The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Help me decide on a class

SunBroDesion
SunBroDesion
✭✭
just getting back into eso and i need a class to play until the necro drops, i want to be dps, but i cant decide and the class, pretty sure i want to run magicka cause i heard stamina is really repetitive, but i could be wrong, so some suggestions will be great, will probably pick whats most suggested or if theres a good enough case for a class, any help would be great and thanks in advance
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What do you want to do? PvE or pvp, or both?

For stam or magicka, stam for melee and magicka for ranged.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mag is as repetitive as stam. it depends on your preference, so if you wanna go mag, go mag.
    not all mag characters are ranged (mag dk is melee)
    what do you plan on doing with the character later on? if ditching it, then just pick whatever for rp reasons, they all have more or less the same potential to deal damage.
  • SunBroDesion
    SunBroDesion
    ✭✭
    id be playing both pvp and pve, also i plan on keeping it to play when i dont want to play necro, just looking for somthing fun to play, really want to be good in pvp
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For pvp I’d say the best class depends on your play style. NB if you want stealth.

Otherwise DK if you’re really aggressive, warden or stamplar are middle ground, sorc if you like being defensive. As an outside observer that seems to be how the classes behave so it’s probably how the class skills dictate gameplay. Other than that for soloing it doesn’t matter.

You also carry champion points over to all your characters so if you hit 50 before necros are released you’ll have them to spend on your new necro.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go MagDK or go home. Very good for PvP, playable in PvE. And if you don't enjoy his playstyle, you can make him a tank (best tank class for PvE)
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Villaine
    Villaine
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest taking a look at Alcast's builds. Search ESO Alcast.

Take a look at all the PvE and PvP builds for all the classes. He does a excellent job of explaining and suggesting everything from gear sets to CP setup. You will also notice the skills suggested for each class while playing various roles. He also posts videos of gameplay for most of them as well. Anyway, it might give you a better perspective for what each class can do in those various roles and help you come to a decision.
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    I have all classes CP in magicka.
    And I can say that half a year ago my fav was Sorc (great mobility, self healing and really good dmg).
    Now my fav is Magicka DK - tanky, flame dmg, fun gameplay and you can be a great healer with resto staff and some morphs(for pvp I suggest 5 heavy armom for magdk)
    Magicka Nb is very hard in pvp, I mean you can deal a highest critical hits (more than other classes can) but you become a glass canon with stealth (didnt try it in pvp with 5 heavy armor pieces).
    Magwarden have some high dmg too, some heals, and frost magic is great, but mostly is aoe and for CC.
    Magtemplar is easest melee magdps (suggest to wear 5 heavy for pvp too), I stopped playing it long time ago cause I wanted ranged magplar, but its mostly better for melee action.

So it depends on what elemental magic you prefer, and playstyle. Look for some sets and think what you want to gear, depends on that pick the class.
    For newbies best templar>warden>sorc>Dk>NB.
  •  Czirne
    Czirne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warden
    I believe in lagless Cyrodiil!
  • twofaced
    twofaced
    ✭✭✭
    DON'T PLAY magsorc. It's broken.
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll a 5 sided dice (can be done in Google) assign a number to each class, whatever number you roll. Roll that class
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I main a magDK dps; they are a mag class but often up front with the stam. All their skills are fire so it's a fun theme. As stated here, they can double as a tank if you have any interest in doing that and have a lot of utility in pvp.

Another option is a Mag Templar. They are versatile. Like the DK if you want to try another role, you can go healer without changing much up outside of your gear and swapping skills on your bar. They also have the option of going melee (sweeps) or range (elemental weapon) as a DPS.

Magblade/Stamblade are very strong but to really maximize them, they require an investment to play well because of their rotation which relies much more on being dynamic.

Warden is another versatile class. the magicka version is a little underwhelming but the stam version is very strong and uses a lot of class skills, which I like.

Lastly, Sorc - a lot of people are down on sorcs because they feel victimized by nerfs. What sorcs have going for them is excellent AOE damage and a lot of survivability with less single-target damage than other classes. That being said, I know several good sorcs who make it work well.

One last thing about sorcs - they can get an easy mode clear of VMA (with the right CP and gear), so if you're ONLY looking for a character to pass the time until necros become available, Sorc is not a bad option so you can work on acquiring Maelstrom weapons for your necro if that's what you plan to main. They are excellent at soloing in general so they can be really good as a farm/craft char for your other toons.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say Templar best healer, great tanks and the DPS is pretty good if your looking for more DPS go Nightblade honestly you could pick any class BUT DON'T go Sorcerer they've been getting beat senseless with nerfs Rodney King style.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kewpie wrote: »
    I have all classes CP in magicka.
    And I can say that half a year ago my fav was Sorc (great mobility, self healing and really good dmg).
    Now my fav is Magicka DK - tanky, flame dmg, fun gameplay and you can be a great healer with resto staff and some morphs(for pvp I suggest 5 heavy armom for magdk)
    Magicka Nb is very hard in pvp, I mean you can deal a highest critical hits (more than other classes can) but you become a glass canon with stealth (didnt try it in pvp with 5 heavy armor pieces).
    Magwarden have some high dmg too, some heals, and frost magic is great, but mostly is aoe and for CC.
    Magtemplar is easest melee magdps (suggest to wear 5 heavy for pvp too), I stopped playing it long time ago cause I wanted ranged magplar, but its mostly better for melee action.

So it depends on what elemental magic you prefer, and playstyle. Look for some sets and think what you want to gear, depends on that pick the class.
    For newbies best templar>warden>sorc>Dk>NB.

I wouldn't say magden has "high damage" as a selling point. Its got the least compared to other mag classes. Along with not a lot of group viability. It is mainly for AOE though. Its good at that.

Frost damage is not in a good state especially for PvE. It looks badass and that's why i use it. But it applies an effect that the DK tank already applies really easily. Only thing its useful for is its snares which are a major pain point for pvp right now. Its likely that we may see adjustments to snares very soon via a straight nerf or more counterplay. Maybe both.

However i really respect that people still play it.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im a stam nb.
    Go magdk.
    Best class pvp.
    Best tank pve.
    Win/win for sure.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all around norm/vet, pvp/pve.... it would be either Templar or warden