The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why does this game even need CCs?

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
Why? Why is it necessary to have this function that completely immobilizes the opponent?

And why isn't there a cool down on how frequently (lets say DKs) can spam this crap?

This isn't rewarding the best fighter.
  • TrinityBreaker
    TrinityBreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inb4nerfdk
    Ebonheart for life.
    Xbox NA
    I am Dog Star.

Khajiit Stam Sorc - Ji'saad Ranajiradh AR 30
    Khajiit Mag DK - Kesjhad
    Khajiit Magblade - Ji'sava Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamplar - Dro'haniAk'nir - AR 36
    Khajiit Stam Dk - Diego Ri'jhad - AR 49
    Khajiit Magplar - Dro'nara Ak'nir
    Khajiit StamBlade - Ri'artharr Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamden - Dro'hani Warbreaker
    Argonian Stam DK - Tiberius Demetros
    Khajiit Stamplar - Diëgo Ri'jhad
    Fat Khajiit Stam DK - Drö'hani Ak'nir/Dances-With-Alkosh
    Khajiit Magden - Arctic Mayhem

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can talk about any skill that is a hard CC. Why is it needed?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And why isn't there a cool down on how frequently (lets say DKs) can spam this crap?

There is one.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it two seconds?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CC immunity is 7 seconds. Some CCs, like Draining Shot and Reach, can be "spammed" but can't CC you when you have immunity. Other CCs like Fossilize and Eclipse can't be cast on you at all if you have CC immunity.

Roots and snares are separate categories.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why do we need CCs?
  • Slack
    Slack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell Yea, *** CCs, *** Skills, *** Sets.
    Make left Mouse button-spam the only way to actively engage in combat.

Ps.: I just saw your AD banana profile Pic, now this thread makes perfect sense :trollface:
    Edited by Slack on January 29, 2019 4:13AM
    PC EU
    Betty Breeze - Magwarden
    Hunts S'hitblades - Stamplar
    Aschavi - Magplar
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because people need to die and most of the time in PvP, unless you cc someone, they will not die.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So why do we need CCs?

Crowd control is necessary for healthy PvP. Players are not like PvE mobs and bosses that get parsed and slowly wither way. No, they put up a fight and will use every tool and mechanic available to prevent death. This is where CC comes in, allowing players to pressure resources and line up burst combos to secure kills. Without the use of CCs to set up the play, kills against good players would be difficult if not impossible to acquire.

Crowd control, and the layers of play/counterplay and resource management the mechanic enables is essential to dynamic and skillful gameplay.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC are something that have always been part of the RPG genre including previous Elder Scrolls and its just like asking : why do we need buffs and debuffs? CC provides just like buffs and debuffs either an upper hand or a chance to avoid getting killed. I’ve used CC skills in both scenarios.
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can talk about any skill that is a hard CC. Why is it needed?

to break zergs???
    it is no fun when 24 ppl hunt you alone, but with hard CC it becomes bearable^^
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why do we need CCs?

We need CC for counter play. Without CC you wont kill anybody.

There is a cooldown wich is called CC Immunity and its 6 seconds after you broke free or the CC runs out. There is also a skill wich grants you CC immunity, its under the heavy armor skill line or an immo pot.

Every MMO has stuns, immobilize and fears. Its part of the combat. Get used to it and learn how to counter it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. We do not have cooldowns on skill which the devs have stated the game is about managing resources instead of having cooldowns on skills.

2. We all have means to free ourselves from CCs with break free and roll dodge depending on what OP is specifically speaking to.

Now, on the flip side Zos is finally trying to get a handle on combat in this game which hopefully will smooth out the heavy handed changes to the game we get regularly. They are working to codify what they want combat to look like going forward so what OP brings up could end up getting adjusted.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I was mentionning not so long ago that this game is extremely lackluster in terms of Crowd Control.

Old timers like me remember games where Crowd Control meant AoE skills that would snare / stun / knock back / knock down / knock in the air full groups of enemies for several seconds, without any timer to protect against the effects. Meaning that, with sufficient energy sustain, you could keep them controlled forever.

"Controller" was even a full class in many games, or just a subgenre of the also-inexistant-in-ESO Support role (and by support I mean anything that helps the party directly or indirectly and isn't healing).

Kids those days don't know how easy they have it, with protection from control and those measly "stun one target for 2 seconds" thingamagie they call "crowd control".

2sao0c.jpg
    Edited by Uryel on January 29, 2019 9:30AM
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You might want to do some research before complaining about something that is not even true. ;)

CC allows offensive as well as defensive play. It is used to set up burst and to counter burst. Countering CC is also a important part of creating builds. Good use of CC requires tactical understanding and bad usage is punished. So it actually is rewarding the best fighter.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -puts on tin foil hat-

It's to hide the lag. My character stopped moving, buttons do nothing, now I'm dead. Time stop or lag?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    You might want to do some research before complaining about something that is not even true. ;)

CC allows offensive as well as defensive play. It is used to set up burst and to counter burst. Countering CC is also a important part of creating builds. Good use of CC requires tactical understanding and bad usage is punished. So it actually is rewarding the best fighter.

I asked a question. Your snark is not desired or needed.
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, they answered the question that you posted, and offered you a suggestion.

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There doesn't need to be a cooldown on how often CCs can be cast, because there IS a cooldown on how often the CC can effect you.

This isn't rewarding the best fighter.

Yes, it is. Resource management, burst timing, and movement are all big parts of ESO PvP, and are all made much more interesting with the existence of hard and soft CC.
    Edited by DeadlyRecluse on January 29, 2019 4:34PM
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gnozo wrote: »
    So why do we need CCs?

There is a cooldown wich is called CC Immunity and its 6 seconds after you broke free or the CC runs out. There is also a skill wich grants you CC immunity, its under the heavy armor skill line or an immo pot.

Every MMO has stuns, immobilize and fears. Its part of the combat. Get used to it and learn how to counter it.

Unless it was changed recently you do not get CC immunity if the CC expires on it's own.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there where no CC, what would you do? Hu?
    enjoy the game? What makes you think you have the right to enjoy this game?!

Seriously though, between 10 second buffs and spammable CC, this game's combat system is fundamentally designed for sperglords. There's a reason why other games put things like Walls/Stuns/Heals etc on cooldown timers. Probably another consequence of having only 12 slots.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC rocks, it makes the game fun without it would be a spam fest of buttons instead of tinking your fight strategy trough and play smart. I love the CC's
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoppaBoem wrote: »
    CC rocks, it makes the game fun without it would be a spam fest of buttons instead of tinking your fight strategy trough and play smart. I love the CC's

- Someone who's probably in low MMR everyone o//
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    So why do we need CCs?

Unless it was changed recently you do not get CC immunity if the CC expires on it's own.

So if you don't manage to break free but you survive the onslaught, CC can just be reapplied. Am I correct? Because this is what seems to be happening.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So why do we need CCs?

So if you don't manage to break free but you survive the onslaught, CC can just be reapplied. Am I correct? Because this is what seems to be happening.

If I remember correctly, yes. You can tell if you've been granted CC immunity by the swirling lines around your feet.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why do we need CCs?

If I remember correctly, yes. You can tell if you've been granted CC immunity by the swirling lines around your feet.

It gives you immunity when it runs out.

A really really long time ago, the immunity granted on CC expiring was just like 2 or 3 seconds but this got changed and the immunity granted is 6 seconds on break free and expire.
  • Enzym3
    Enzym3
    ✭✭
    As someone who only plays this game for the pvp, i do hate CC but let's be honest, most good players struggle to finish someone off who knows how to pvp, I have only 1 build that does not rely on CC and it is absolutely min/maxed to hell and still struggles to finish off good players with high sustain.

Good example, my stam warden could literally sit on his back bar spamming shimmering shield and popping burst heal from time to time and never die, but if i am CC'd (not immobilised) then i cannot cast that stuff and if i dont get out of it quick enough i am toast.

CC i hate and CC we need.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Mh, ok.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mh, ok.

Hmm?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WNxSiv wrote: »
    As someone who only plays this game for the pvp, i do hate CC but let's be honest, most good players struggle to finish someone off who knows how to pvp, I have only 1 build that does not rely on CC and it is absolutely min/maxed to hell and still struggles to finish off good players with high sustain.

Good example, my stam warden could literally sit on his back bar spamming shimmering shield and popping burst heal from time to time and never die, but if i am CC'd (not immobilised) then i cannot cast that stuff and if i dont get out of it quick enough i am toast.

CC i hate and CC we need.

The game has turned into "who can CC first and most frequently". There should be a penalty for overuse of CC. Like, a CC actually backfires and the attacker stuns
    their self. If they can't kill me after three CCs then they deserve to eat my Radiant Oppression. They shouldn't be allowed to spam it until someone shows up to help them or they just finally manage to kill me.