The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dual Wield or Bow DPS

DragonMind1st
DragonMind1st
✭✭
I have not been able to find anything about this.

Just judging light and heavy attacks with all passives for Bow and Dual Wield active ...which one is best for DPS?
(All same weapons used have same LvL and rarity without enchantments(or the same) and Traits. I know other factors play in for DPS builds, but I would just like the "raw" data.)
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You get more weapon damage/crit/enchantments with dw, which also scale up by 20% under 25%, sure bow has a couple of percent amp, the hawkeye and the distance ones, but I would think you would get more damage from DW.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 17, 2019 11:11AM
  • DragonMind1st
    DragonMind1st
    ✭✭
    You get more weapon damage/crit/enchantments with dw, which also scale up by 20% under 25%, sure bow has a couple of percent amp, the hawkeye and the distance ones, but I would think you would get more damage from DW.

Thank you for the answer, would you mind listing the specifics you are thinking about for Dual Wield? :-)
    ...for one handed enchantments as far as I am aware they scale for 1H to half of that of a 2H enchantment ...from what I have observed.
    Edited by DragonMind1st on February 17, 2019 1:08PM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you were trying to compare both weapons in most equal setting (same skills used, no situational advantages, as much same stats as possible). Essentially just let base advantages/passives to dictate most of the outcome.
    Dual Wield wins (in my own tests by around 7.5%).

DW even at the basic form has simply more. DW weapons together have more weapon damage than bow, they have twice as much weapon passive bonus (bow: 5% crit; DW gets 5% per dagger or essentially gets same as bow with just 1 dagger and whatever you choose as 2nd is free bonus).

tl;dr
    DW wins in raw power, DW wins using skills advantage (rending is super strong skill) and DW wins in meta/raid option.
    Edited by SodanTok on February 17, 2019 1:12PM
  • DragonMind1st
    DragonMind1st
    ✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    If you were trying to compare both weapons in most equal setting (same skills used, no situational advantages, as much same stats as possible). Essentially just let base advantages/passives to dictate most of the outcome.

DW even at the basic form has simply more. DW weapons together have more weapon damage than bow, they have twice as much weapon passive bonus (bow: 5% crit; DW gets 5% per dagger or essentially gets same as bow with just 1 dagger and whatever you choose as 2nd is free bonus).

tl;dr
    DW wins in raw power, DW wins using skills advantage (rending is super strong skill) and DW wins in meta/raid option.

Okay ...about 5% extra chance to crit, as far as I have been able to find out (just to checked up on the crit you talked about, as I had a hard time grasping how you got those numbers).

...I am trying to figure out if I should use Bow or Dual Wield, because overall for single target abilities Bow seems to win, looking at cost per damage, if even comparable to my class spam ...how ever the for AoE Dual wield seems better, looking at cost per damage (if hitting at least 3 targets, maybe 2), for the whirlwind ...likely the steel tornado morph.
    I could do bow for single target and then 2nd bar dual Wield for AoE... not sure though.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »

tl;dr

Okay ...about 5% extra chance to crit, as far as I have been able to find out (just to checked up on the crit you talked about, as I had a hard time grasping how you got those numbers).

...I am trying to figure out if I should use Bow or Dual Wield, because overall for single target abilities Bow seems to win, looking at cost per damage, if even comparable to my class spam ...how ever the for AoE Dual wield seems better, looking at cost per damage (if hitting at least 3 targets, maybe 2), for the whirlwind ...likely the steel tornado morph.
    I could do bow for single target and then 2nd bar dual Wield for AoE... not sure though.

Oh sorry, I didnt get your question. I thought its more theoretical of what is the difference of raw power and how it impacts stuff.

You are trying to figure out something that has been figured out long time ago and what shapes the META (Most Effective Tactic Available). Dual Wield Frontbar; Bow backbar.

Check some guides and builds to get the full picture of why and how ;)
    Edited by SodanTok on February 17, 2019 10:25PM
  • Protoavis73
    Protoavis73
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have the numbers, just experience in-game but DW wins over Bow for me.
    But if you want to get higher DPS you definitely want to use both (even at melee range), as said: DW on frontbar and Bow on back and rotate between them.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're talking about pve, then its dual wield and bow
  • DragonMind1st
    DragonMind1st
    ✭✭
    Thank you for your answers(all of you) ...was in doubt if I should go bow/bow or bow/DW, likely going with the last.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about a heavy-armor stamDK that wants to change ONE of the bar of his 2H/1HS setup?

2H/Bow?
    2H/DW?
    DW/1HS?
    DW/2H?
    DW/Bow?
    1HS/Bow?
    Edited by Davadin on February 18, 2019 8:40PM
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just raw weapon damage, DW is better, ive done the math. But having said that bows have many attacks that apply poison status effects so it depends. I havent done math with bows and poisons. Bows could easily come out way ahead with the poison effects. It certainly seems that way in pvp. Ive been dead before i even realized with some gankers who specialize in bows and poisons.
  • DragonMind1st
    DragonMind1st
    ✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    how about a heavy-armor stamDK that wants to change ONE of the bar of his 2H/1HS setup?

2H/Bow?
    2H/DW?
    DW/1HS?
    DW/2H?
    DW/Bow?
    1HS/Bow?

Yeah ...I am using Medium armor for the bonuses it provides to sneak detection reduction, because I like sneaking around stealing and ...you know, that other thing which is best done from the shadows.
  • DragonMind1st
    DragonMind1st
    ✭✭
    Just raw weapon damage, DW is better, ive done the math. But having said that bows have many attacks that apply poison status effects so it depends. I havent done math with bows and poisons. Bows could easily come out way ahead with the poison effects. It certainly seems that way in pvp. Ive been dead before i even realized with some gankers who specialize in bows and poisons.

...in particular that last bow skill, which I have yet to unlock and morph on this character.