Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cost Reduction Glyph Should be 5% Instead of Flat 203

WrathOfInnos
WrathOfInnos
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I would like to recommend a change to the Reduce Spell Cost and Reduce Feat Cost jewelry glyphs. They currently take a flat value of 203 Magicka or Stamina off the cost of abilities. This value seems about right, but the effect when combined with other forms of cost reduction (% based) is diminished.

For example, if someone wears 7 pieces light armor, they have 14% Spell cost reduction, and the Spell Cost glyph only reduces spell cost by 174 Magicka. This is going to have a larger effect on Bretons, with their great new 7% cost reduction and Redguards with their 8% on weapon abilities.

I think it would be better to see the jewelry glyphs give a % cost reduction. To find a fair value for this we can look at other similar bonuses. The Seducer 5pc set gives 8% Spell cost reduction, and is balanced with Julianos which gives 299 Spell Damage. A typical jewelry glyph is equivalent to 174 Spell Damage, or 58% of a 5pc set bonus. So 58% x 8% = 4.65 % cost reduction per glyph.

It would be best if this were a whole number, especially since I believe it rounds down to the nearest integer. So moving forward we can go with 5% cost reduction as a jewelry glyph value. This means that a piece of gold infused jewelry would provide 8% cost reduction. We can again check this relative to sets, since a piece of gold infused Spell Damage Jewlery gives 278 Spell Damage, very similar to a 5pc bonus of 299.

Now let’s check how this compares to the 203 flat reduction currently in place. 5% is equal to 203 for any ability with a base cost of 4060. There are a wide variety of skills right around this value, like Boundless Storm, Surge, Javelin, Teleport Strike, Cloak, and Talons. The 5% would be slightly better for expensive skills like Breath of Life and Daedric Mines. The old 203 would be better for inexpensive skills like Swallow Soul and Burning Embers, but I doubt many people were investing in cost reduction for these types of skills.

Now for stacking cost reduction, I would want to be sure that it cannot be too powerful (like reaching nearly 100%). I believe the maximum cost reduction would be Breton (7%) Sorcerer (5%) in Seducer (8%) and Alteration (6%) in 7 Light Armor (14%) with 3X Infused Spell Cost jewelry (24%) while affected by the Worm set (4%). This totals 68% cost reduction, so something like Hardened Ward (base 3510) would cost 1123. In the previous system it would be 1419. So a slight buff to stacking cost reduction, but doesn’t seem broken since a build like this build would have no defense or damage (giving up all sets, jewelry traits, and jewelry enchants). On more reasonable builds the 5% cost reduction would be more competitive with the standard 169 Magicka or Stamina Recovery. And it would be more intuitive in that it doesn’t punish combining different sources of sustain.
Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 23, 2019 8:27PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we could see cost reduction as a lower (2-4 piece) set bonus in the future. If so, I think it would have a balanced value at about 3.5%. I’m not sure if that should be rounded up to 4% or down to 3% to be in line with other bonuses. Probably 3% would be best. Obviously it would have to go on sets that don’t have a 5pc cost reduction to prevent stacking this any higher than I outlined above as the extreme case.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 23, 2019 8:35PM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure that cost reduction sources are multiplicative and not additive. And for that kind of calculation flat numbers are much better than percentage modifiers. You're pretty much asking for a massive nerf to cost reduction glyphs.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    Pretty sure that cost reduction sources are multiplicative and not additive. And for that kind of calculation flat numbers are much better than percentage modifiers. You're pretty much asking for a massive nerf to cost reduction glyphs.

@Royaji The % cost reduction for ability costs are additive. The only source that was multiplicative was the cost reduction from Magician CP’s before they removed it.

The current system is multiplicative between % cost reduction and flat cost reduction, that’s what I would like to see changed by going to all %.

The formula is:
    Ability Cost = (Base - Flat Cost Reduction) * (1 - % Cost Reduction)
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 23, 2019 8:42PM
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a fantastic idea but I don't agree with implementing it from my own subjective opinion.

Cost reduction glyphs aren't very popular in PVE, but are mainstays for PVP where people use them to reduce the costs on abilities which require a high volume of activity. This change would have a demonstrably negative impact on HA PVP builds like stam DK.

But good idea nonetheless.