Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mini map?

POPSadopalis
POPSadopalis
✭✭
where is the love for console players? What gives, will we ever get our on screen mini map???
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A huge thumbs up from me. I'd love an official minimap on PC too. Add-ons are nice, but glitchy.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's obviously unfortunate that console players don't have the option. That said, as a PC player I don't use addons and don't feel the need for a minimap although I'm not against it being part of the default UI provided it is capable of being toggled off. I much prefer a minimalist UI.
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, mini-map is a good miniature map to help players in the game because of an addon mini-map it has to be reupdated when new content comes out every two of the four quarters of the year. So it would be nice to have if the developers put it under systems menu in gaming settings like never, auto, or always in the display for Mini-Map.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no map...just give us a combat metrics breakdown for the love of God! :s
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a minimap in beta. ZOS removed the feature before release.

The funny part is the map is still in the game UI files, and addons like Votan's use those files. It'd be trivial work for ZOS to add the option again.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be part of the game UI, with the option to toggle off if you are a minimalist.
    Shouldn't need an addon for a standard in game thing
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Ravereth
    Ravereth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    where is the love for console players? What gives, will we ever get our on screen mini map???

I saw some websites with rly nice Tamriel maps.
    You can easly print it.

map-photo-6.jpeg
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    It's obviously unfortunate that console players don't have the option. That said, as a PC player I don't use addons and don't feel the need for a minimap although I'm not against it being part of the default UI provided it is capable of being toggled off. I much prefer a minimalist UI.

I like the minimalist UI too, but I have no sense of direction (in real life too, but it's worse in games) and even with the compass I can easily find myself going in the wrong direction a lot of the time. The mini map is a huge help with that. Without it I'm having to open the map every few minutes to make sure I'm still going the right way.

I'd rather have a mini map covering one small corner of the screen and actually get where I'm going than get to see slightly more of the wrong part of the world.

Of course there could be an option to turn it off, like there is for most of the UI. But playing without it would be really frustrating for me.
    Edited by Danikat on February 4, 2019 6:31PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never understood why there is no MiniMap stock in this game.

Sure, the one we had in early beta w was not appealing to me, but that was the round shape. I may have been able to change that, but did not play with it at the time.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Galen15
    Galen15
    ✭✭✭
    As a PC player, I can't imagine playing without the minimap addon. I would be seriously crippled. Console players need this ability.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO was designed to play on a PC. They have to dumb the game down for it to work on a gamebox.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cavedog wrote: »
    ESO was designed to play on a PC. They have to dumb the game down for it to work on a gamebox.

Plus it was designed to be as much like the original TES games including the minimalist UI supplemented as required by mods.

An answer for those who fear they may be heading in the wrong direction is the combination of the compass and quest markers, plus the split second it takes to bring the main map up and take it down again.

Nonetheless, as an optional addition to the default UI there's no reason not to have a minimap, but beware any impact on performance.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Never understood why there is no MiniMap stock in this game.

Sure, the one we had in early beta w was not appealing to me, but that was the round shape. I may have been able to change that, but did not play with it at the time.

I never understood why Zos abandoned the UI they developed that is more like a MMORPG UI. They said it was their "vision" we would get our information from the environment but given that Zos has never been able to get the game operating well enough and permits us addons telling us what to do and when to do it in trial fights this was clearly never a vision of theirs.

I think it was a combination of TES fanboys wanting the UI to be like the single player games and realizing they could get away with doing less work maintaining the game if they pawned the UI off on players to develop. Of course this hurts console players. They probably thought it sounded better to say it was always their vision.
    Edited by idk on February 4, 2019 8:45PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minimap is such an important (and easy to implement feature) that I can't comprehend why it hasn't been added for the base UI at this point. Many players including myself have directional issues. While playing Skyrim on PS3 I spent a VERY large amount of time with my map open. Take 10 steps, open map again. I'm sure there are others like me who have these sorts of directional challenges. ZOS could potentially be losing players for such a small thing that could be remedied very easily. I know that I would be so frustrated without a minimap addon that it would lead to be leaving for another game should that addon ever become unusable.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galen15 wrote: »
    As a PC player, I can't imagine playing without the minimap addon. I would be seriously crippled. Console players need this ability.

I've never used the mini-map addon, and I hear it's quite the memory hog. But having the option for people would be nice.
    The Moot Councillor
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Galen15 wrote: »

I've never used the mini-map addon, and I hear it's quite the memory hog. But having the option for people would be nice.

Votans Minimap uses hardly any memory at all.

If you use other things like Harvestmap, then that can use a fair bit of memory. Although to be quite honest, there is no LUA memory limit in the game anymore, and I never ran out of memory when it was set to 256MB.

256 MB really isn't much memory these days considering the game is 64-bit, and most people have 8 or 16 GB to play around with.