The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Nightblade Physical Penetration dps

Fingolfinn01
Fingolfinn01
✭✭✭✭
My CP is 540

I am running with the spriggan set and hunding rage set and my total physical penetration is 5437?? is that too much ?

I noticed alcast is recommending briarheart set now instead of spriggian that would mean a reduction in physical penetration of 3370.

So is my physical penetration too high??
PC-NA
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This totally depends.
    Alcasts builds are for raiding, meaning doing trials with a coordinated group. In such a group, there are many sources of penetration outside of your own build. For example the tank applies major fracture by using his main taunt ability, which reduces the enemies physical resistance by 5280. Healers may apply power of the light, which provides minor fracture again reducing the enemies resistance. Additionally tanks run crusher enchants on their weapons, further reducing the enemies resistance. In those trials enemies have up to around 18k resistances and the goal of every group is to reduce it by debuffs so far, that with little investment the damage dealers reach full penetration of the enemies.

I recommend looking at his guide again and look for his penetration value, which you could use as an optimal baseline for your penetration, if you raid with an optimal group providing all those debuffs. If you do not raid with such a group, then your setup might not be bad at all, since in that case your group doesnt lower the enemies resistance that far for you to overpenetrate.

This all also depends on the content you are running. In dungeons for example spriggans will be very strong, since in such a small group it is unlikely, that enemies get debuffed as much as in an optimal raid group.
    If you do solo content like questing, then you probably do not need penetration at all, since the very basic enemy npcs you find everywhere on the map do not have resistances. If you are going for maehlstrom, you maybe should look for a guilde again, but also there spriggans will be very powerful, because you have no group with you applying debuffs.
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spriggan, Twice Fanged Serpent, running Lover Mundus with all Divines, etc are all viable means to reach a respectable penetration level.

As the above poster said however, it depends on the content you are doing. Anything outside of organized trials, I recommend bringing with you at least the Penetration that Spriggan provides.

Since you are a Nightblade you also have Surprise Attack which provides major fracture. Combined with Spriggans in a Vet Dungeon group, you have just the right amount to max your damage without risking over penetration and will perform much better.

Don’t give up your penetration unless you are running only In optimized groups.
  • Protoavis73
    Protoavis73
    ✭✭✭
    You could up the penetration with 1487 with one Kra'gh item.
    I'm (CP430) running 5x Hundings and 5x Spriggans as well, with a Kra'gh helmet and 20 points in Piercing and I'm at 10489 total physical penetration.
    And I'm wondering if that would be too much actually.
    When using Velidreth instead of Kra'gh I'm around 9000.
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are running a Spriggan set on a Nightblade with access to major fracture (surprise attack) (Particularly if you have some CP in Pen) then I think you would benefit more from the weapon damage/proc from Veledrith.

I actually finished my first Maelstrom in Hundings/Spriggan/Veledrith. Much easier now in Spriggan/VO/Veledrith however.