, etc...)

And that's why the 3-teams style is so bad when everyone knows the "proper" way to play it - you spend most of the time trying really hard to not PvP. Except of course for Silver Leashing people and 4v1'ing them, which isn't all that fun IMO. If you actually go watch the video that I linked (here it is again) starting at the 5:36:00 mark, you'll be able to see just how little actual combat there is. Some games (like the one right before 5:36:00) aren't quite as extreme, but there still tends to be a whole lot of fight avoidance due to the 3-teams mechanic.
    Edited by wheem_ESO on March 6, 2019 3:57PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @wheem_ESO Ah I recognized a lot of those names from the first match on the stream, 2nd I recognized no one except the streamer.

Does that mean I play in high MMR? I’ve been questioning it a lot and think I’m in the middle tiers. I pvp heal so if your MMR rank is based on score and not win/loss ratio I’ll probably be stuck in the middle. Not too bad a thing since it leads to me winning 80% plus matches.

I’ve played games like that before where people were passive. Usually I charge, even as the healer, if I see a good opportunity to force my team to be aggressive.

Noticed the streamer was low magicka a lot, is that the typical sorc playstyle? I sometimes assumed my team mates were wussies but they might have had nothing in the tank to fight with.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wheem_ESO Ah I recognized a lot of those names from the first match on the stream, 2nd I recognized no one except the streamer.

Does that mean I play in high MMR? I’ve been questioning it a lot and think I’m in the middle tiers. I pvp heal so if your MMR rank is based on score and not win/loss ratio I’ll probably be stuck in the middle. Not too bad a thing since it leads to me winning 80% plus matches.

I’ve played games like that before where people were passive. Usually I charge, even as the healer, if I see a good opportunity to force my team to be aggressive.

Noticed the streamer was low magicka a lot, is that the typical sorc playstyle? I sometimes assumed my team mates were wussies but they might have had nothing in the tank to fight with.
    Sounds like you're watching at the beginning of the stream; skip ahead to the 5 hour, 36 minute mark to see the match I keep referring to. There's a fight right near the beginning since green team took a long time to move in, but beyond that it's mostly everyone avoiding everyone else, because no one wants to be one of the sucker teams that gets stuck in the first engagement.
    The teams in that game are:
    Green:
    Ingvar Steelwind
    Vandstyletwo
    Survival of the Fittest
    Unbelievable

Purple:
    Baleros (Me)
    B O N K
    Speed Chills
    Thogaine (the person Streaming)

Red:
    Time Dazzler
    Mystikkal D K
    Arkannax
    M y k r o

I'm not sure what your MMR is at, but I don't really recognize any names in the first two matches, other than Thogard (and his Mag Sorc's MMR definitely isn't as high as his Stam Warden's is). Out of the players listed in the above BG match, I probably see B O N K and Speed Chills the least (in fact that's probably the only time I've seen Speed Chills; as far as I know he's normally in Cyrodiil, and on a different character). Everyone else has a relatively high MMR, and I encounter them frequently. Without knowing your character name, I have no idea if we've encountered each other before. There are a few Magblade Healers that I've seen, but usually not all that often.

Thogard plays his Mag Sorc a bit differently than most, since he uses the ranged morph of Daedric Mines instead of Crystal Fragments, and that's probably a big part of why he's low on magicka a lot. I haven't played my Mag Sorc (Govran) in quite a while, but usually ran relatively low recovery and relied on Dark Conversion to keep resources up. The burst damage was extremely good, and it was much easier to secure kills than it is on Mag Warden, but various things have changed since then.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

It’s not a damage issue whatsoever. Organized groups stick together; there’s much less overextending and no Leeroy Jenkinsing, which happens way more often with random groups. They fight together in a big ball. Deaths occur when someone makes a small mistake, or when they’re outsustained by another team. Or, as wheem pointed out to you, when someone gets knocked back into lava or off a ledge and takes environmental damage. Some people enjoy it, but it’s boring as hell IMO. I play deathmatches to kill people, not to unleash a full burst combo on someone who doesn’t die because they’ve got a healbot tethered to them.

This is accurate. I’m one of the guys that likes it IMO.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not passive at all. The movement directions are extremely deliberate and based on trying to catch one of the other teams in between my team and the third team, similar to chess where you move in such a way as to force your enemy into a position where they can’t move anymore

My team didn’t have a dedicated healer like the other two (IIRC) so we had to be extra careful not to get pinched.
    Edited by Thogard on March 6, 2019 8:34PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cethleann, NB healer. Pretty sure I’m middle tiers. Today I saw a CP 100, last week I saw Fengrush and the dotts gaming guy.

Had a death match yesterday where no one on my team died, as a healer that’s like getting a grand slam. Still got 2200 points - as usual.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair