The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Alternative Mounts

Caelnir
Caelnir
✭✭✭
So, I am someone who is very tired to see those non-lore friendly shiny apex mounts. I am still okay with them but I am also someone who never bought crates for apex mounts because I really really do not like them at all. I still use either guar or brown horse on my all characters. So here is some ideas about making mounts for people who thinks/plays like I do; Profession/Class oriented mounts. Here are few examples;

Chef's Horse: With some food sacks,pans,cups,ladle hanging on the back of horse.
Guardian's Horse: With a shield attacked to saddle maybe along with sleeping bed on the back.
Merchant's Horse: With some small chests attached to side of the saddles again. Maybe one or two sacks (who knows what they have inside, gold? jewels?)
Ranger's Horse: With a quiver on the back with arrows or with animal pelts thrown on the back of the horse
Scholar's Horse: With some bags that contains books, scrolls,soul gems inside them
Thief's horse: Maybe one or two sacks with a candalebra or other stolen items showing a little
Miner's horse: Obviously with a pickaxe attached on the side of the saddle!

Those are only few ideas came to my mind while typing this message. Please don't think everyone wants shiny, electrocuted, flamy mounts from you. I feel like there is a big chunk of playerbase you are skipping with your designs. You do that most of the time with outfits but mounts don't really get any love from you apart from changing their colours or skins. If you reply to this message with more ideas it would be great to show ZOS how much attention it gets so maybe they will consider adding more of those. So feel free to add your own ideas here aswell. Thanks for reading :)
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really lovely ideas! But don't limit it to horses, since ESO horses are ... special looking. Camels are good at toting baggage items too y'know!

Thing is that while I love your concepts, I cringe at the crowns cost of getting them all. So I'd rather they were implemented as mount accessories. Want scholar stuff? Buy that upgrade and then you can show it on any mount you own. Still have to pay for them, but get a lot more bang for your buck (similar to buying a hair pack once and then all your alts have it). I know ZoS doesn't seem to like giving major value for crowns spent, and it would be a lot of work for the art team to rework the mount system to allow this, but in the end it would give so much customization and personalizing to mounts that I imagine players would happily pour in the crowns on it.
  • Caelnir
    Caelnir
    ✭✭✭
    Donari wrote: »
    Really lovely ideas! But don't limit it to horses, since ESO horses are ... special looking. Camels are good at toting baggage items too y'know!

Thing is that while I love your concepts, I cringe at the crowns cost of getting them all. So I'd rather they were implemented as mount accessories. Want scholar stuff? Buy that upgrade and then you can show it on any mount you own. Still have to pay for them, but get a lot more bang for your buck (similar to buying a hair pack once and then all your alts have it). I know ZoS doesn't seem to like giving major value for crowns spent, and it would be a lot of work for the art team to rework the mount system to allow this, but in the end it would give so much customization and personalizing to mounts that I imagine players would happily pour in the crowns on it.

That is indeed another cool idea. Maybe those normal horses (brown, black, white) could be customizable for themed saddle types as you mention. Also, ofcourse limiting them to horses wasn't my intention, would love to see it on camels/guars too :)
    I wouldn't be happy to see those as apex mounts either because.. I am not that rich to buy 10-15 crates whenever I want. So even getting 1 would be impossible for me. I was just trying to point out I don't wanna see more shiny, over powered elemental mounts :) Thanks for adding another cool idea to mine.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caelnir wrote: »
    So, I am someone who is very tired to see those non-lore friendly shiny apex mounts.

There are a number of more traditional horse mounts which may be making their way into the game, and the Baandari crate season may see a variation on the merchant or thief idea as Tamriel tends to see the clan as one or the other. There are also the datamined Packrat and War Boar pets suggesting that profession-themed pets aren't off the table.

Bethesda gets to approve what they feel is appropriate for their property. We don't get to see the things they disapproved because they're not in the game.

So it's a lacking argument at this point. I suspect that the reason why we heard about Baandari before Dragonscale, spoilers aside, is that the Dragonscale season had a few more hurdles to leap before getting approved.
    signing off
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chef's Horse: With some food sacks,pans,cups,ladle hanging on the back of horse.
    Guardian's Horse: With a shield attacked to saddle maybe along with sleeping bed on the back.
    Merchant's Horse: With some small chests attached to side of the saddles again. Maybe one or two sacks (who knows what they have inside, gold? jewels?)
    Ranger's Horse: With a quiver on the back with arrows or with animal pelts thrown on the back of the horse
    Scholar's Horse: With some bags that contains books, scrolls,soul gems inside them
    Thief's horse: Maybe one or two sacks with a candalebra or other stolen items showing a little
    Awesome ideas! I'd love to see more normal-ish mounts ingame!

There was a treasure hunter horse datamined from the Wrathstone PTS, but it doesn't look like much - it would be nice if they added overflowing saddle bags and some surveying tools or some such, similarly to the Treasure Hunter costume which has a backback and a shovel hanging from the breastplate :smiley: Anyhow, let's hope that they'll add some custom lore-friendly mounts as the ideas you mentioned! There's only so many gummybear-coloured glowing sparkly elemental mounts one can take before longing for some normalcy lol.

• CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    Awesome ideas! I'd love to see more normal-ish mounts ingame!

There was a treasure hunter horse datamined from the Wrathstone PTS, but it doesn't look like much - it would be nice if they added overflowing saddle bags and some surveying tools or some such, similarly to the Treasure Hunter costume which has a backback and a shovel hanging from the breastplate :smiley: Anyhow, let's hope that they'll add some custom lore-friendly mounts as the ideas you mentioned! There's only so many gummybear-coloured glowing sparkly elemental mounts one can take before longing for some normalcy lol.

As a rule I'll only ever use normal mounts. In my case that's horses only. Regular, non-magickal horses. I do respect normal guar, camels, wolves, and basically any mount that isn't magickal.

You have my IRL training to thank here. My job, when I had one, was looking after 11 horses.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Grynnyl
    Grynnyl
    ✭✭✭
    Donari wrote: »
    it would be a lot of work for the art team to rework the mount system to allow this

Given that we can currently enable/disable/mix-match the accessories for speed, stamina, and inventory, this may not be as big of an issue as it seems at first glance. Since those three are able to be toggled, there is actually a 'base' that accessories could be added to. While that 'base' (saddle, bridle, other tack, color, etc) might not be easily changed, being able to add to it could be within the scope of the current platform with minimal changes..."could" being the key word here.

Of course, the current system could also be operating on a brute force plan where they have an actual model for each possible combination of tack. In which case, adding new options would be more intensive, but still not impossible.
    Edited by Grynnyl on January 31, 2019 5:45PM
    ...For Within the Circle of His Sword, There Is Each Man a King...