The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Templar tank viability?

Hysorn
Hysorn
✭✭
Hey everyone. I recently joined a guild, they are part of the Aldmeri dominion and I wanted to play to the fullest with them, in other words, join the AD, but what I mostly hear is that DKs are the only viable option for tanking but the class aesthetics just don't fit me. So, is it possible to properly tank as a templar?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is possible and even more possible now that rune can help with stam regen. The issue is DKs do provide more utility but again a Templar can do it
  • Hysorn
    Hysorn
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Yes it is possible and even more possible now that rune can help with stam regen. The issue is DKs do provide more utility but again a Templar can do it

I see, my idea was to play an altmer templar, kinda like a knight of Auri-el or something like that, I guess I could try then.
    Edited by Hysorn on February 16, 2019 11:56PM
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DKs have all the best tools for built into their class. They have a pull (for grouping up mobs to increase party aoe dps), they have a group shield to help keep their group alive through burst, and they have an aoe root to hold groups of mobs in place while the dps aoe them down, the root also applies -15% damage dealt to all mobs which is crazy.

Any class can tank fine, but in eso tanking isnt about just surviving, it's about keeping your group durable and buffing your groups damage by positioning mobs and applying buffs/debuffs.

Templars mainly have the problem of their skills being useful but often your healer will be a templar so your skills overlap. A templar tank with a Dk healer can accomplish the same thing as the Dk tank/ templar healer meta... the templar tank can throw down shards to restore dps resources, throw down ritual for cleanses, or rune for group armor buffs. The Dk healer could use talons to hold mobs in place and apply group shields.

So I guess in the end, anyone can tank, but to really have the absolute best toolkit to accomplish what a tanks job is, dk wins.

I tank as a templar though, because it's fun to me. I use a bow to root mobs in place since I dont have talons. It's obviously not as good as what DKs have, but it works for me because I'm just running normal dungeons or vets with guildies.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar don't have any aoe cc and even such poor replacement of DK claws as timestop is heavily nerfed, so last option is running bow backbar with bombard (which is excellent aoe cc). But bow backbar is really risky, a lot of HAs will one-shot you through bow block or leave at very low HP.
    So in dungeons and craglorn lfg trials, templar completely viable as any other class.. in guild trials where people want reliable predictable standard tank.. NO. Most often this is "DK with ebon+alkosh or GTFO". Even warden tanks which are good alternative to DK, should have some reputation in guild before allowed to be main tank in vet trials.
  • Hysorn
    Hysorn
    ✭✭
    Well, then it's pretty much what I thought it would be, thank you all for the answers, I guess templars require a bit more of utility in order to be great tanks still.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a tank of each class and like taking them through the newer HM dungeons and trials with our team to compare them to my regular DK tank that I use most often and see how they stack up patch after patch.

I do think Templars feel much better than they used to for tanking. But still come up a little short in some ways. Though most of my issues will be for challenging end-game content as they feel fine for more casual pledge dungeon runs and such.

For pull control: You will have to use Silver Shards from Fighters Guild to pull mobs when needed (or use a monster head two piece to do the job and still spend the magicka to taunt them so they attack you for the pull in). You also have to try to use either Time Stop (which needs really perfected timing on important uses like the Shalks spawn in Fang Lair) and it getting more expensive next patch. Or you have to use even more stamina and throw on a bow back bar and use bombard. Any of these options outside of using Swarm Mother will be very stamina intensive.

For Self Healing: You really have no great options here. Any of your heals will scale off of stam or magicka (whether you try and use vigor, breath of life, or something similar) so they won't hit as strong as a self heal from DK, Warden or Sorc. If you can get Breath to hit you and not have it go to someone else, it will hit a bit harder than NB's Dark Cloak self heal, but there is nothing worse than being in a large group like a trial and having to hit BoL four times, use all your magicka and finally get one 6K-ish heal out of all that waste. They really need a solid, health based self heal IMO.

For Shielding: Outside of DK (or warden vs. ranged attacks) they do have the best self shield for tanking as it scales off of health and gives a proc to the protection passive for a few seconds when you use it. Sometimes this is a better use of magicka, even when you are low health, than trying to heal yourself if you have a dependable healer that will be able to top you off soon.

For Debuffing: If you don't have anyone running Power of the Light, it's a decent debuff, but often a healer will run this in a trial. So often 'meta' groups will want a DK b/c they will offer engulfing flames to buff fire damage for the group (this is an overall balance issue IMO that ZoS should address as DKs also have about half a dozen other tools that make them go-to for tanking without giving them an additional group buff for the entire group on the most use general damage type in the game).

All-in-all, Viable? Sure. I use my templar tank as off tanking for vCR+ right now, but I'd swap to my DK to main just b/c it's more dependable IMO. If I were going to run vHMs of any of the new dungeons I'd also probably bring my DK for a dependable farm run, but if my group was willing to work with me, that's when I usually like to bring my other class tanks and put them through the ringer. If you are just going to mostly do pledges and normal or maybe non-hard mode trials even, I think a templar tank will feel fine to you.

This also depends on your group, if they are a very meta bunch, they are going to want you to run stuff like Ebon and Alkosh, which means you cannot run sets to make up for anything missing skill wise vs. DK. And it also means you won't offer engulfing flames to the group, so that can be an issue, but usually only if they are a very nit picky meta group as it really won't make a difference not having those things for more casual runs.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    I have a tank of each class and like taking them through the newer HM dungeons and trials with our team to compare them to my regular DK tank that I use most often and see how they stack up patch after patch.

I do think Templars feel much better than they used to for tanking. But still come up a little short in some ways. Though most of my issues will be for challenging end-game content as they feel fine for more casual pledge dungeon runs and such.

For pull control: You will have to use Silver Shards from Fighters Guild to pull mobs when needed (or use a monster head two piece to do the job and still spend the magicka to taunt them so they attack you for the pull in). You also have to try to use either Time Stop (which needs really perfected timing on important uses like the Shalks spawn in Fang Lair) and it getting more expensive next patch. Or you have to use even more stamina and throw on a bow back bar and use bombard. Any of these options outside of using Swarm Mother will be very stamina intensive.

For Self Healing: You really have no great options here. Any of your heals will scale off of stam or magicka (whether you try and use vigor, breath of life, or something similar) so they won't hit as strong as a self heal from DK, Warden or Sorc. If you can get Breath to hit you and not have it go to someone else, it will hit a bit harder than NB's Dark Cloak self heal, but there is nothing worse than being in a large group like a trial and having to hit BoL four times, use all your magicka and finally get one 6K-ish heal out of all that waste. They really need a solid, health based self heal IMO.

For Shielding: Outside of DK (or warden vs. ranged attacks) they do have the best self shield for tanking as it scales off of health and gives a proc to the protection passive for a few seconds when you use it. Sometimes this is a better use of magicka, even when you are low health, than trying to heal yourself if you have a dependable healer that will be able to top you off soon.

For Debuffing: If you don't have anyone running Power of the Light, it's a decent debuff, but often a healer will run this in a trial. So often 'meta' groups will want a DK b/c they will offer engulfing flames to buff fire damage for the group (this is an overall balance issue IMO that ZoS should address as DKs also have about half a dozen other tools that make them go-to for tanking without giving them an additional group buff for the entire group on the most use general damage type in the game).

All-in-all, Viable? Sure. I use my templar tank as off tanking for vCR+ right now, but I'd swap to my DK to main just b/c it's more dependable IMO. If I were going to run vHMs of any of the new dungeons I'd also probably bring my DK for a dependable farm run, but if my group was willing to work with me, that's when I usually like to bring my other class tanks and put them through the ringer. If you are just going to mostly do pledges and normal or maybe non-hard mode trials even, I think a templar tank will feel fine to you.

This also depends on your group, if they are a very meta bunch, they are going to want you to run stuff like Ebon and Alkosh, which means you cannot run sets to make up for anything missing skill wise vs. DK. And it also means you won't offer engulfing flames to the group, so that can be an issue, but usually only if they are a very nit picky meta group as it really won't make a difference not having those things for more casual runs.

Very well said.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars are the only class that doesn't have a reliable HP% self heal. So you'll be dependent on your gear and your healers more than any other class. This IMO disqualifies Templars as a serious consideration for people who want to be at the top of their game. You can however compensate in easier content by speccing for a lot more magicka to boost HtD/BoL effectiveness, thereby also increasing your DPS output, making it easier to run in dungeon finder PUGs.

Templars also have the highest resistances. This gives you a bit of flexibility in regards to your gear choice (i.e. you don't have to use Lord Warden to survive some heavy attacks, you can basically use any monster set you like).

Overall Templars do have some things going for them, but they'd need a lot more than 2.5k extra resist to make up for the lack of a good HP% self heal, considering that reaching resist cap isn't that difficult in the first place.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DK and Warden tank, healer is not necessary, they can do the jobs alone, especially in the 4 man dungeons HM.

People could usually run 1 tank 3dd but
    Templar tank needs a real healer in specific hard content such as BF HM, not much corpses, fatal heavy attacks , limited time conditions unless those 2 DD are really good.

From my points of view, templar tanks are viable but require higher skill level and better partners if focus on harder contents.
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2x Pirate Skeleton/Malubeth/ or Earthgore
    5x Heavy Impregnable (Sturdy Traits)
    5x Desert Rose or Shacklebreaker
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • Sebar80
    Sebar80
    ✭✭✭
    I have tank of each class and templar is viable in all content and all dificulty level. It's not the best and most efficient but if you do not run specificaly for score all is good. I feel like ot templar is strong for vas+2 for not so good groups due to extra utility it can give.

I did hm BF on sorc tank +3dds, dark dealing in between heavy attacks so if you want it can be done
    PC EU
    PVE

Tanks all classes
  • winterbornb14_ESO
    winterbornb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial Templar health tanking will be DEAD after the Nerf.

I will be taking a break since this patch will kill my main......good luck.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Put that with a Nord next patch and enjoy lots of options.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial Templar health tanking will be DEAD after the Nerf.

I will be taking a break since this patch will kill my main......good luck.

Why?
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When looking for off meta race and class, Alcast has a build for that

https://alcasthq.com/eso-templar-tank-build-pve/
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Drierm
    Drierm
    Soul Shriven
    My imperial Templar tank is about to be in a much better place next patch. He's more vet dungeons and pvp viable than he is vet trials, but thats all a matter of gear, really.

Even still, I'm liking the direction my imperial templar is going and I'm currently loving the holy warrior/paladin vibe my build has.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My Templar tank is actually a Breton and so I get to use that sweet sweet magicka cost reduction.

Templars are actually really good as Ice staff tank since they don't have any CC in their kit so wall of ice is really nice for them. Plus if you want to use the blocking with Magicka ability the rune can return you mag (I don't).
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey my man, I'm too lazy to read through all the comments but I wanted to share my templar build that I find very effective. I think the strongest aspect of templar is his strong healing capability - so I built around that and rock a Tank that also provides enough group healing to replace a the healer role - thus allowing you to run 3 DD + 1 tank setups. I completed all vet HM dungeons and vDSA, haven't tried vBRP yet though.

Setup is pretty basic s/b + resto with ebony, SPC and moster set of your choice. Key skills to make tankplar viable is repentance which gives you technically unlimited stam sustain as well as a full health group heal, honor the dead for the big burst heal for yourself as well as allies and of course the standard tanking skills on s/b bar + healing skills on backbar.

It's not only viable but really strong in my opinion since you can replace both tank and healing role in one job - give it a try!