Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

WTF is With Some of the Dungeons in this Game?

Damedius
Damedius
They are like raids from other games and seem like they require you to study the mechanics before playing them.

• codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    which ones? the DLC ones? I mean yeah, most you can pick up the mechanics pretty easily in (some are a bit un-intuitive). But you can find guides on them on Alcast's website if you're struggling.
    Edited by codestripper on January 31, 2019 12:44PM
    Since everyone seems to be doing this,
    DPS Builds:
    - Magicka Sorcerer (Pet) [Flawless Conqueror @ 565CP] - 582k
    - Magicka Nightblade [Flawless Conqueror @ 780CP] - 575k
    - Stamina Sorcerer [Flawless Conqueror @ 420CP] - 560k
    - Magicka Classless [Flawless Conqueror @ 810CP] - 540k
    - Magicka Templar [Stormproof] - 550k
    - Magicka Warden [Stormproof] - 510k
    - Stamina Templar [In Development]
    - Stamina DK [In Development]
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    All of the new ones are a chore to play.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS upped the mechanics and power of later dungeons to match the power level players had achieved.

They're very unforgiving if you don't know the mechanics or play to them.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Damedius
    Damedius
    Turelus wrote: »
    ZOS upped the mechanics and power of later dungeons to match the power level players had achieved.

Okay. That must be it then. The one that just curbstomped our group was Scalecaller Peak.
    Edited by Damedius on January 31, 2019 12:54PM
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damedius wrote: »

Okay. That mus be it then. The one that just curbstomped our group was Scalecaller Peak.

ooo yeah that's a tough one. Do you have any questions about any specific mechanics? We can help.
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • Damedius
    Damedius

Okay. That mus be it then. The one that just curbstomped our group was Scalecaller Peak.

ooo yeah that's a tough one. Do you have any questions about any specific mechanics? We can help.

The first boss wrecked us hard. It was just a pug I queued for to do the dailies.

I'll probably leave it for later and do it with some guildies.
  • pluckpluck
    pluckpluck
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the title of the post, you see the mechanics as an issue @Damedius ?

You have to differenciate non-DLC and DLC ones. Mostly, non-DLC dungs are pretty easy, with some limited mechanics, but effectively, DLC ones ask you to learn from.

And to add difficulty to these, some mechanics are RNG based :)

But at a point you'll wait for them. It's a pleasure for me and my dungeonning partners to discover new contents and mechanics, and chase achievements related to. Where in non DLC, bosses in vet and hardmode have mostly more life and deal more damage, in newest dungs, it even adds more mechanics.

Of course some achievements are a pain to get (ahhhhhhh MoS godmode..) but what a satisfaction once you finish them.

"The net is a waste of time and that's exactly what's right about it. "
    -- W. Gibson
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The first boss wrecked us hard. It was just a pug I queued for to do the dailies.

I'll probably leave it for later and do it with some guildies.

That's the best way to learn these is with guildies imo. At least some people that won't bail after a few wipes.

That first boss is actually one of the easier ones once you learn the mechanics. I'll try not to spell it out for you but here's some things to watch out for:
    - Keep them separated, The middle one doesn't move so the tank can take the other to the outer rim.
    - 1 DPS per boss, ranged on the middle, melee on the outer
    - Try to DPS them down equally (If not one gets enraged and you're likely in for a wipe)
    - Interrupt middle when he becomes interruptable (If not, be wary of skeevers)
    - If you see a red circle around your feet, hop into an ice AOE and freeze yourself
    - If you see Ice pillars up, I suggest hiding behind them

I think that's mostly it, if you have any other questions lemme know.
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Generally this is how our group works

Keep wanderer ogre on out range <other doesn't move>
    Both DPS focus outer, there are benefits to this. The middle guy will *not* do his skeever mechanic untill he get some dmg on him, so kill outer to about 25-30% <we usually stop at 30>
    Bring middle guy to about the same. Then evenly kill them at same time.

Mechanics of ogres:

They both cast abilities that cancel each other out <Which is why you need both alive through the fight>.

Tremor Mechanic:

Outer ogre will cast "Tremors" that will spawn an AoE that chases each member <It should say something on your screen as a warning>
    The middle will cast this HUGE aoe with little circles in it that move.

When tremors come the middle guy will drop his AoE <allowing you to enter mid> -> Everyone run into a circle and wait for the AoE to hit you <Don't CC out of it early>. It will break you free and negate the dmg from tremors.

*Hint: Tremors spawn from him so tanks/MDPS are close the the aoe spawn. So get ready early and range players give the AoE's close to the boss to the poor tank/mdps.

Pillar mechanic:
    The outer ogre will cast these giant pillar spikes <Two giant ones>.

The middle ogre will cast a charging ice ball - each team hide behind the nearest pillar - tank don't run through middle as it will spawn the posion AoE on you, just go around the edge.

Rinse and repeat:

Skeever mechanic - the middle guy will smack on the group and you will hear something about Skeevers - simply bash or range interrupt him to stop the rats from spawning.

**It is generally one of the harder <Hardest?> first bosses in most vet dungeons.
    Edited by karekiz on January 31, 2019 7:43PM
  • pluckpluck
    pluckpluck
    ✭✭✭
    Also, on that boss, when it's time to turn icy, your tank should look for a rolling AoE far from middle, so the ogres don't come close to each other, else it can be deadly.

Because heavy attack from melee Ogre is deadly and not that easy to rolldodge, your tank can go for undaunted shield (bone shield?) that will help a lot. And when you hide behind an ice pillar, the tank can't rolldodge the attack anymore, so it is definitely a skill to equip :)

-- W. Gibson
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you're looking at the dungeon list in game, everything after Vaults of Madness is a DLC dungeon and they are significantly more difficult than regular dungeons.
  • Damedius
    Damedius
    karekiz wrote: »
    Snip.
    That's a really thorough write up.
  • Damedius
    Damedius
    SaltySudd wrote: »
    If you're looking at the dungeon list in game, everything after Vaults of Madness is a DLC dungeon and they are significantly more difficult than regular dungeons.

That's very helpful. I think I will avoid them until I max out my champion points.
  • pluckpluck
    pluckpluck
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, you shouldn't wait but start to practice them, just, do them in order, to have an incremental difficulty. DLC are harder, true, but each new DLC put the difficulty a little higher than the DLC before.

I think vet DLC ask you to be minimum CP300. Don't got for a Scalecaller or a MoonHunterKeep directly, but instead start with Imperial City Prison, White Gold Tower, once you got the mechanics and achieved HM, think to start Cradle of Shadows and Mazzatun. BloodForge, FalkreathHold, ScalecallerPeak, Fanglair, and finally the Wolfhunter ones.

I tend to say that CP300 is a cap to start DLC veterans, and by CP600 you should be able to run DragonBones DLC. So don't wait CP810 :) but.. try to have at least someone in the group able to explain mechanics, be on a vocal because communication is most of the time the key, and you'll see at a point that you'll enjoy to learn and practice mechanics. Hardest, in fact, is to get a stable group to run with, to get used to others and react accordingly.
    -- W. Gibson
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo the dlc dungeons go like this on vet no HM

Falkreath hold (final boss with all the adds)
    Moon hunter keep
    Bloodroot forge
    Scalecaller peak
    Fang lair
    March of sacrifices

Then they get much easier

Ruins of maz
    White gold tower
    Cradle of shadows
    Imperial city prison

Everything before this is just too easy.
  • pluckpluck
    pluckpluck
    ✭✭✭
    @Drdeath20 Joined July 2016

After two years on the game, it is normal you think "everything before this is just too easy" but it's not the case for every player :)
    -- W. Gibson
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    pluckpluck wrote: »
    @Drdeath20 Joined July 2016

After two years on the game, it is normal you think "everything before this is just too easy" but it's not the case for every player :)

i have been here since beta and i think the new stuff is just a pain.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They are like raids from other games and seem like they require you to study the mechanics before playing them.

ESO devs are great at storylines lore and dressing up the world, but terrible at content creation. Once you get out of base game the dungeons get progressively harder to the point of ridiculous. They even started adding area damage that isnt from enemies and that is massive. Instant kill mechanics, dps checks, etc. and your right our dungeons are basically like raids with crappy loot.

It puts a lot of people off dungeons including me. Raids are suppose to be 90 min to 3 hours long. It is suppose to be a lengthy progression of challenging bosses that come with their own puzzles. Dungeons are not suppose to be raid length and many of the "vanilla" dungeons are pretty quick. But the DLC dungeons can take 45 to an hour with an average group. The are long to the point of " OMG is it ever going to end!"

IMO, a dungeon should take a group of average PUGGERs 15-30 minutes. Not a group of BIS perfect rotation meta players 15-30 minutes. And there should never be raid mechanics in a dungeon. A dungeon is suppose to teach you how to do raid style gameplay. In a group working together, everyone needs to do their part. NOT hard dps check with enrage timers and if you dont dodge roll, block, block, jump, strafe left and then jump on the moving flat rock that suddenly appears in a river of lava, you die. Dungeons you are meant to work on groups skills and then raid mechanics to hone working together with a team

But meta players complain that content is to easy because of the power creep of CP and instead of just creating a third raid like tier of dungeons, ZOS, as always, takes the easy way out and just keeps making each new dungeon more ridiculous.

I think the newest dungeon i have done is scalecaller because i was like nope this is getting to ridiculous. Now most DLCs if i get in a random queue i just take the penalty for deserter and go do something else. I dont want to commit half my free time in the evening to a single dungeon. I want in and out fun and quick group runs.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on February 3, 2019 2:59PM