The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Am I wrong to think 5 people shouldn't be able to capture a scroll?

Holycannoli
Holycannoli
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Getting through the gate is one thing, but the scroll guards have no way to stop a small dungeon-size group from capturing a scroll?

Maybe it's my old DAOC thinking but scrolls should require a raid. 5 people should be guaranteed to meet their doom. The scrolls are surrounded by guards that can't do their job.

I do understand though that scroll guards that are actually capable of doing their job + player defenders would be too much.
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve soloed a scroll before, took too long to run back on my magblade..won’t do it again
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive captured a scroll solo
    Ive captured a scroll with the gate closed solo
    Ive ran a scroll all the way around a map solo, like clockwise iirc (to be fair i was emperor on the lowbie server at the time)
    Ive 1vXed with a scroll (both as emp and not)
    Ive farmed 500k AP in a single session with a scroll

I was part of the very first live game scroll run (first release day for early access, iirc it was on auriels bow?, that was a long time ago, almost six years)

Ive also done most of the above with groups of 100

and groups of 8

and 5

and 200

All of that before I retired and uninstalled 2 1/2 years ago

So I mean, really?

This is still a discussion?
    Edited by Rylana on February 2, 2019 3:22PM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you uninstalled 2 1/2 years ago why are you here commented on my post? And it doesn't change the fact that scrolls should not be capturable by tiny groups, let alone soloed.

It's currently many times more difficult to capture keeps, if only because of the time required. Maybe the scrolls should be behind walls and doors too.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why shouldn't a small group of players who know that they are doing be able to capture a scroll?

Your alliance has ample opportunities to stop them. In order to capture a scroll, you have to lose two specific tri-Keeps, they have to make it past the NPC-defended Gate (which now dismounts you), and the scroll guards. If you stop them at any point or retake one of the tri-Keeps, they can't take your scroll.

That's one reason for a low time requirement, by the way. If you go recapture a tri-keep, a barrier slams down around that scroll that does a million damage to any enemy trying to grab it. Groups that grab scrolls have to be quick or else risk losing their chance.

If this group of 5 only faced NPCs or weak players all that time, again, why shouldn't they be able to take your scroll?

Cyrodiil is Player vs Player. The people who should be doing the bulk of the defending and attacking are Players, not NPCs. If your players aren't doing a good job of defending for whatever reason, you will lose your scrolls if the enemy is competent. NPCs should not be upgraded because your alliance didn't defend their scrolls against a decent small group.
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 2, 2019 3:59PM
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're not wrong Varnais, except for small thing that winds up a big thing: the NPC guards suck at their jobs. They're not even speed bumps. The keeps are the speed bumps.

It happens when one alliance is underpopulated. Off-hours raiding has been a problem since DAOC but in DAOC to take a relic required more than a small group, at least when I played.

Capturing keeps with small groups is fine IMO. Capturing an elder scroll with a group of 4 or 5 (or solo) should be impossible. But that's me.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't see it.

Capturing a keep means breaking down a wall and a door, or two doors, capturing two flags, and repairing the keep.

Capturing a scroll means capturing two keeps and holding them long enough to grab the scroll, racing past the choke point at the gate, taking the scroll from the temple, then racing back out the choke point at the gate, and guarding the scroll runner all the way back to home territory.

A. Taking a scroll is plenty difficult enough in my opinion. The difficulty goes beyond just grabbing the scroll from the Temple.

B. There are ample opportunities for enemy players to interfere effectively with a scroll grab. If they don't, for whatever reason, NPCs should not be picking up the slack more than they already do.

C. You acknowledge that this is a problem at low population times and in your OP ackniwledged that empowering NPCs in addition to players during competitive times would be too much. So far, ZOS has been unwilling to balance for Cyrodiil's low population hours.

In short, I think Cyrodiil is largely a Player vs Player zone. If you dont want 4 or 5 players stealing your scrolls, your alliance needs to respond effectively to interfere with the scroll take. Even a few players ought to be able to take advantage of the choke points or the NPC presence at the temple to mess up a small group trying to take a scroll. And if nobody comes to defend or the defenders can't manage to beat a group of 4-5 (or solo, LOL) with NPC support, as far as I'm concerned, that small group deserves to get the scroll if they are good enough to grab it and take it home.
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 3, 2019 12:14AM
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know, it just makes me wonder what the point of all those NPC guards. They do nothing at the gate and they do nothing at the scrolls so why even them have them there? What is their point?
    Edited by Holycannoli on February 3, 2019 1:12AM
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes.

rip decibel
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just the other day our scroll was taken. I stopped by at the temple to soothe the priests, when a lone suicidal elf ran into the scroll-less temple. He pulled a couple guards and stood still... then pulled some more for a total of 8-10 and waited. He died a slow, painful death. Also, painful to watch those pathetic guards.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, it just makes me wonder what the point of all those NPC guards. They do nothing at the gate and they do nothing at the scrolls so why even them have them there? What is their point?

For one, they keep enemy players in combat so they can't mount up and move quicker to and fron the temple and the gate, making it easier for defenders to catch them or get in position. Yes, that's quite important during a competitive scroll take when we're fighting or trying to escape defenders.

Being in combat can also complicate actually picking up the scroll. Again, important when we're dealing with actual players coming to defend the scroll.

But you seem to want the guards to be able to handle players on their own, and that's just not the case. The guards can be invaluable supports to allied players in the vicinity - I can't tell you how many times my raid ate a guard thrown negate at the worst possible time or players got dismounted or hels in combat by NPCs - but NPCs do not replace actual players defending objectives. They supplement, not replace and IMO that's exactly how it ought to be.

The actual answer for how to keep a small group of 4 or 5 players from taking your scrolls is for players to show up and help those NPCs defend the scroll like the Player vs Player zone that Cyrodiil is.
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guards can be invaluable supports to allied players in the vicinity - I can't tell you how many times my raid ate a guard thrown negate at the worst possible time...

And apart from Negate, they're just Inhale, Sap and Batswarm fodder.
    The actual answer for how to keep a small group of 4 or 5 players from taking your scrolls is for players to show up and help those NPCs defend the scroll like the Player vs Player zone that Cyrodiil is.

Agreed, with a twist. If Cyrodiil is so Player vs Player focused, why is Player vs Non-Player-Character heavily rewarded?
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merlight wrote: »
    The guards can be invaluable supports to allied players in the vicinity - I can't tell you how many times my raid ate a guard thrown negate at the worst possible time...

And apart from Negate, they're just Inhale, Sap and Batswarm fodder.

Agreed, with a twist. If Cyrodiil is so Player vs Player focused, why is Player vs Non-Player-Character heavily rewarded?

By that, I'm guessing you mean PVDooring keeps and scrolls for AP and points? Again, the incentive is for players to show up and defend objectives or else they are very likely to lose objectives and points to the enemy faction. If the enemy wants easy points/AP, they'll go for less defended targets even though they miss the extra AP for killing more players at heavily defended targets.

Cyrodiil has guards NPCs to slow down and inconvenience the enemy while the defending players are supposed to be the real threat. If the defending players don't show up to defend their territory, the NPCs usually aren't sufficient to hold it unless the attacking players are not very good.

That's exactly what we see with scroll takes. NPC guards slow down enemies, dismount them, and keep them in combat, thus making it easier for defenders to get in position and intercept the scroll capture group. The real bulk of the work of defending the scroll has to be done by players or else the players are going to lose the scroll.

I don't really have a problem with that. These factions are made up of players, and if players aren't going to defend their scrolls against a small groups of 4 to 5 players, the problem isn't that the NPCs can't handle the enemy. or that the small group got "rewarded" for pursuing an objective that no one showed up to defend.
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil has guards NPCs to slow down and inconvenience the enemy...

But they can't do that anymore. I remember when guards did not melt under 2 ballista shots. It was such an inconvenience that ZOS turned them into wet paper dolls.
    That's exactly what we see with scroll takes. NPC guards slow down enemies, dismount them, and keep them in combat

If it was not for the stuck-in-combat-for-five-years feature, this slowing down would amount to a few seconds at best, practically irrelevant.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But they can't do that anymore. I remember when guards did not melt under 2 ballista shots. It was such an inconvenience that ZOS turned them into wet paper dolls.
    That's exactly what we see with scroll takes. NPC guards slow down enemies, dismount them, and keep them in combat

If it was not for the stuck-in-combat-for-five-years feature, this slowing down would amount to a few seconds at best, practically irrelevant.

In my experience, its not irrelevant when we're facing actual player enemies during a competitive scroll take and that was true even before the stuck-in-combat-forever bug. Which is the point, after all. Its a supplement to what the player defenders are supposed to be doing, not a full NPC defense of the scroll capable of beating attacking players who know what they are doing.

But I suspect we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 3, 2019 5:22PM
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wet paper dolls? Sounds very much like you play stam char out in cyro......intelligent players will always find a way to achieve something that takes coordination and know how. Try to alter that (even after it was altered one time already) further and you have larger groups of players to do simple tasks. Beyond that.....respond faster, move quicker and think about what is happening on the map before its too late to make an impact.
  • Steelshiv
    Steelshiv
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getting through the gate is one thing, but the scroll guards have no way to stop a small dungeon-size group from capturing a scroll?

Maybe it's my old DAOC thinking but scrolls should require a raid. 5 people should be guaranteed to meet their doom. The scrolls are surrounded by guards that can't do their job.

I do understand though that scroll guards that are actually capable of doing their job + player defenders would be too much.

I agree, increasing the difficulty to get an enemy scroll should be increased. It would at the very least prevent/deter night capping which is a big problem on many campaigns.

Another former DAoC player! Yes! Hibernian Ranger here XD
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Less skill more zergs please.
  • Steelshiv
    Steelshiv
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    Less skill more zergs please.

If I have to do more than 1 spamable aoe + LA then ulti bomb on crown it's a bad day.
  • Alfie2072
    Alfie2072
    ✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    Ive captured a scroll solo
    Ive captured a scroll with the gate closed solo
    Ive ran a scroll all the way around a map solo, like clockwise iirc (to be fair i was emperor on the lowbie server at the time)
    Ive 1vXed with a scroll (both as emp and not)
    Ive farmed 500k AP in a single session with a scroll

I was part of the very first live game scroll run (first release day for early access, iirc it was on auriels bow?, that was a long time ago, almost six years)

Ive also done most of the above with groups of 100

and groups of 8

and 5

and 200

All of that before I retired and uninstalled 2 1/2 years ago

So I mean, really?

This is still a discussion?

and behold, a wild rylanna apears
    PvP - Stamina Warden - Stamina Templar - Stamina Dragonknight - Stamina Nightblade
    Worst Twitch Streamer Here
  • Prince_of_all_Pugs
    Prince_of_all_Pugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you uninstalled 2 1/2 years ago why are you here commented on my post? And it doesn't change the fact that scrolls should not be capturable by tiny groups, let alone soloed.

It's currently many times more difficult to capture keeps, if only because of the time required. Maybe the scrolls should be behind walls and doors too.

this was worth reading this post.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steelshiv wrote: »
    I agree, increasing the difficulty to get an enemy scroll should be increased. It would at the very least prevent/deter night capping which is a big problem on many campaigns.

You do know that some of what you guys call "night capping" is people from other parts of the world playing, right? Parts of the world where it's not necessarily night time....
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    Steelshiv wrote: »

You do know that some of what you guys call "night capping" is people from other parts of the world playing, right? Parts of the world where it's not necessarily night time....

Yes people are aware. The problem is, at least on PC/NA is that outside of Vivec which has pretty even pops through out the day, other campaigns just get PvDoored. There’s a group of AD on Shor that have been PvDooring scrolls and tri keeps almost every “night” for actual years when there’s no one else playing the map. But what can you do? You can jsut say people can’t play at certain hours.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe ZOS should add a feature where once you take the scroll the gate the shuts again and you’re forced to siege it down to get out, like an emergency lock down.

Either that or the priests of each alliance would gain the abilty to some lightning bolts from the sky that randomly strike down the opposite alliances within 28 meters of the scroll runner and one shot them.
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are...
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • Get_Packed
    Get_Packed
    ✭✭✭
    Should good players or those with a well thought out plan be able to do anything in this game?
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get_Packed wrote: »
    Should good players or those with a well thought out plan be able to do anything in this game?

Apparently not. There appears to be little that people won't QQ about.