The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Any success with Magplar as a ranged dps? (sorry, should have stated PVE only)

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
For several reasons...bad lat/etc. I find myself needing to rely on playing as a ranged dps. I have a Magblade and also a bow-bow Warden but am thinking of giving Templar (mag) a go. Found a few builds and they claim that you can play as ranged but I am just curious as to if anyone is doing it and with what sort of success? I get that jabs is pretty much the bread and butter of any Templar dps build but I reckon it can be done without jabs. Yea, losing the self heal would sorta blow but again, I don't think a build should be pigeon-holed into relying on one skill to make it great.
So feel free to share any builds or experience playing as such and yea, go ahead and throw in your thoughts as well...cant hurt right....LOL!! Cheers! ;)
Edited by Joxer61 on February 9, 2019 4:56PM
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In addition to the standard, Destro staff skills, Piercing Javelin, Vampire's Bane, Purifying Light, Total Dark, Radiant Oppression (killer execute!) are all ranged skills. Puncturing Sweep can still be used situationally. Throw in the restorative skills in the Restoring Light class skill line, and you've got yourself a pretty effective ranged build.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RangePlar is the highest mag DPS if given minor beserk by healers. They are fantastic at range. Their rotation is far easier than magBlade and they have good sustain.

MagBlade is still usually used a little more because they have easy access to berserk so they don't need a healer to apply that as much. But tougher rotation.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The heal from jabs is barely noticeable in pvp. I get killed many times when I'm stuck in that jabbing animation. Keeping Total Dark on opponents makes them think twice about using direct attacks against you so that will be useful, in my opinion. I don't really like the ranged-only style though (I try to be an all around player) so I can't offer any more advice.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on February 9, 2019 4:23PM
  • royo
    royo
    ✭✭✭
    Is this for PvE? It's very strong but not mix/max dps. You can do any content in the game as a ranged magplar. Check out Alcast's build page. For fully ranged, swap vamp bane for solar. https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-templar-build-pve/
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really like the ranged-only style though (I try to be an all around player) so I can't offer any more advice.

I was the same, I like being up in the fight (tanking) and all that but sadly good ol Aussie ping makes getting out of bad and other fun stuff, i.e. mechanics a royal pain so like I said, am being somewhat forced to stay ranged for the most part.

And yes....I meant this for PVE.

• SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RangePlar is the highest mag DPS if given minor beserk by healers. They are fantastic at range. Their rotation is far easier than magBlade and they have good sustain.

MagBlade is still usually used a little more because they have easy access to berserk so they don't need a healer to apply that as much. But tougher rotation.

If you're talking about group parses, pretty sure magblades still come out on top though that might change next patch with the magplar buff to solar barrage

Magplars have an easy rotation, you just need to recast vampires bane and whenever ulti is ready

Your main spammable is gonna be ele weapon from the psijic skill line. Your jabs wont be able to compete with the damage or range

• Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Kel on February 10, 2019 2:31AM