The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Questions about Stam Nightblade build

Derunik
Derunik
I'm new to the end game (Vet dungeons, trials) and I'd like some information and confirmation if I'm doing things correctly. First of all, I'm using this guide: https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-nightblade-build-for-pve/ I'd like to know if this is the best guide out there atm and if it isn't missing something. Should I be a vampire, werewolf or neither of those? Do I need poisons?
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    Alcast guides are very good, but they aren't end all be all. There isn't one build that will be best for everything. You should develop an understanding of the classes strengths and weaknesses. I recommend searching around the forums for other builds and ideas and go from there. There are a ton of viable set ups for Stamina DDs
    vFG1 HM
  • Derunik
    Derunik
    md3788 wrote: »
    Alcast guides are very good, but they aren't end all be all. There isn't one build that will be best for everything. You should develop an understanding of the classes strengths and weaknesses. I recommend searching around the forums for other builds and ideas and go from there. There are a ton of viable set ups for Stamina DDs

Yeah I guess so, kind of looking for something stable I can work with until I'm comfortable doing end game content. I'll stick with the alcast one for now, since I'm pretty far in anyway.

That said, do I use poisons and stuff in PvE? And should I be vampire/werewolf or not?
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alcast is a great place to start. Vamp/werewolf is a personal decision. Each has their strength and weaknesses. Personally, I prefer neither. Poisons can be effective but, IMO, rarely make enough difference to bother. Good endgame groups generally have decent tanks and healers. So succeeding as a DD is more about perfecting a high dps rotation while learning and adapting to mechanics. If you're standing in red and spamming 1 skill, it doesn't matter what kind of beast your are or what gear you're wearing.
  • Derunik
    Derunik
    Shantu wrote: »
    . If you're standing in red and spamming 1 skill, it doesn't matter what kind of beast your are or what gear you're wearing.

I know, it's more like I want to be a vampire, and was on my main, but since it's not mentioned in the guide (and is in guides of other builds) I cured my vampirism. I'd probably not go werewolf even if it is the meta, but I would on other characters. I also thought being either of them would be a handicap for maximum survivability, but I asked some people and they say the opposite.

• md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    Derunik wrote: »
    Shantu wrote: »
    . If you're standing in red and spamming 1 skill, it doesn't matter what kind of beast your are or what gear you're wearing.

I know, it's more like I want to be a vampire, and was on my main, but since it's not mentioned in the guide (and is in guides of other builds) I cured my vampirism. I'd probably not go werewolf even if it is the meta, but I would on other characters. I also thought being either of them would be a handicap for maximum survivability, but I asked some people and they say the opposite.

Vampire helps with sustain, as there is a passive that increases Stamina Recovery. I personally recommend it, since the extra fire damage is a joke.
    vFG1 HM
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I need poisons?
    #1 10:22AM
    Insightful Agree Awesome Quote Report

No, Poisons are really only important in PvP and not so much in PvE. This might change with the new updates as most Stam Builds use Dual-Wield and the enchantments are taking a nerf for this skill line.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely nothing wrong with being a vamp, as the sustain never hurts. Only thing to note is that there is some content where you will likely want to lower your vamp phase down to 2 due to the abundance of fire damage (no reason to go to 1 as you lose the sustain passives). No reason to be a werewolf if you dont plan to transform. You can get pretty high DPS in WW form with a relatively simply rotation, but a proper rotation without it will beat it.

Alcast guides are as good of a place to start as any. I think the easiest way to think of Alcasts guides are as meta builds that are slightly tamed down for the masses, which is exactly what you want as a beginner.

The biggest thing about stamblade is practice and learning to manage your spectral bow procs. The biggest mistake beginners make is thinking that their gear/build is the most important thing. Rotation is WAY WAY WAY more important than gear. Of course your gear matters, but there are half a dozen set combos that are all going to be in the same ball park. The only way you are going to get good at your rotation is beating on a dummy for a while. Stamblade is perhaps the most difficult rotation in game, but with risk comes reward, so keep at it.
  • Derunik
    Derunik
    The biggest thing about stamblade is practice and learning to manage your spectral bow procs. The biggest mistake beginners make is thinking that their gear/build is the most important thing. Rotation is WAY WAY WAY more important than gear. Of course your gear matters, but there are half a dozen set combos that are all going to be in the same ball park. The only way you are going to get good at your rotation is beating on a dummy for a while. Stamblade is perhaps the most difficult rotation in game, but with risk comes reward, so keep at it.

First, what is that spectral bow? I have no clue how you get it and I have all abilities unlocked, so I guess it's gear related.
    Second, I have a major issue with the fact I have to click to do light/heavy attacks in my rotation. I used to play WoW and I mastered all 36 specs on there, yet managing to properly weave in light attacks doesn't work for me. It's going alot better than when I just found the guide, but doing the proper amount of light attacks at the right moment is still a long ways off.

I'm gonna get bitten soon™ then, really liked being a vampire.
  • Derunik
    Derunik
    Nvm the spectral bow part I know what it is, just didn't know it was called that xD
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First, what is that spectral bow? I have no clue how you get it and I have all abilities unlocked, so I guess it's gear related.
    Second, I have a major issue with the fact I have to click to do light/heavy attacks in my rotation. I used to play WoW and I mastered all 36 specs on there, yet managing to properly weave in light attacks doesn't work for me. It's going alot better than when I just found the guide, but doing the proper amount of light attacks at the right moment is still a long ways off.

I'm gonna get bitten soon™ then, really liked being a vampire.

Your first issue leads to your second issue. The centerpiece of a NB damage rotation is the skill grim focus, which as a stamblade you will morph to relentless focus. When you cast the skill you get minor berserk for 20 seconds, which gives a nice damage boost. You also build stacks towards a spectral bow proc (nothing to do with your gear) by using light attacks. Every 5 light attacks will proc the bow, allowing you to cast the skill to fire it. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I am not aware of any single target ability that hits harder than a spectral bow proc (other than maybe an execute with a bunch of bloodthirsty jewelry).

A good nightblade will get 3 bow procs per cast of relentless focus/merciless resolve, and average one will get 2, and a bad one will get one or less. The way to get bow procs is to light weave your skills.

In a perfect world you put a light attack in front of every skill you fire. Every 5th skill, you will weave a the spectral bow instead of a skill. This is exactly how the best mageblades do it. For most stamblades, they use a rotation that is a bit more circular, so you might, for example, finish your back bar rotation as the 5th skill and fire the bow proc when you swap back to your front bar, but 3 per cast is still the goal for the elite.

To be candid, light weaving is a vital part of a competitive DPS rotation. Heavy attacks can also be weaved, but they should be minimized and only used for resource management. No class is more dependent on a good light weave than Nightblade (magic or stam) as their best damage skill is designed around it. If you dont light weave, your damage is going to suffer hard on any class, but harder on NBs. Light weaving is definitely an art that needs practicing to master. I also highly recommend a good MMO mouse, as it makes it much easier.

If you are on PC/NA, I am happy to give you a bite when I get off work in a few hours.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 1, 2019 6:35PM
  • Derunik
    Derunik
    I just got my vampire skill line back, still need to get 10 skill points to invest in it though.

I think I need to complete my non-trial gear setup first. Having to do the Maelstrom arena on veteran just to get the bow is going to wreck me most likely, haven't even tried the normal version yet. Normal trials seem easy enough, but only got one useful piece out of it thus far. I have the Hundings Rage parts of my build already, still need the briarheart jewelry. I also need ot be able to do Vet Cradle of Shadows, but I don't think I'm welcome with 10k dps xD
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    I just got my vampire skill line back, still need to get 10 skill points to invest in it though.

I think I need to complete my non-trial gear setup first. Having to do the Maelstrom arena on veteran just to get the bow is going to wreck me most likely, haven't even tried the normal version yet. Normal trials seem easy enough, but only got one useful piece out of it thus far. I have the Hundings Rage parts of my build already, still need the briarheart jewelry. I also need ot be able to do Vet Cradle of Shadows, but I don't think I'm welcome with 10k dps xD

I hate to say it, but you may be rushing to get yourself into content. Based on your answers you seem to be a long way away from harder vet trials. Your best bet is to go with the beginner or intermediate setup and and practice playing the class. Let the harder content come as you get more experience
    vFG1 HM