The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What does being a Pet Sorc mean to you?

codestripper
codestripper
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been curious lately about why people still run their pet sorcs after the big survivability nerf. I run mine because I love the playstyle, and I was expecting a lot more people to quit and move on to the next easiest class (which a lot did). But, I've seen quite a few people recently sticking with them so It begs the question, Why do you choose to play a pet sorc over other characters?

My own personal reason:
I've been playing a pet build since launch. I like the survivability they had (and still have in some respect) as well as their group utility. To me, playing a pet sorc means you know you will not be able to output the level of DPS at endgame levels that a magblade or magplar can, but you also know that you can provide a lot of utility instead. On mine I tend to run Infallible Aether, Twilight matriarch, Greater storm atro, lightning staves, and lastly (thanks to @Deloth_Vyrr) crystal fragments.

Utility included with this setup:
- 8% Extra damage to a target applied with a heavy attack for the group (I run a 2 heavy attack rotation so this is quite easy to keep up. Also frees up a slot for the healer to run something else)
- Massive burst heal with the matriarch (you have no idea how many wipes this has saved in my core groups)
- Major Berserk for a single DPS with the Atronach (usually thrown on the highest stamdps in the group)
- High off balance uptime thanks to lightning staff setup
- High Minor Prophecy uptime thanks to dark magic ability

This pet sorc setup offers infinite sustain through 2 heavy attacks, very high group utility, and can still parse above 45k quite easily, making it a perfect fit for my playstlye. While it may not be considered "Top level DPS" I think it makes up for it well enough. Also I like to solo stuff and I really enjoy my time with my pet sorc in doing so.

So, what's your reason? (also what's the name of your pets? Mine are called "Tankbane and Flappy Bird"
Since everyone seems to be doing this,
DPS Builds:
- Magicka Sorcerer (Pet) [Flawless Conqueror @ 565CP] - 582k
- Magicka Nightblade [Flawless Conqueror @ 780CP] - 575k
- Stamina Sorcerer [Flawless Conqueror @ 420CP] - 560k
- Magicka Classless [Flawless Conqueror @ 810CP] - 540k
- Magicka Templar [Stormproof] - 550k
- Magicka Warden [Stormproof] - 510k
- Stamina Templar [In Development]
- Stamina DK [In Development]
- Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pet sorcerer is an individual trained in particular magic who has a master that they must obey.

Dark Elf Sorcerer. My setup is not meta by any means, and is meant for tanking. I use Necropotence and Torugs on my Sorcerer Tank with the Twilight Matriarch. Monster set is usually Infernal Guardian, Grothdarr or Shadowrend. I have not done any PvP on this character so it uses the Storm Atronach and Suppression Field. Around 35-40k Magicka, 26k Health and 14k Stamina, give or take.

If I have the Magicka for it, I can off heal in bursts when the healer is lacking, or dead, and can output up to 10k DPS if things get that bad and I'm left standing to finish the boss by myself. It's enough to stand my ground a few minutes against the final boss of City of Ash(2) for example when the other group members have fallen in battle.

---
    Edited by VaxtinTheWolf on January 31, 2019 2:00PM
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pet sorcerer is an individual trained in particular magic who has a master that they must obey.

Dark Elf Sorcerer. My setup is not meta by any means, and is meant for tanking. I use Necropotence and Torugs on my Sorcerer Tank with the Twilight Matriarch. Monster set is usually Infernal Guardian, Grothdarr or Shadowrend. I have not done any PvP on this character so it uses the Storm Atronach and Suppression Field. Around 35-40k Magicka, 26k Health and 14k Stamina, give or take.

If I have the Magicka for it, I can off heal in bursts when the healer is lacking, or dead, and can output up to 10k DPS if things get that bad I'm left standing to finish the boss. It's enough to stand my ground a few minutes against the final boss of City of Ash(2) for example when the other group members have fallen in battle.

---

Eyyy mine's a dunmer too! Servos Avalan. Necro/Torugs isn't something I've seen before but a really cool build. What's the hardest content you've been able to push it to do? Also do you use 2 lightning staves or 1 lightning 1 S&B? And most importantly, does your Matriarch have a name? :D
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eyyy mine's a dunmer too! Servos Avalan. Necro/Torugs isn't something I've seen before but a really cool build. What's the hardest content you've been able to push it to do? Also do you use 2 lightning staves or 1 lightning 1 S&B? And most importantly, does your Matriarch have a name? :D

Weapons are 1H&S + 1H&S. Completed content would consist of any Non-DLC Veteran HM Dungeon, but also including Veteran HM WGT for Spell Power Cure during one of the free ESO+ weeks. No Trial experience as I've never tried them.

The Matriarch has no name. Neither does the Clannfear, which I also use with a different Tanking setup that's not used much since it's less interesting to me. I prefer the Clannfear though, I'm into that. If they had a name though, the context is likely to be inappropriate.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My key to beating vMA...getting stuck on crystals in final boss.

I will beat it! Eventually...
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can duplicate your post. Just only 42k for me. What sets are you using? (I assume IA+necro?)
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Weapons are 1H&S + 1H&S. Completed content would consist of any Non-DLC Veteran HM Dungeon, but also including Veteran HM WGT for Spell Power Cure during one of the free ESO+ weeks. No Trial experience as I've never tried them.

The Matriarch has no name. Neither does the Clannfear, which I also use with a different Tanking setup that's not used much since it's less interesting to me. I prefer the Clannfear though, I'm into that. If they had a name though, the context is likely to be inappropriate.

Hey vWGT HM is nothing to scoff at, very tank heavy fight. If the tank goes down there It's pretty much game over for the group. Also, yeah that's fair enough about the names lol.
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome going for a vMA clear on it. In terms of the crystals, not sure what part you're specifically having trouble with it but I'll lend you my strategy for that fight when I do my runs:

- Drop destro ult for burst damage and dps boss down in middle until 70% (this is when he goes up). If you don't have the DPS then save ult for when daedroth spawns and get them both in it.
    - spin in tight circles around daedroth when breathing fire (you prob already know this one since you beat the rest, but you don't get damaged if you spin him around tight enough)
    - Keep your eyes on the boss at all times, lay down DoTs on 1 crystal at a time and watch for his windup. First phase you get 1 windup, every phase after shields you will get 2 heavy attack windups from him (I find it easiest to block them)
    - If your problem is surviving up there, make sure you have power surge and grab the healing sigil.
    - Once back down, immediately grab the shield sigil and power sigil, then ult dump and burn. Do not interrupt if you have the shield sigil. (my strat is actually interrupt then burn when he teleports, but this can be hard for new runners)

If you have any questions or want any more tips I'd love to help. I lived in vMA for a long while.
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    I can duplicate your post. Just only 42k for me. What sets are you using? (I assume IA+necro?)

Yeah IA + Necro. Infused on the big pieces. I also run Zaans because I find myself in more melee situations than ranged, but illambris provides similar results depending on how good your flame uptime is.
    Edited by codestripper on January 31, 2019 2:45PM
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run dual pets and love the group heals in vet dungeons when the healer is lagging and the DPS, it's saved wiping untold amount of times. I wish the pets looked better though they look like pale versions of the walking dead.
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run dual pets and love the group heals in vet dungeons when the healer is lagging and the DPS, it's saved wiping untold amount of times. I wish the pets looked better though they look like pale versions of the walking dead.

Yeah, I could definitely get behind some skins at least. That'd be pretty sick if they had elemental skins based on what element you were using, but if you had 2 different staff types then that'd probably bug them, unless it went based off of which staff you summoned them on...yeah no that'd be pretty awesome. Even better if it also modified the damage type, because then Elemental Succession might actually be useful.
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • twofaced
    twofaced
    ✭✭✭
    ??????? Dude, 6438 base magicka is the only reason you need a pet.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Pet Sorc because I love the feel of playing with summons. My dream in this game would be to run a stamina-based, archery version of a conjurer with permanent pets. Pet Sorc is mainly magicka-based, unfortunately.

It feels so close with the Warden, but it needs one more permanent summon to feel good (I've been suggesting a wolf for a while).
  • Vigawatt
    Vigawatt
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked summons from other TES games. Because I mostly play as a solo player I like the idea that I have one tank (familiar), one healer (matriach), and one DPS (me). I run with Maw of the Infernal to get another summon out there, and to be a true lord of summons I used to run with Mad Tinkerer to get 5 summons out at once, but I've since switched to Destruction Mastery.

I know I need more practice with a good rotation so I haven't measured my DPS in a while.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use my petsorc in any pve other than doing story quests. However I do use Twilight Matriarch in pvp to heal me, give me more magicka, increase my ward size and put minor vulnerability on my enemy.
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use my petsorc in any pve other than doing story quests. However I do use Twilight Matriarch in pvp to heal me, give me more magicka, increase my ward size and put minor vulnerability on my enemy.

Do you use IA in PvP? Minor Vulnerability doesn't come from the pets in PvE. I don't PvP though so I'm not 100% on that.
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you use IA in PvP? Minor Vulnerability doesn't come from the pets in PvE. I don't PvP though so I'm not 100% on that.

Twilight and scamp use shock attacks. I haven't tested it for pets specifically but all shock direct attacks should have a small chance (20% I think) to proc minor vulnerability.
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Twilight and scamp use shock attacks. I haven't tested it for pets specifically but all shock direct attacks should have a small chance (20% I think) to proc minor vulnerability.

OH Concussed! Yeah okay I'm picking up what you're putting down. Yes you're right, I forgot that applied minor vulnerability for a second there.

Edit: Found the percentages table as well:
    Standardized the chance an ability has to apply a secondary effect, such as burning, chilled, or concussed. These chances are:

Weapon enchants 20%
    Standard ability 10%
    Area of effect abilities 5%
    Damage over time abilities 3%
    Area of effect damage over time abilities 1%
    Edited by codestripper on January 31, 2019 3:48PM
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use them because I am responsible for them. They have been my loyal companions and children since 5 years. We lived through many ups and downs, we are bonded.

The name of my scamp is Inc. The name originated when the familiar still was an on demand explosion that dealt high damage and stunned enemies. My Twilight's name is Lady Zap and the name of my Atronach is Zymel Ashal.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For PVE I use them to help block off bankers, merchants, and writ turn ins for other players.

For PVP I use them to hide behind, be incredibly annoying, while still not being able to kill anyone.

Sarcasm aside I only use them if I'm doing solo dungeon runs, other than that I prefer to do my own dps rather than rely on a pet.
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like my pet sorc because she's
    A- Super Adorbs.
    (See pic below)

B- It's really nice and easy rotation that can support groups in crazy situations with off heals, and still maintain a high DPS parse in combat.

C- I miss playing pet based classes from other MMO's! So it's nice ESO has the sorc and warden. I played necro in GW2, and Hunters in WoW- both really fun.

unknown.png
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My best 4man HM role ;)
    Even shield nerfed
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    I use them because I am responsible for them. They have been my loyal companions and children since 5 years. We lived through many ups and downs, we are bonded.

The name of my scamp is Inc. The name originated when the familiar still was an on demand explosion that dealt high damage and stunned enemies. My Twilight's name is Lady Zap and the name of my Atronach is Zymel Ashal.

yesss I love it, people always saying I should switch to the tormentor for more damage like....pfff I've had flappy bird for 4 1/2 years, I'm not about to trade her in.
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its a unique playstyle. One other classes don't really have <Warden sort of has it I suppose with Bear>.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

yesss I love it, people always saying I should switch to the tormentor for more damage like....pfff I've had flappy bird for 4 1/2 years, I'm not about to trade her in.

To me, the Tormentor and the Matriarch are one and the same.... person. I just act like I make them use different abilities. :)
    I am soooo taunted to use the Tormentor this patch. But I need to carry my ally. He would instantly die without me spamming heal all the time in pvp. So sadly, I am bound. It is a heavy cross to carry.
    Edited by Dracane on February 1, 2019 12:37AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because I can prove someone can do hm vMoL and be competitive even on a bad race, ligthning based pet build.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe i can give alittle advise:

When you get up on top with crystals, drop wall of elements and shield.as you move toward crystal You have to keep moving, the aoe will land where you used to be.

The first aoe will land, your still moving so it will take 3 steps to get out. As soon as u step out of the first aoe block the skull attack. As soon as u block move back the other direction. The next aoe will land where u used to be . As you move back you heavy attack the crystal .

By now the boss will send the moving rock circle you need to stay behind this. You have to walk just ahead of it so when u heavy attack and your movment slows down you will be behind it.

By now your ultimate is up you can either drop it on second crystal and move to 3rd cryatal.

Or drop down and use it on deadroth.

I drop it on second crystal then drop down and heavy attack the deadroth to death myself. You have to walk around him in a circle right by his tail. . One wall of elements and two heavys should do it. Kill clanfer and grab the sigl of haste .. go up and finish 3rd crysstal.

This a bit tricky ut you want ro drop your wall of elements on third crystal just like first. But when u get close to killing crystal drop wall of elements and let it finish of crystal as u shield and heal and drop down. This will give u a few secons to grab sigil of defence do not block skull attack let it reflect back at boss. I grab power sigil as soon as i can and drop ulti as soon as boss streaks again ao ulti can burn him down. I drop wall of elements and light and hea y attack.

I also set up back bar same as front bar .. only skill on front is wall of elemets shield and pets.
    Back bar is the ligtning aoe shield and pets. . So on boss i can switch and drop the extra aoe to bur. Boss.

Of course shields and healing have to be done whe. Needed and always keep the ground pet special ability going.

Hope this helps..
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It means I unsummon them in town! There's nothing more annoying than a matriarch wing in your face while doing busy work in between content.

On a more serious note, I actually love my pet sorc. She's been through a lot that Tamriel has to offer and ill stick with her for most of my PVE adventures. In terms of survivability she's also great. I do wish I had a little more control over the pets though (the burst heal comes in handy if a sticky situation comes about). Her shield (around 11K) is still very potent and I still parse over 40K after changing a few things around since Murkmire.

Lets see how they perform after the new update as I'm sure they will be more valuable than they currently are.
    Edited by Odovacar on February 1, 2019 2:17PM
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why do you need survive when your pets act as meat-shields.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, I'm not sentimental about any of my characters or roles. Originally, I rolled a pet-sorc because it was the easiest path through vMA (at the time). Post shield nerf, I stay with it because the rotation is very forgiving of my high ping and lag spikes. I run matriarch for the clutch heals in PUGs when the healer is stunned, out of resources, or possibly just texting someone. It's a beautiful thing to pull the tank back from 10% health and know your annoying flappy bird prevented the wipe.

Despite not being top shelf DPS (neither the class, nor my abilities with it), I very rarely do less than 15% of the damage in a PUG normal trial and occasionally pull as much as 40% in some particularly dismal groups. All this to say that as a mediocre player, this and Werewolf are my go-tos for easy, consistent, decent (not great) DPS.
    Edited by SirLeeMinion on February 1, 2019 5:13PM