The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Serious Botting problem NA

BrentBlemish
BrentBlemish
✭✭✭✭
On Bleakrock there is a very large amount of bots running around Orkey's Hollow running a pre programmed rout for jewlery and ore nodes. These are not actual players. And over by Deathclaw's Lair there are several sorc botters farming wolves.

I understand that botting is a hard thing to counter... But I farm bleakrock regularly and since I'm here a lot I've noticed a very strong increase in botting in this zone and it's getting worse and worse. I've been reporting bots left and right since yesterday. It's becoming a VERY serious issue on bleakrock and I cant emphasize how bad it's getting.
Edited by BrentBlemish on February 23, 2019 8:57PM
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    On Bleakrock there is a very large amount of bots running around Orkey's Hollow running a pre programmed rout for jewlery and ore nodes. These are not actual players. And over by Deathclaw's Lair there are several sorc botters farming wolves.

I understand that botting is a hard thing to counter... But I farm bleakrock regularly and since I'm here a lot I've noticed a very strong increase in botting in this zone and it's getting worse and worse. I've been reporting bots left and right since yesterday. It's becoming a VERY serious issue on bleakrock and I cant emphasize how bad it's getting.

That would be a very complicated scripting program.
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update: It's even worse then I originally posted. I found botters on every corner of bleackrock running pre programmed routs all over the map. I've been reporting and recording video of all of them. This is by far the worst botting I've seen on ESO. They are stripping the entire island of nodes.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much we can do except report and record them. If on PC you can use Bot Scanner 2000 to capture all their names and botting info and easily submit the tickets.

Post the videos on youtube exposing them. Can't do anything like that here in the Forum but you sure can on y.t.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am often confused by PS4 botting reports, since I was under the impression that it was not possible outside of a rubberband on the controller.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It helps to make a video and share it with mods if it's same bots.
    Edited by Tasear on February 23, 2019 6:08PM
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the report, all. We’ve escalated this to our TOS and Support teams. Please make sure you submit a report in-game as well if you’re able. That’s actually the quickest way to get reports of bots to the team.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭

That would be a very complicated scripting program.

I agree. But someone how they are doing it. im not sure how. I have footage of them walking in their paths. it never changes. and it's timed. Once they reach a location of a node they will stand at it for about 5 seconds and move on to the next node in the programmed path. it's a circle. they are all level 2-3 with names like "asdgasdhgah" and wearing soul shriven which means it's the base version of ESO. no chapters.
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's the video proof.

You are right. I would definitely call that a bot. I did not know that was possible on the PS4 platform.

Also, you will want to edit or remove the link to that video because of naming and shaming. That will get you in trouble @BrentBlemish

• BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭
    here's the video proof.

You are right. I would definitely call that a bot. I did not know that was possible on the PS4 platform.

Also, you will want to edit or remove the link to that video because of naming and shaming. That will get you in trouble @BrentBlemish

naming and shaming? I dont follow :(
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭

The character and account names of the bots were visible in your video in a fairly public forum thread. That's "naming and shaming".

When reporting players for breaking the rules, one doesn't post images or videos as evidence publicly if said evidence contains that information. That has to go straight to the GM's and be included in a support ticket.

Participant in the Sanguine's Tester beta group since November 2013.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ethoir wrote: »

The character and account names of the bots were visible in your video in a fairly public forum thread. That's "naming and shaming".

When reporting players for breaking the rules, one doesn't post images or videos as evidence publicly if said evidence contains that information. That has to go straight to the GM's and be included in a support ticket.

Yes but does "naming and shaming" apply when the character being reported isn't actually being controlled by a player?

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Made up accounts with made up character names is naming and shaming?
    It's not like anyone actually playing on those accounts for real.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

Yes but does "naming and shaming" apply when the character being reported isn't actually being controlled by a player?

That is actually a fair point. Mostly because in most case scenarios, some rules can be slightly bent but only in the case of the greater good.
    Bot:
    • noun
      a device or piece of software that can execute commands, reply to messages, or perform routine tasks, such as online searches, either automatically or with minimal human intervention (often used in combination)
    So either way, it is partly “Not” Naming and Shaming if a fake character is technically controlled by an “emotionless” automated program. (Really even the most carefully of all laid out rules have loopholes from which must be corrected over time.) Leaving it at that and BTW, This thread may or will be closed.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok now, so when NA gets botted, staff answers immidiately, but on EU no one cares for the whole eternity already
    Rawr
  • Kane_Hart
    Kane_Hart
    ✭✭✭
    How are they botting on Console like on PC? They bot the exact same way on PC. I reported one yesterday.

I wish I could get a part time job where I could just hack Bots down day and night. I'm a full time caregiver so I don't get much opportunity for work as I can't leave the home often.
    PC - NA - @Kane_Hart
    Youtube Let's Play Series 2019
    Stamina Sorcerer
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have the same on xbox eu, i dont bother reporting them at least they keep the mat prices low :lol:
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report, all. We’ve escalated this to our TOS and Support teams. Please make sure you submit a report in-game as well if you’re able. That’s actually the quickest way to get reports of bots to the team.
    Not trying to be snarky, but has anyone at Zenimax actually experienced the process of reporting a player on console?

It's terrible. Especially if the gamer tag is a random series of numbers and letters. Try it sometime.
    PS4NA
  • Valas_Tasuh
    Valas_Tasuh
    Soul Shriven
    I have seen quite a bit of it in Betnikh as well. I like to stand at one resource node, while I do homework, and collect it when it spawns and people have thought I was a bot more than once.

The bots are easy to spot though, they walk the same pattern every time. I followed one and ran ahead taking every node it was after for about an hour one day. They all seem to block or open their inventory or something at each node location, unless there is a node present and they collect it.
  • rsantijw13
    rsantijw13
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen ZoS stop botting so I hate to tell you but get used to it. We have had the same botting problem times 100. There can be a bot farm in almost every zone if you catch it. They switch up zones daily so never the same people there. Heres an idea let us kill them by thowing out a report in zone chat and by killing them we get all they have in their bags. Now thats a justice system.
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These same kind of bots are all over khenarthi's roost as well, and I report them every time I'm there but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Shame we can't report them to sony directly for this since the in game behavior option just says to report them in game.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These same kind of bots are all over khenarthi's roost as well, and I report them every time I'm there but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Shame we can't report them to sony directly for this since the in game behavior option just says to report them in game.

Just a thought... If the character you suspect is a bot is operating autonomously and with purpose, vs just standing there holding down a button, they might have violated the Sony ToS and you can report them to Sony. That would be done through Sony, not ESO.

On PC, bots that are reported seem to be handled. I can't say about how ZOS handles bots on console.
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a thought... If the character you suspect is a bot is operating autonomously and with purpose, vs just standing there holding down a button, they might have violated the Sony ToS and you can report them to Sony. That would be done through Sony, not ESO.

On PC, bots that are reported seem to be handled. I can't say about how ZOS handles bots on console.

Using third party software is against Sony's tos to my knowledge, but when you go to report someone there's no option for anything like that. You get 3 choices when reporting which are "in game behavior or things created or shared within game", "something created or shared outside of game", and "something in profile". If you choose in game behavior it just gives you the option to block them and tells you to report them in the game. Idk if contacting customer support or anything like that could be used to report somebody, so if anyone knows another option to report them feel free to share it.
  • Sera67
    Sera67
    ✭✭
    I dont think there bots, I think all those rubber band players caught on, AFK-Rubberband was getting them band.
    So they flip to several character around a location, and they flip between characters to nab nodes.

If you watch them, one will move, and stop, and another will move and stop. Sometimes they have map out, sometimes they don't.
    There not 100% prefect, but it does feel more like one person is playing several controllers with ps4's and tvs set up to do it.

They all have names like there cat sat on keyboard and they hit enter. So there easy spot....
    but now... there actually playing, and going proper AFK... hard to ban them on that.

Me and friend went and out noded them, We got to nodes before them and watched them walk abit, realize we got them and went afk. (and another one would start moving)
    They started shooting staff attacks at us, so there is someone there...getting angry we messing them up.

But sadly, they have 1-2 players or more, doing it 24/7.... I assume gold sellers or something.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sera67 wrote: »
    There not 100% prefect, but it does feel more like one person is playing several controllers with ps4's and tvs set up to do it.

They all have names like there cat sat on keyboard and they hit enter. So there easy spot....
    but now... there actually playing, and going proper AFK... hard to ban them on that.

If someone is there, it is harder to tell whether they are cheating. Playing multiple accounts at the same time is still against the rules, though.

The bar is detecting that there is one person running them all.
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been continuously looking into this problem to try to figure out how players are doing this. So far I have found the program they seem to be using on PC and might very well be the same program they using on Console but im not sure.

I hope ZOS sees this video and learns from it. Maybe they can use it to find a way to engineer a counter.

[Edit to remove link to cheating software]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on March 11, 2019 7:46PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been continuously looking into this problem to try to figure out how players are doing this. So far I have found the program they seem to be using on PC and might very well be the same program they using on Console but im not sure.

I hope ZOS sees this video and learns from it. Maybe they can use it to find a way to engineer a counter.

That video is like 5 years old. I think it is safe to assume ZOS has stumbled across it in that amount of time. Also, this is a PC thing, not a PS4 thing.
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭

That video is like 5 years old. I think it is safe to assume ZOS has stumbled across it in that amount of time. Also, this is a PC thing, not a PS4 thing.

it is absolutely a PC thing. The software is being run on PC and then plugged into the PS4 with a 3rd party program tricking the PS4 into thinking it's a controller when it's not. This is the same tools people are using to use keyboard and mouse on Black Ops 4 on PS4 when the game doesn't support it.
  • UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

That's assuming they are in fact bots. In this case it's obvious that they are, but it's not up to you to make that determination. And no one would want moderators to make that distinction in every instance. It would make moderation 100 times longer. Because they'd have to investigate.
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭

[Edit to remove link to cheating software]

The removal of the link is a good sign! At least now I know that ZOS has seen it and hopefully will use it as a tool to counter it. And over the next year or so it will be very important that they do. With Dragons returning it will no-doubt def bring back a lot of players and bring in a bunch of new players. ESO only continues to grow.

But the issue about growth and popularity is that it comes with more and more botters. As the game grows the demand for loot and gold does as well. This increases profit of 3rd party sellers which results in even more botters. It's very important that ZOS tries to counter this while it's still early because as we all know with MMOs that botters can ruin the game entirely and destroy the in-game economy and drive A LOT of players away.