The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

vestige killed question main storyline

Teutoburger
Teutoburger
✭✭
if you are killed and your soul is transported to coldharbour then how on earth do you have a body when you get back to tamriel?
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the Vestige is initially sacrificed to Molag Bal by the Worm Cult and Mannimarco, their soul is casted down to Oblivion where it is converted into a Soulless Vestige which are made out of Chaotic Creatia known as a Soul-Shriven. This is why the protagonist of ESO is called, "The Vestige".

Daedra don't have souls/bodies like that of a mortal. When a Daedra dies, their soul is always sent back to Oblivion (unless they're entrapped in artifact/ritual prison or have a way to stay on Nirn) and their body reforms in the pools of Chaotic Creatia (the blue ooze in Coldharbour that looks like water). A body made out of Chaotic Creatia is known as a Vestige. Soul-Shriven are similar to Daedra, but their souls belong to Molag Bal.

It wasn't in Molag Bal's intention to have the Vestige return to Nirn, as Soul-Shriven are simply immortal servants who are tasked with serving Molag Bal for eternity and by them having the soul/body of a Daedra, they cannot die so their torment is infinite.

Edited by Claudman on February 22, 2019 7:00AM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to the above, specifically we as the Vestige are re-attuned to Nirn through the fragments of Aetherius known as skyshards, which in part allows us to form a more perfect replica of our original body. Gaining more skyshards strengthens us - not just in skills - in our ability to stave off the effects of not having our soul.

Which is yet one more reason why the Coldharbor tutorial is the superior introduction to ESO's gameplay mechanics, because the Prophet explains this.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Skyshard

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Chaotic_Creatia:_The_Azure_Plasm
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    2svtL7e.jpg
    PC EU
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty spooky when Mannimarco tells you he had your original body drained of blood by Vampires and reanimated your corpse as a zombie.

Wonder if that zombie is still hobbling around somewhere, or if it was killed by some hero and has just simply been decomposing since then.

Maybe one day you could go and find your own remains and give them a proper burial.
  • Teutoburger
    Teutoburger
    ✭✭
    i know about physical form part but it doesnt make sense. so your soul just teleported into your old body and then teleported above the sea that you got fished out of
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you are killed and your soul is transported to coldharbour then how on earth do you have a body when you get back to tamriel?

Magic
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i know about physical form part but it doesnt make sense. so your soul just teleported into your old body and then teleported above the sea that you got fished out of

No...

You dont have a soul. Molag Bal has it.

You dont have your old body either. Mannimarco made it into a zombie.

"You" the Vestige are just a physical form made out of the Chaotic Creatia. Normal Soul Shriven decay and their bodies reform endlessly. But you, having been reattuned through Skyshards, your continued resistance to Molag Bal through closing Dark Anchors, and (theorized anyway) potentially being a Paragon, are a little different. You arent the mindless, listless, or feral Soul Striven we see in Coldharbor. You have the makings of a hero.

So its this reattuned You that falls out of Coldharbor with the Prophet and washes ashore/gets picked up by the Pact/Covenant/Dominion...
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Vestige doesn't have their old body anymore, that one is rotten, they have a body (Vestige) made out of Chaotic Creatia and their soul belongs to Molag Bal.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In essence you got a new body made out of oblivion stuff and instead of a soul you have a vestige of one.
    Molag Bal has your soul. You fight him later on for it
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Cardthief
    Cardthief
    ✭✭✭
    As stated above, once you are sacrificed to Molag Bal, your old mortal body is turned into an undead minion, while your soul is transported to Coldharbour for Molag to claim. Your new body is made out of a substance known as Azure Plasm, which is the same Chaotic Creatia that is used to form other Daedric creatures from Coldharbour. When you absorb the power from skyshards you attune yourself to Mundus, which further strengthens your physical form, as well as allows you to reform on Nirn if slain (normally when Daedra are "slain" on Nirn, they reform back in their respective realm, since you are attuned to Mundus however, you bypass the part where you would normally just reform in Coldharbour).

Also, even after you fight Molag and reclaim your soul, your old mortal body is still dead and gone, and you retain your immortal Azure Plasm form.

Basically you lose your original body, and now have an immortal body which cannot be destroyed for the rest of eternity (there is speculation that you CAN be permanently destroyed within Aetherius, however that would require you to be taken there willingly or by force, and then slain, which would prove difficult).
    Edited by Cardthief on February 26, 2019 7:44AM
    (MC) Main DPS: Redz Kuinn - Lvl 50 - MagSorc - PvE
    Main Healer: Soranna Anilu - Lvl 50 - Templar - PvE
    Main Tank: Seamus Kuinn - Lvl 50 - Dragonknight - PvE