Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The ultimate guides to DYES! Videos and pictures!

VirusOfBeauty
VirusOfBeauty
✭✭✭
hey guys

we have an outfit section on our discord where people can post their creations and we've noticed people asking about dyes a lot. Also on the forum I regularly see people asking stuff like "what is a nice red dye" etc. So I decided to do some in depth videos on the available dyes. I will be uploading more dyes over the next week and I will update this post as more hues are uploaded ^^ enjoy!

In the youtube descriptions you can look for the dyes in alphabetical order btw. Enjoy!

Blue Dyes
(a small mistake has been corrected in the description on youtube)

e5usjavtvbwcuxp3.jpg
Green Dyes

m57kl7fka99liaip.jpg
Red Dyes

az024kuf3jv29cul.jpg
Brown Dyes

xe3wxgjhdyaeuqua.jpg
Black, white, gray and silver Dyes

6vn7ug1cqu84929c.jpg
Mixed rank and special jewelry related dyes

qy4xrk3k5u3yu641.jpg
Purple Dyes

zobc6ysti2qy5c45.jpg
Yellow Dyes

cci3he1nkzmrtovr.jpg
Edited by VirusOfBeauty on February 22, 2019 4:10PM
Mother Hen of Chilled Explorers Dailies (PC EU Guild)
  • Zewoh
    Zewoh
    ✭✭
    This is awesome havent seen anything like this anywhere!
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    updated with red dyes
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be tuning in, thank you for making and sharing these!
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    you're welcome ^^
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome vids! :smile: It's a shame though that the dyes will actually display in drastically different ways depending on the armor or costume they are applied to. So while your showcase is super useful and awesome, it won't be as informative because of ZOS's armor textures and dyeability issues.

For anyone serious about dyes though, I strongly suggest testing them on the PTS first - you can access the PTS at all times, and character templates come with all dyes unlocked - that way you can apply the colors to specific outfits and costumes you're interested in, and can even see some dyes in action before you grind out the achievements required to unlock them.

That helps avoid nasty surprises like the fact that 'Julianos White' can be gray, white or a shiny pale blue, and 'Pact Blood Red' can be a matte brown, dark barely visible burgundy, and bright red, depending on what you apply it to - so you'll see what dyes you'll actually need for your specific outfit rather than trusting ZOS's untrustworthy dye labels (not to mention some dyes that actively change colours like 'browns' showing up as silver or 'blues' being tinged with pink). That said, great dye showcase, Virus! I just wish ZOS's system would let us preview non-unlocked dyes in the outfit creator.
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    Awesome vids! :smile: It's a shame though that the dyes will actually display in drastically different ways depending on the armor or costume they are applied to. So while your showcase is super useful and awesome, it won't be as informative because of ZOS's armor textures and dyeability issues.

For anyone serious about dyes though, I strongly suggest testing them on the PTS first - you can access the PTS at all times, and character templates come with all dyes unlocked - that way you can apply the colors to specific outfits and costumes you're interested in, and can even see some dyes in action before you grind out the achievements required to unlock them.

That helps avoid nasty surprises like the fact that 'Julianos White' can be gray, white or a shiny pale blue, and 'Pact Blood Red' can be a matte brown, dark barely visible burgundy, and bright red, depending on what you apply it to - so you'll see what dyes you'll actually need for your specific outfit rather than trusting ZOS's untrustworthy dye labels (not to mention some dyes that actively change colours like 'browns' showing up as silver or 'blues' being tinged with pink). That said, great dye showcase, Virus! I just wish ZOS's system would let us preview non-unlocked dyes in the outfit creator.

I agree with you, every costume or outfit is different. That's also why it took my quite some time to put together this outfit as a base because it does showcase most types which you will encounter on other outfits.

For example the "light armor" base of the gloves, the chest and the hat all give a different effect with the dyes. The same applies to the metals on the hat, chest and shield (the difference in the metals shows a bit clearer in one of the other dyes videos I am still editing). So after a lot of brainbashing, I tried to combine all different cloths, metals, leathers into one outfit as best as possible ^^

I also recomment testing on PTS, however I do understand that it's not possible for everyone to do that and PTS isn't always available so this can give you a good alternative to at least get some inspiration or ideas
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    updated with brown dyes
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! It almost makes me want to get a few of the ones I'm missing from content I don't really like doing. Almost.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice guide, especially taking the time to find an outfit which uses all the different types of materials so we can see how that affects it.

But for me it would be much more useful as static images rather than a video. That way I could pick out the ones I'm most interested in immediately instead of waiting for them to come up (for example pick out just light blue dyes), compare two side by side and spend more time looking at the ones I'm considering without having to try and pause the video at just the right moment to catch it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    @Danikat yeah I get that but since I have a youtube and not a website it's a bit difficult. It's a good idea I might use on our discord server though because for some people that might be easier. I mainly chose the rotation in video because it also captures the colour changes on duochromes or multichromes really well, where it can make some colours look more boring than they really are on picture. The youtube description has a list with the dyes in alphabetical order and a timestamp so it might help to look up a specific dye or compare 2 by clicking those.
    Edited by VirusOfBeauty on February 12, 2019 6:57PM
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    updated with black, white and silver dyes
    Edited by VirusOfBeauty on February 13, 2019 1:48PM
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    updated with mixed rank and jewelry achievement dyes
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    updated with purple dyes
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello I just have one question, what kind of dye can color leather parts of several hats into black color, I tried Coldharbour Ash Black, Maormer Eyes Grey and Noxophilic Black but none of them actually color items into black, maybe you know right dye?

Those items I would like to dye
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/malefic-standing-collar-hood/
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/renegade-dragon-priest-mask/
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/death-grin-skull-mask/
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hello I just have one question, what kind of dye can color leather parts of several hats into black color, I tried Coldharbour Ash Black, Maormer Eyes Grey and Noxophilic Black but none of them actually color items into black, maybe you know right dye?

Those items I would like to dye
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/malefic-standing-collar-hood/
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/renegade-dragon-priest-mask/
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/death-grin-skull-mask/
    Some items are notoriously a nightmare to colour. Those are one of them. :disappointed: Legate's Black is the darkest black, but some items just refuse to take dyes for some reason. That's why you get a constant washed-out gray, and that's why some items remain a faded pink no matter which deep red you try to apply to them.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @VirusOfBeauty nice work
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Ruby Throne Red, the best red in the game...

I came close to getting it a few years ago on NA sub 50 several times. Probably best I didnt, or id be pissed about not having it on EU now. Cant miss what you've never had... I do really want it though... :|
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VirusOfBeauty nice work!

I have also done a compilation with screenshots for each dye at this link
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    updated with yellow and gold dyes
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to the feedback some of you guys gave me so under each video you can now find a chart with all the dyes in that hue category for comparison. These charts are also added in the description of every youtube video
    Edited by VirusOfBeauty on February 22, 2019 4:12PM
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting those monster trophies takes so long and is so annoying
  • VirusOfBeauty
    VirusOfBeauty
    ✭✭✭
    it takes a while but destinations has a setting where you can find interesting farm spots for them so that helps