Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Another fell back in to ESO and needing some input (roles tank/heal/dps)

Dorrin
Dorrin
✭✭
Hi folks, apologies its a somewhat open question without a direct point. Been away some time and came back a little lost but enjoying finding my feet again. Bumping around several alts to see which I prefer. Reading about various roles though there seems to be discussions to whether healers and tanks are needed in the content I'll likely encounter.

Generally I'm casual PvE. Enjoy dungeons and so on and while I like support classes, it seems many prefer to run all dps on lower content. Would that be fair to say? I get that "just play what you enjoy" is crucial (and I agree!) but at the same time I'd prefer not to run down a dead end (if that makes sense).

Is it then an option for example to level early on as dps/tank or dps/heal so either role can be fulfilled? Is it possible to jump from dps to tank for example for lower content and only need to fully commit for higher content and so on?

I've rerolled a warden and dragon knight so far and enjoy both.

Thanks for any insight.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me just address the casual PvE normal dungeon pugs. I pug them with both a tank and a healer. If it is higher level players looking for a speed run, they just blast through and it really doesn't matter what you run as you run to keep up. You get to fights too late to either tank or heal anyway and that can be frustrating. On the other hand, I find plenty of normal pugs that are simply newer characters trying to learn/get through the dungeons. Those groups tend to quite appreciate and need a dedicated tank and healer.

The tank is harder in pugs because you are relying on random players to provide reasonable dps and also for them to let you (as the tank) initiate pulls. I think this is why many tanks refuse to run pugs since they are often thwarted in doing their jobs.

A healer is a different matter. Most healers can do moderate dps as they heal and, by nature, follow the group to keep an eye on them instead of try to lead like a tank does. So my healer who pugs normals quite enjoys and is very able to adapt to the unexpected twists and turns that random normal pugs provide. A healer - again, because of their moderate dps ability - is generally quite comfortable running solo quest content without being tempted to make changes to gear/spell slotting.

One advantage if pugging on either healer or tank is that they are in demand (because of the reasons above) and therefore experience notably shorter wait times for dungeon queues.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Dorrin
    Dorrin
    ✭✭
    Thank you, good to read a balanced perspective. Now I'll go and ponder which to push in front.
  • reynoldslad93
    Hello,
    If your on PS4 EU I can help you out finding your feet even run dungeons or talk gear and builds with you if it’s somthinf you’d like message me.
    reynoldslad93
    Happy gaming 😄
  • Dorrin
    Dorrin
    ✭✭
    Hello,
    If your on PS4 EU I can help you out finding your feet even run dungeons or talk gear and builds with you if it’s somthinf you’d like message me.
    reynoldslad93
    Happy gaming 😄

Thank you for the kind offer, sadly im PC :)