The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Daily clothing writs -- bug or "feature"?

tauriel01
tauriel01
✭✭✭✭
I knew from anecdotal evidence that I was getting a lot more ancestor silk writs than rubedo leather, and guildmate comments like "I never have to buy rubedo" seemed to confirm my suspicions. But I decided to track it for a week just to prove to my theory. I do clothing writs on 4 toons. 3 are level 50, only one has all the skills in clothing max, but all the others have tailoring maxed. Here are the results:

Day 1 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
Day 2 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
Day 3 -- 2 silk writs, 2 leather
Day 4 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
Day 5 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
Day 6 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
Day 7 -- 4 silk writs, 0 leather !!
Day 8 -- 2 silk writs, 2 leather

Are silk writs really supposed to come up almost 75% of the time?? Is this a bug or a "feature"? and if the latter, why on earth would you put this in the code? I suspect this has a lot to do with why ancestor silk is SO much more expensive than leather. There may be more toons running around in light armor than medium, but that wouldn't account for the huge discrepancy in price. All the crafters having to constantly restock their silk supplies because 3 out of 4 writs are silk would.
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much yes, there is only one rotation writ that involves leather and there is (of the top of my head it’s been a few weeks for me) two clothing writs out of the rotation of writs so you will always end up using more silk than leather I was sat on zero silk and 14k leather most of the time because of surveys and leather drops from creatures

Leather
    Gloves helmet shoulders

Clothing
    Chest legs shoulders
    Feet helmet sash

I always looked forward to leather writs as it saved me some silk lol
    Edited by macsmooth on February 20, 2019 2:56PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there is an imbalance with Cloth vs Hide Writs. Been like this for years.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• tauriel01
    tauriel01
    ✭✭✭✭
    macsmooth wrote: »
    Pretty much yes, there is only one rotation writ that involves leather and there is (of the top of my head it’s been a few weeks for me) two clothing writs out of the rotation of writs so you will always end up using more silk than leather I was sat on zero silk and 14k leather most of the time because of surveys and leather drops from creatures

Leather
    Gloves helmet shoulders

Clothing
    Chest legs shoulders
    Feet helmet sash

I always looked forward to leather writs as it saved me some silk lol

OK, great, explains why an imbalance of 66% silk might exist, but this is even worse. But regardless, ZOS, why on earth did you think this would be a good thing?? Maybe add this to the top of the list of things to change?

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this has been brought up a couple (many) times over the years and I've went into detailed responses about it

HERE

And an even more detailed breakdown on two sequential posts HERE

We're nearing 5 years of this strategy of a 2 cloth : 1 leather rotation, and I don't see it changing any time in the future.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clothing surveys USED to only give you cloth mats, not leather mats. People complained about that, even though, IMO, it made sense and worked well (you go through more cloth due to the writ imbalance+leather is easier to farm through normal gameplay.

Now we get a mix in surveys, but writ requirements haven't changed...
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • tauriel01
    tauriel01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    So this has been brought up a couple (many) times over the years and I've went into detailed responses about it

HERE

We're nearing 5 years of this strategy of a 2 cloth : 1 leather rotation, and I don't see it changing any time in the future.

I'm no math prodigy, but i am pretty sure my example above didn't follow this rotation. I didn't skip any days or any toons during that period. The percentage of cloth writs alone would suggest something has changed.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tauriel01 wrote: »

HERE

I'm no math prodigy, but i am pretty sure my example above didn't follow this rotation. I didn't skip any days or any toons during that period. The percentage of cloth writs alone would suggest something has changed.

Your characters may be on differing rotations. If it is a 3 day rotation, then you would need to do a number of days that are a multiple of 3 to fully see the pattern. It would also be easier to see the pattern if you tracked each character individually. This also assumes they are all max level clothing crafters.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

HERE

Something about your data doesn't add up. I do writs on 10 characters nearly every day, and since I only use one of them for activities outside of writs, I pre-craft about 9-10 days worth of items at a time so I can simply pick up the quests and turn them immediately in without needing to visit crafting stations. Seven of those characters are doing L1 writs, and three are doing L10 writs. The rotation does not change, nor has it changed from a 2:1 ratio in the last three years that I've been playing.

Based on your original post:
    Day 1 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
    Day 2 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
    Day 3 -- 2 silk writs, 2 leather
    Day 4 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
    Day 5 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
    Day 6 -- 3 silk writs, 1 leather
    Day 7 -- 4 silk writs, 0 leather !!
    Day 8 -- 2 silk writs, 2 leather

You have two characters on the same rotation, and one each on the other two options. To clarify, let's assume the following:
    • Rotation (A) = leather bracers/helm/arm cops
    • Rotation (B) = cloth shoes/hat/sash
    • Rotation (C) = cloth robe/breeches/epaulets
    Characters we will simply refer to as generic Ch1, Ch2, etc., so Ch1(A) would mean character 1 is doing rotation (A) on that day

Going off your list we would see the following:
    Day 1 - Ch1(A), Ch2(B), Ch3(B), Ch4(C) = 3 silk writs (B,B,C) : 1 leather writ (A)
    Day 2 - Ch1(B), Ch2(C), Ch3(C), Ch4(A) = 3 silk writs (B,C,C) : 1 leather writ (A)
    Day 3 - Ch1(C), Ch2(A), Ch3(A), Ch4(B) = 2 silk writs (B,C) : 2 leather writs (A,A)
    Day 4 - Ch1(A), Ch2(B), Ch3(B), Ch4(C) = 3 silk writs (B,B,C) : 1 leather writ (A) The cycle has started to repeat itself at this point
    Day 5 - Ch1(B), Ch2(C), Ch3(C), Ch4(A) = 3 silk writs : 1 leather writ
    Day 6 - This is where your data table strays from what should be occurring.
    Day 7 - This a complete bust that should not be possible with your character rotation model.
    Day 8 - The 2 silk : 2 leather that we see here should have either been a Day 6 rotation or Day 9 rotation.

Bottom line is: Somewhere along the way your rotations got jacked up. Either you missed a day on some/all of them or you simply recorded your data wrong (nothing personal - it happens to all of us). I'm not trying to be critical, but I have seen a consistent pattern, every day, for three years and I even checked all my alts' inventories last night after reading your post to verify that my ratio of cloth:leather pre-crafted items is still being depleted at the normal rate - it is. So, nothing has changed for me.

That being said, I'm not ruling out the possibility of a bug/glitch that might have affected your writ turn in, but >99% of the time when I see a post similar to yours it turns out to be the result of human error on the OP's part and not truly a game-related error.

I've even gone so far as to memorize the associated blacksmithing and woodworking items that match up to whatever the clothing writs call for, and those have never varied for me either (my association may vary from others as I assume they're tied to the day you get certified in each individual craft, and I always get certified in all crafting professions on the same day for each character).

In case you're curious, my associated writs are the following:
    Day 1 - BS (dagger/helm/pauldron), Clothing (bracers/helm/arm cops), WW (bow x2 / shield)
    Day 2 - BS (greatsword/sabatons/gauntlets), Clothing (shoes/hat/sash), WW (inferno/ice/lighting staves)
    Day 3 - BS (sword/cuirass/greaves), Clothing (robe/breeches/epaulets), WW (restoration staff x2 / shield)

Those never change. Even if I fail to pick up, say, a clothing writ on day 1, I will still get the same associated writs on day 2 because crafting writs are like the undaunted dungeon dailies in that they follow a set pattern.

Grammar
    Edited by Feric51 on February 21, 2019 2:08PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a 3 day rotation and its always the same pattern. I always craft 6 days in advance with my crafting toons so i just have to pick up the writs and immedatly return them. Same applies for all the other crafting writs. just write down 3 days in a row what you get asked to craft, it will always repeat
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Every crafting writ (with the exception of alchemy) is on the same 3 day cycle. Even in cases where I've done one certification late (jewelry typically) it is still in sync with the other writs on that character, and that means the two cloth, one leather pattern most here describe. Alchemy is a 4 day cycle at lower levels, and I believe an 8 day cycle at the top level.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, clothing has been on a 3-day rotation as described above, since crafting writs were introduced. I've been doing these writs since the beginning, and there has been no alteration in the rotation. I don't pre-craft gear (though I probably should - but I don't always do them everyday on all alts), so I'm well aware of which characters are on which day of the rotation. I know that if my main is doing leather writs, then I have one other alt that will also get leather that day (speaking specifically of my 6 crafters that do top-tier writs; I'm not as familiar with the rotations on my other alts who do Tier 1 writs, since I don't always do those). The other 4 at top tier will do cloth writs, three of them will do 1 type of cloth writ, with the 4th doing the other cloth writ.

So, often, when I'm running low on silk, I'll just do writs on those I know will get leather writs that day. When it's the day for the 3 on the same rotation, I definitely try to do the clothing writs to use up some of my ever-growing stash of leather.
  • tauriel01
    tauriel01
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok after reading all this i figured, must be me. I missed something. I decided, tho, to watch which toon is getting which writ. The first day, three of them had silk. The next day, two of them had silk. the next day ONE STILL HAD SILK. i'm not crazy, i'm not missing something, I didn't miss a day, nothing. That toon had a silk writ three days in a row. According to everything posted here, that's not supposed to be able to happen--never has, never will. It did. So I guess my toon is broken or something. But the numbers and info i posted originally were correct.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok after reading all this i figured, must be me. I missed something. I decided, tho, to watch which toon is getting which writ. The first day, three of them had silk. The next day, two of them had silk. the next day ONE STILL HAD SILK. i'm not crazy, i'm not missing something, I didn't miss a day, nothing. That toon had a silk writ three days in a row. According to everything posted here, that's not supposed to be able to happen--never has, never will. It did. So I guess my toon is broken or something. But the numbers and info i posted originally were correct.

Did that happen to happen over the "reset" of the new patch (Wraithstone) dropping? That would be the only way that could happen, as the writ quest order can be changed when the new patch comes out. Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can also sort of manage that if the first silk writ is held over from a previous day, i.e. day 0, pick up robes/breeches epaulets writ. Pick up the writ but don't do it. Day 1 would be a leather writ but you don't do anything. Day 2, finish the writ from day 0, turn in and pick up a shoes /hat /sash writ and do it. Day 3, pick up another robes writ. If you forgot that the first one is from day 0 and account for it as day 1 you can get what looks like 3 cloth writs in a row.