Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Thoughts on Vampirism

Morgha_Kul
Morgha_Kul
✭✭✭✭✭
Recently, I thought I'd try out being a Vampire in the game, so I bought the skill line on PTS and gave it a go.

First thing I noticed has to do with feeding. Targets HAVE to be people (and the animation is a bit... silly, if you ask me). That's a little disappointing, but so be it, I suppose. However, I find it a bit of a problem that they just turn around at start attacking you when you're done. That's not really how it's depicted in most Vampire mythology.

My thinking is that targets should be debilitated for a few seconds after being fed on, so the Vampire can slip away. Perhaps it could be implemented as a kind of minigame, where you have to start feeding, and then stop before a certain point. Succeed and your target is stunned for a few seconds; fail and they'll turn on you.

A second thing is that people show no fear. Vampires walk around with complete impunity, and it shouldn't BE that way. Vampires are fearsome creatures, feeding on people. Normal folks should be fleeing when they see you. I remember playing Morrowind, and it was HARD being a Vampire, because people didn't want anything to do with you. There should be more of this. Same for Werewolves, though this might tie into them transforming in public.

Third, Vampires wander around in daylight, completely unaffected by it. It shouldn't be this way. In Morrowind, going out in daylight was LETHAL. There are references in ESO that suggest this is still how it is for Vampires. Now, I get that you don't want (and really can't, since there is a day/night cycle) to limit players to only playing at night, but you might make the Vampire suffer debuffs during the day, making life harder. Perhaps an additional increase to fire damage. Perhaps an increase in the cost of Vampiric abilities. Perhaps an increase in the advancement of Vampirism (ie. you would get hungrier) if powers are used in daylight. I feel like something should be done in this regard. Remember, Vampirism (and Lycanthropy) is supposed to be a CURSE.

Fourth, in Morrowind, and in ESO, there were CLANS. The Berne clan occupy parts of Vvardenfell. Each clan had slightly different powers, and I think it would be cool to add this wrinkle to the game. Perhaps the clans could be added sort of as "Guilds" (Dunmer Great Houses could do this too). It wouldn't need much to make this interesting. Perhaps a single clan-specific power, and a cosmetic difference (eg. maybe the Berne class gain long talons while the Aundae clan gets glowing purple eyes and some other clan becomes bestial like the Nosferatu, etc.). Clan affiliations were the bread and butter of the Masquerade series of games. Taking a page from the most successful Vampire game franchise can't be a bad idea.

What say you all?
Edited by Morgha_Kul on February 12, 2019 3:20AM
Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • jbranstub17_ESO
    jbranstub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well, for point 1, there is a passive called "Savage Feeding" that sets the target off balance and stuns them after feeding.

For point 2, I agree, but it would make the game borderline unplayable for most. Vampirism is really just a flavor addition and isn't pursued seriously in this game. People wouldn't be able to do dailies, or most quests for that matter if it were treated as it should.

Point 3, I would like that as well. Bonuses at night and indoors, penalties during the day. However, it might have an effect on some dungeon gameplay, which might not be very well received.

Point 4, the clans in Morrowind was one of the best vampire gameplay the elder scrolls has had. However, it's probably too much to ask for from what vampirism currently is.
    Ariadne Tristesse - Breton D.Staff DPS Necromancer, Vampire [NA/AD]
    Riewen - Bosmer Bow DPS Warden, Werewolf [NA/EP]
    Haede - Breton DW DPS Templar [NA/DC]
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim with their daytime debuffs/lethal sun damage, ESO lacks one thing.

[WAIT]

In ESO, you can't pause time or wait out the sun so you can play only at night. And its pretty unfair to penalize players for an in game clock over which they have no control.
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    Recently, I thought I'd try out being a Vampire in the game, so I bought the skill line on PTS and gave it a go.

First thing I noticed has to do with feeding. Targets HAVE to be people (and the animation is a bit... silly, if you ask me). That's a little disappointing, but so be it, I suppose. However, I find it a bit of a problem that they just turn around at start attacking you when you're done. That's not really how it's depicted in most Vampire mythology.

My thinking is that targets should be debilitated for a few seconds after being fed on, so the Vampire can slip away. Perhaps it could be implemented as a kind of minigame, where you have to start feeding, and then stop before a certain point. Succeed and your target is stunned for a few seconds; fail and they'll turn on you.

A second thing is that people show no fear. Vampires walk around with complete impunity, and it shouldn't BE that way. Vampires are fearsome creatures, feeding on people. Normal folks should be fleeing when they see you. I remember playing Morrowind, and it was HARD being a Vampire, because people didn't want anything to do with you. There should be more of this. Same for Werewolves, though this might tie into them transforming in public.

Third, Vampires wander around in daylight, completely unaffected by it. It shouldn't be this way. In Morrowind, going out in daylight was LETHAL. There are references in ESO that suggest this is still how it is for Vampires. Now, I get that you don't want (and really can't, since there is a day/night cycle) to limit players to only playing at night, but you might make the Vampire suffer debuffs during the day, making life harder. Perhaps an additional increase to fire damage. Perhaps an increase in the cost of Vampiric abilities. Perhaps an increase in the advancement of Vampirism (ie. you would get hungrier) if powers are used in daylight. I feel like something should be done in this regard. Remember, Vampirism (and Lycanthropy) is supposed to be a CURSE.

Fourth, in Morrowind, and in ESO, there were CLANS. The Berne clan occupy parts of Vvardenfell. Each clan had slightly different powers, and I think it would be cool to add this wrinkle to the game. Perhaps the clans could be added sort of as "Guilds" (Dunmer Great Houses could do this too). It wouldn't need much to make this interesting. Perhaps a single clan-specific power, and a cosmetic difference (eg. maybe the Berne class gain long talons while the Aundae clan gets glowing purple eyes and some other clan becomes bestial like the Nosferatu, etc.). Clan affiliations were the bread and butter of the Masquerade series of games. Taking a page from the most successful Vampire game franchise can't be a bad idea.

What say you all?

Believe me, vampirism is a curse... With all the sources of fire damage in this game, been a vampire is handicapping yourself...