The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Frost Staff Suggestion

ChaosChemic
ChaosChemic
Soul Shriven
Hello,
I think that the frost staff taunt should last longer than 15 seconds due to the fact that it takes a fully charged heavy attack to cast the taunt. It would make more sense if the frost staff taunt lasted 20 seconds so that the player has more time to cast skills without having to start another heavy attack before the taunt runs out just to keep it up. Maybe not 20 seconds but just add how ever long a heavy attack takes onto the taunt timer for frost staves please.

Thanks,
Chaos

PS(I hope I can put suggestions here, if there is a better spot please LMK)
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. The taunt should be moved to the useless elemental succeptibility morph. Tri focus completely changes fundemental gameplay and is not usable by frost dps as its harmful to the group. Even some tanks don't take it.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Ajax_22
    Ajax_22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frost staves need their own weapon line. Especially with this enchantment change.
    Keep fire and lightning as the DPS weapons, and make Frost a defensive/utility skill line.
  • frostyhobo47
    frostyhobo47
    Soul Shriven
    or frost staves could have faster heavy attacks when you get the taunt passive unlocked
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ajax_22 wrote: »
    Frost staves need their own weapon line. Especially with this enchantment change.
    Keep fire and lightning as the DPS weapons, and make Frost a defensive/utility skill line.

No. We can keep it as a hybrid defencive dps weapon/ tank weapon because there are people on either side of the Dps/tank debate. Just have to make a few skill and passive adjustments which me and my community have been making, rather than separating the line and creating more work for ZOS while also completely negating one side of the argument. They should've made an Alteration Staff for tanking from the beginning. But that is not where we are now. But since they have time and a budget they have to go with the cheaper option.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • ch.ris317b14_ESO
    ch.ris317b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

No. We can keep it as a hybrid defencive dps weapon/ tank weapon because there are people on either side of the Dps/tank debate. Just have to make a few skill and passive adjustments which me and my community have been making, rather than separating the line and creating more work for ZOS while also completely negating one side of the argument. They should've made an Alteration Staff for tanking from the beginning. But that is not where we are now. But since they have time and a budget they have to go with the cheaper option.

Alteration staff combined with skill customization.... give magicka a new weapon, and bring spellcrafting to the game at the same time.
    Edited by ch.ris317b14_ESO on February 9, 2019 10:04PM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Alteration staff combined with skill customization.... give magicka a new weapon, and bring spellcrafting to the game at the same time.

maybe. but frost staff is a *** mess. passives are nonsensical and tri focus changes fundemental gameplay... twice.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on February 10, 2019 12:21PM
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My tanks use Frost staves, and even I don't put points into tri because I don't want to suddenly use magika to block with (I need it for other skills). I'm built for blocking with and restoring stamina. I like frost because it reduces how much stam I block with, and slowing mobs down while I get first aggro helps me to crowd control and stabby taunt them into a nice pile around me for DPS to burn them down. The Tri focus is useless, I just use Inner Fire for my ranged taunt because it has no cast time.
    Edited by Kesstryl on February 23, 2019 12:54PM
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    My tanks use Frost staves, and even I don't put points into tri because I don't want to suddenly use magika to block with (I need it for other skills). I'm built for blocking with and restoring stamina. I like frost because it reduces how much stam I block with, and slowing mobs down while I get first aggro helps me to crowd control and stabby taunt them into a nice pile around me for DPS to burn them down. The Tri focus is useless, I just use Inner Fire for my ranged taunt because it has no cast time.

in other words, Tri focus is in massive need of a rework on the frost side.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on February 23, 2019 1:29PM
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. A thousand times yes. I'm a huge proponent for giving magicka tanks an alteration staff as their main tank weapon. It makes sense thematically, and it would give tanks more utility and buffs and whatnot.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Yes. A thousand times yes. I'm a huge proponent for giving magicka tanks an alteration staff as their main tank weapon. It makes sense thematically, and it would give tanks more utility and buffs and whatnot.

I hate and love this idea. Frost Staffs ability to block more damage, slow and snair makes builds with it interesting to say the least. However the limitations of the frost staff are annoying to say the least. It can't compete with SbW, the heavy attack takes way to long for what it gives you, and because of it's cast length for the heavy attack blocking heavy attacks with it cane be painful at times.

I feel like the ice staff should stay the same as whole with some refinement.

First weekness to elements should be equal to Pierce of snb. All it would take is. With frost staff equipped weekness to elements is time reduced by X amount of second but gains physical armor pentration and taunts. They can remove the gain a damage shield from heavy attack to when blocking for x times and can not occur but every X seconds. This could then enable them to reduce the time it takes to do a heavy attack with frost staff.
    Edited by alexj4596b14_ESO on February 23, 2019 6:03PM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. The taunt should be moved to the useless elemental succeptibility morph. Tri focus completely changes fundemental gameplay and is not usable by frost dps as its harmful to the group. Even some tanks don't take it.

NOPE. The WHOLE POINT of the Susceptibility morph is that it auto-refreshes so you don't have to keep casting it every 20 seconds. Unless you want to make it auto-refresh the taunt, too........
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frost should just be made into a dps line again as the whole concept of frost tanking makes no sense from a gameplay or lore perspective... That being said, I would love to have a whole new mag tanking line (alteration staff?) with a tanking ult, 5 tanking abilities, 5 tanking passives, and a blocking animation that is not holding a stick sideways to ward of attacks
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my frost staff for cloudrest, my tank can taunt from a distance without worrying about the healing debuff :)

I think 15 seconds is plenty though, or else slot other taunts
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I think that the frost staff taunt should last longer than 15 seconds due to the fact that it takes a fully charged heavy attack to cast the taunt. It would make more sense if the frost staff taunt lasted 20 seconds so that the player has more time to cast skills without having to start another heavy attack before the taunt runs out just to keep it up. Maybe not 20 seconds but just add how ever long a heavy attack takes onto the taunt timer for frost staves please.

Thanks,
    Chaos

PS(I hope I can put suggestions here, if there is a better spot please LMK)

I just slot inner fire now and moved back to lightning staff. Even if i have a ice staff i still slot inner fire.

The ice staff taunt is terrible. It just take way too long. things happen faster in dungeons than that.
    Edited by firedrgn on February 24, 2019 12:26AM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

NOPE. The WHOLE POINT of the Susceptibility morph is that it auto-refreshes so you don't have to keep casting it every 20 seconds. Unless you want to make it auto-refresh the taunt, too........

that's literally *** useless unless you're parsing where extra mag regen is useful anyway.