Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mag Templars: Are you ranged or melee next patch?

MashmalloMan
MashmalloMan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Curious what most people think of melee vs ranged templar. Seems ZOS hasn't forgotten melee templar is a playstyle.

eAeKLMV.png

As someone who plays stam sorc and hasn't dabbled in templar yet. I was actually interested to try them because they have a lot of melee aoe potential that reminds me of what I love about stam sorc. Solar Barage has a huge aoe at 8m and is self buffed like hurricane. Blazing Spear is huge too with 8m range and a synergy. Crescent sweep and Nova look great for aoe. Jabs is aoe/single target. Wanted to use grothdar for some more aoe. Looks really fun to play on paper.
Edited by MashmalloMan on February 3, 2019 12:32AM
PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit

Mag Templars: Are you ranged or melee next patch? 29 votes

Melee Mag Templar
75%
AektannTanis-Stormbinderpolgarahredspecter23EirellaMinnoLord_EomerNeoauspexDread_GuyAjax_22susmitdsOlupajmibananvsarroyoMashmalloManHotdog_23TakedownphoenixccmedaddyStarOfElyonnsmurfer 22 votes
Ranged Mag Templar
24%
Joker99Swiftnoodledovakiin5574ZeroXFFDarkPictureIskiabyooqi 7 votes
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melee Mag Templar
    I voted melee because I don't use a destruction staff. I use sword and board on the front and restoration staff on the back bar. But I think I'm actually both melee and ranged. I start off with ranged attacks but my intent is to move in for the puncturing sweeps and crescent sweep. But I like to use Dark Flare at a distance and as good as Solar Barrage sounds now, i don't know if I can give up Dark Flare. I will have to test it.

If you haven't played a magicka Templar yet, I need to warn you that the class is extremely binary. It's very hard to be defensive while on the offense. As much as I try to blur the lines, when I'm under pressure I have a really difficult time getting the pressure off. The javelin helps some but typically in BG you're going to get focused by at least four players (I think it's because of the threat of Radiant Destruction), so when they're on you it's just heal, heal, heal until you can possibly get some help. You have to be able to move quickly and unfortunately, Magplars feel slow as hell. Race Against TIme helps a lot to get you out of trouble but the speed burst only last 3 seconds. At least the Solar Barrage is actually a viable option now though. Which was really the point in the first place, I guess. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the class when you do try it out.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melee Mag Templar
    Melee. You can still take advantage of the empower using lighting staff and get 8% DMG out of the aoe
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should edit ur poll PVE/ PVP
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melee Mag Templar
    Baconlad wrote: »
    you should edit ur poll PVE/ PVP

Too late to add the option for both, but I'd assume most choose 1 over the other. I'm interested in general what people prefer.

Do you choose ranged for pve and melee for pvp?
    Edited by MashmalloMan on February 3, 2019 1:22AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melee Mag Templar
    I will likely always play my magplar as melee. If I need ranged for whatever content I'm doing, I'll probably just go with a different character that is better suited to ranged combat.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Melee Mag Templar
    What's the point of playing Templar if you're not gonna be jabbing? :relaxed:
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the unlimited empower does roll through for live servers, then biting jabs better be getting some big buff.

That empower is just gonna make ele weapon from the psijic skill line very powerful. Light attacks are currently the biggest dps for magplars using ele weapon.

So unless puncturing sweeps gets a huge buff, I'm gonna stay range.

Melee magplar for pvp though
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranged Mag Templar
    Im curious using solar barrage even on range, it will buff all LA so maybe can even outdps a puryfying light, does someone test it?

But im still prefer range plar.
    Edited by DarkPicture on February 3, 2019 4:56PM
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Melee Mag Templar
    Question is, will melee magicka templar use Dual Wield Sword or staff (looking wired at melee range)?
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main spam is always melee but you can be both. Woe can give you a little breathing room, reflective light is ranged, light attacks are, skoria procs from range and pol is ranged.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melee Mag Templar
    Question is, will melee magicka templar use Dual Wield Sword or staff (looking wired at melee range)?

I'd imagine DW is dead. Solar Barage and VMA staff buff light attack weaving which makes using a staff more important than ever before. DW is probably more of a vanity thing at this point if you don't mind hurting your dps.

Using Liko's parse from pts as an example, light attacks account for 20.2% of his parse.

RQdMGnX.png
    Edited by MashmalloMan on February 3, 2019 7:03PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP