The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

doing daily writs on non max chars

Freakin_Hytte
Freakin_Hytte
✭✭✭✭✭
If I do daily writs on chars I have that aren't maxed out in crafting skill lines, will those chars have the same chance of getting golden mats and survey maps as my chars that are maxed out?
Edited by Freakin_Hytte on February 18, 2019 3:41PM

Best Answers

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    thermatico wrote: »
    It's my understanding the mats received, master writs are based on how many skills points you have in each crafting skill line. So no, you will only receive golden mats and writs on characters highly skilled in that craft.

Not sure about survey maps.

this is wrong, the only thing you dont get is master writs, you still get golden mats and survey maps, which is what the op asked about, not master writs.
    Answer ✓
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can receive surveys doing them at any level, the drop rate appears to be consistent

You can receive gold materials from doing them at any level, the drop rate appears to go up as you are higher level

You can only receive master writs from doing them at maximum level.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
    Answer ✓
  • thermatico
    thermatico
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's my understanding the mats received, master writs are based on how many skills points you have in each crafting skill line. So no, you will only receive golden mats and writs on characters highly skilled in that craft.

Not sure about survey maps.
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response and yes master writs I'm not that interested in, I get enough from the ones that are maxed out :) only wanted to know if it's worth doing the writs on my others as well for the surveys and gold mats.
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never got a gold mat from daily writs. I do them on 3 or 4 characters, none which have any points in crafting except for extraction/research.
    I get gold, survey maps, intricate/ornate items, and sometimes basic materials or trait stones.
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The basic and most notorious difference between chars level is the amount of gold obtained by crafting a writ. The gold reward caps when you reach cp level.
    Mats/gear rewarded from completing writs depends on the chars crafting rank in the crafting skill line.
    You basically are rewarded with the same kind of items regardless of the chars crafting rank and crafting level or the chars level (non cp or cp level) - those rewards are mats, gold mats, items to sell, intricate items to deconstruct, empty soul gems, glyhps, treasure maps, recipes and surveys.
    Higher crafting ranks increase the odds of gold mats being rewarded to the char. They also grant you better/higher value items as rewards.
    Master writs have the higher chance to be rewarded to the char that has maximized his crafting rank in the crafting skill line.
    Edited by redlink1979 on February 19, 2019 11:24AM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic and most notorious difference between chars level is the amount of gold obtained by crafting a writ. The gold reward caps when you reach cp level.
    Mats/gear rewarded from completing writs depends on the chars crafting rank in the crafting skill line.
    You basically are rewarded with the same kind of items regardless of the chars crafting rank and crafting level or the chars level (non cp or cp level) - those rewards are mats, gold mats, items to sell, intricate items to deconstruct, empty soul gems, glyhps, treasure maps, recipes and surveys.
    Higher crafting ranks increase the odds of gold mats being rewarded to the char. They also grant you better/higher value items as rewards.
    Master writs have the higher chance to be rewarded to the char that has maximized his crafting rank in the crafting skill line.

Just for clarification... master writs can only drop when you do max level writs.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LurgidBean wrote: »
    I've never got a gold mat from daily writs. I do them on 3 or 4 characters, none which have any points in crafting except for extraction/research.
    I get gold, survey maps, intricate/ornate items, and sometimes basic materials or trait stones.

I do get gold mats from doing writs at any level. They rarely drop at the lower tiers, true, but I've been doing crafting writs since they were introduced, and I can say for a fact that gold mats do drop at lower crafting writ levels. I also get the purple provisioning mats from lower tier writs.

Master writs are the ONLY thing that doesn't drop from lower-tier (i.e. non max-level) crafting writs. I've even, on occasion, gotten Psijic Ambrosia fragments from lower tiers - it's very rare, but has happened.

ETA: Crafting writs are absolutely worth doing at lower tiers. The gold reward (as mentioned previously) is based on character level, so if you have a level 50 character doing tier 1 writs, they'll get the max gold reward. Plus, you always get mats back, and with the updates coming with Wrathstone, you'll now get a certain amount of materials (15) at your crafting level, in addition to a smaller number from the tier above and any tier below your crafting level. At max, you'll get 15 at your level and then 10, iirc, from any tier below your level.

And, as mentioned previously, you still have a chance at survey maps, which can then be used on a max crafter to get top-tier mats. Plus a chance at gold mats. Also, if you're wanting to fill out your recipe collection, doing writs is a good way to get recipes.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on February 19, 2019 10:01PM
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

I do get gold mats from doing writs at any level. They rarely drop at the lower tiers, true, but I've been doing crafting writs since they were introduced, and I can say for a fact that gold mats do drop at lower crafting writ levels. I also get the purple provisioning mats from lower tier writs.

Glad to hear that. I had this same "not at lower tiers" statement over on ESOReddit and didn't think that was right so I did some quick testing.

But I got that result. At 6 CP830 chars x 7 writs I didn't get any Tempers or Purple Prov or Kuta at Tier I over 2 days.

I also went Tier I but with the Temper Expertise and Extraction Passives plus Recipe Quality and Aspect max passives and still nothing after another day.

But as soon as I went just Max Tier with no other passives, Tempers and Purple Prov and Kuta popped.

Can I assume that the RNG at Tier I and not much higher is just really small but eventual? Any recollection if there is a Tier Break Point that starts getting at least 50% more chance?

Edited by SpAEkus on February 21, 2019 2:17AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »

Glad to hear that. I had this same "not at lower tiers" statement over on ESOReddit and didn't think that was right so I did some quick testing.

But I got that result. At 6 CP830 chars x 7 writs I didn't get any Tempers or Purple Prov or Kuta at Tier I over 2 days.

I also went Tier I but with the Temper Expertise and Extraction Passives plus Recipe Quality and Aspect max passives and still nothing after another day.

But as soon as I went just Max Tier with no other passives, Tempers and Purple Prov and Kuta popped.

Can I assume that the RNG at Tier I and not much higher is just really small but eventual? Any recollection if there is a Tier Break Point that starts getting at least 50% more chance?

do you use lazy writ crafter? type /outputwritstats to see all the stuff you have gotten while you have had the add on installed. i see you posted in the other thread already.

Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 21, 2019 2:50AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    While we're at it -- how do hireling email results vary with material tier? Off the top of my head, and assuming Tier 3 hirelings in Blacksmithing, Woodworking or Clothier:
    • At any material level below the top, you get exactly 5 raw mats per email.
    • At the top material level you get either 3 or 10 raw mats. I think the average is in the vicinity of 4. I hope there are other threads with more accurate data.
    • At the top material level only you also can get a refined mat. I think the average is around 1/4 or 1/3 of all emails. Again, I hope somebody has better data.
    • I've long assumed that the RNG for other mats in the emails doesn't vary by base mat tier, but I don't actually know one way or the other. Again, I hope somebody can link to opinions that are actually data-based. :)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

do you use lazy writ crafter? type /outputwritstats to see all the stuff you have gotten while you have had the add on installed. i see you posted in the other thread already.

Sadly, that seems to be for the whole account, rather than distinguishing among characters with different levels of crafting expertise.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hirelings Mails:

Well I just did a quick ESOUI search and found these:

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info850-PostmasterMail.html

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2101-CraftBagMonitorCBM.html

Have to try them and see if it will log mails from auto-loot at open. If they do I'll start running them on 8 level III hirelings.

Not sure which Chars are on PTS right now, if NA/PC I'll run there so its easier/cheaper to do a bunch of respecs to get Passive Level changes.
    Edited by SpAEkus on February 21, 2019 4:29AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, that seems to be for the whole account, rather than distinguishing among characters with different levels of crafting expertise.

If I had even an idea of how to program an add-on, I would consider making one to track the drops on a per-character basis, as I would love to have access to that level of data. But, I have no clue on where to even start.

I've peeked into the .lua files of a few similar add-ons, that track drops, and it's basically gibberish to me :(
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

For temper materials, I do believe I get them at a low rate at tier 1, but I'm not certain. More of your tempers there will come from refining the survey dropped materials.
    I don't have anyone at enchanting 1, but even at only 2, you definitely get Kuta, although at a low rate.
    Provisioning: there are no purple recipes at tier 1. (not just that you won't get them from writs, they don't exist period.) Outside of event and dlc recipes that scale, the lowest purple recipes are for level 20 characters. I find that purple recipes drop much more frequently at provisioning 2,3,4,and 5 than 6, where they are quite rare.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »

For temper materials, I do believe I get them at a low rate at tier 1, but I'm not certain. More of your tempers there will come from refining the survey dropped materials.
    I don't have anyone at enchanting 1, but even at only 2, you definitely get Kuta, although at a low rate.
    Provisioning: there are no purple recipes at tier 1. (not just that you won't get them from writs, they don't exist period.) Outside of event and dlc recipes that scale, the lowest purple recipes are for level 20 characters. I find that purple recipes drop much more frequently at provisioning 2,3,4,and 5 than 6, where they are quite rare.

Good points on the purple provisioning recipe drop rates. My anecdotal experience agrees.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah sorry, should have said Purple Ingredients - Mirriam and Bervez