The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Thinking about race change

RABIDxWOLVERINE
RABIDxWOLVERINE
✭✭✭✭
So I have been playing an imperial stam dk dps build for years now basically since launch and I have never felt like a great player nor have I felt like utter trash. I want to step my game up but I feel like being an imperial is really hindering that progress. I read an post on her recently that basically showed imperials as one of if not the worst race for dps and was thinking about changing to a redguard. That will obviously boost my dps by a lot if I play the way I do (melee based damage). The only issue I have is appearance. I chose imperial because I could make my character look like myself and I'm not sure I can accomplish that being a redguard. Would the boost be worth overlooking that? Will my dps significantly increase? I want to do end game pve stuff but I feel like a lot of that is beyond my current reach due to a sub optimal race for my desired build, what do you think? Is it worth it?
Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if you want to follow the meta you must change to Orc now because Orc > Redguard.

My advice: stay the Imperial you are, be happy with it and ignore all the "best race" nonsense.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd recommend going all in one way or the other.

If you want to chase the meta and eek out that last 3% performance, then think of your race as a collection of stats - a tool to optimize effectiveness. If that is the case, then study up which will be the best race in the next update and change to it. And be prepared to do that any time any upgrade changes the meta on you.

If your race selection has the slightest hint of roleplay value to you, then choose your race based on your gut and what you feel suits your character. And there will be no need to change it as the game changes.

As far as my own preference, I play only wood elves and most of them are wizards. And to tell you the truth, I am delighted with their performance.

Edited by AcadianPaladin on February 8, 2019 2:57AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can check the charts in this post https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/455092/raid-buffed-dps-comparison-of-each-race-by-class-tests-graphs-interpretation-and-final-score/p1

You'll see that Imperials do indeed rate quite low as DPS and that is unfortunately unlikely to change much. I do believe some more small changes are coming before PTS ends, but I don't think you'll see Imperial pushed much higher. Keep in mind though, this might not make much of a difference unless your gear is BiS and your rotation is flawless more or less.
    Edited by Vapirko on February 8, 2019 3:38AM
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @AcadianPaladin @Seraphayel and @Vapirko for your replies. I didn't realize the gap was that small between the races. The way people were talking I assumed the gap was huge but it looks like 2-3K dps. Thanks for posting that post as I haven't had a chance to look at it. I've heard a lot about it but it sounds like most people are making a big deal out of nothing. I always knew there was a gap between redguard and imperial but it sounded like it got enormous with these race changes but in all honesty it still seems minor.

Thanks again for your replies I believe I'm going to stick with my Imperial.

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @AcadianPaladin @Seraphayel and @Vapirko for your replies. I didn't realize the gap was that small between the races. The way people were talking I assumed the gap was huge but it looks like 2-3K dps. Thanks for posting that post as I haven't had a chance to look at it. I've heard a lot about it but it sounds like most people are making a big deal out of nothing. I always knew there was a gap between redguard and imperial but it sounded like it got enormous with these race changes but in all honesty it still seems minor.

Thanks again for your replies I believe I'm going to stick with my Imperial.

Yeah you’ll get used to that. People lose it over 1-5% differences. In addition to it being quite small, that’s on a very high end parse which most people can’t do so that margin will shrink, additionally some more changes are coming. Play as you like but hold on for a bit and we’re getting three free race changes next patch.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're not looking to be a regular DPS component in a vet trial progression group for things like VHoF, VMoL, etc..your DPS in terms of race is not significant enough to not enjoy logging on and playing the character you want to be playing.

As stated above, for some people this means being the race and 'theme' that satisfies being who they want to be in the world.

For others, that means knowing they are in every way optimized.

It sounds as if you want to be effective but also play a character you identify with race wise. To that end I would stay imperial. The DPS difference is minimal. If you're not planning on being in a vet trial progression or score run guild and have that be a regular part of your play, it's never going to come up or be an issue for anyone else.

Imperial is not optimal nor are you hindering yourself. You still get a nice stam and health bonus even after the changes. The utility passive is not super significant. The fact that you get a nice health bonus means you'll never have to run enchants for health - this makes your gearing very easy; all divines, all stam as well as running throne/psijic for recovery and not worrying about missing the extra health of blue food to get you to the ~17K youll want for trials.

• RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Krayl wrote: »
    If you're not looking to be a regular DPS component in a vet trial progression group for things like VHoF, VMoL, etc..your DPS in terms of race is not significant enough to not enjoy logging on and playing the character you want to be playing.

As stated above, for some people this means being the race and 'theme' that satisfies being who they want to be in the world.

For others, that means knowing they are in every way optimized.

It sounds as if you want to be effective but also play a character you identify with race wise. To that end I would stay imperial. The DPS difference is minimal. If you're not planning on being in a vet trial progression or score run guild and have that be a regular part of your play, it's never going to come up or be an issue for anyone else.

Imperial is not optimal nor are you hindering yourself. You still get a nice stam and health bonus even after the changes. The utility passive is not super significant. The fact that you get a nice health bonus means you'll never have to run enchants for health - this makes your gearing very easy; all divines, all stam as well as running throne/psijic for recovery and not worrying about missing the extra health of blue food to get you to the ~17K youll want for trials.

I hope to one day get to the point of doing vet content but I assume that day is a long way off. I've done plenty of vet dungeons but would eventually Luke to move forward as a player and begin doing the vet dlc dungeons, vet trials and VMA. I've struggled with VMA so far as I can only reach level 7 boss I think whichever the spider daedra one is. I've heard stam dk is one of the harder classes to beat VMA with but IDK I know it leaves me frustrated and I wasn't sure if optimization was my issue I'm leaning towards it not being but that's why I'm here asking haha.

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!