Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Starting Zones and Story Progression

dreamer05
dreamer05
Hello! I've played ESO on and off a bit from the beginning. Just about to finish up Skyrim for the first time, so I'm in the mood to jump back. And I know there have been dozens of other posts about starting zones, so I apologize. But I remember starting in my city seemingly based on race? Or maybe faction? Basically I know now that you start in the newest expansion, i.e. I started my new character and she was in Summerset. Is it ok to start like the leveling and story wise, or does it not make sense to start that way? Should I find my way back to my alliance's starting zone? Also, I read that they pretty much did away with alliances, so what does that mean for questing? I play healers so I do a lot of queues, but I'd like to get involved in the story like I have in Skyrim.

Please let me know what order you all think is the best way to progress through the story. I'm an altoholic so I remember doing the old man in the cave questline quite a few times, but I think it's been long enough that if that's the direction I need to go then I will. Also, I will be playing Dark Elf if that makes any difference. There's a lot of new content out so any other guidance would be great.

Thank you!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Factions are still a thing as far as progressing through the game. Basically you are right in that you have to start in the newest silly chapter and that makes vastly inferior sense (to me) compared to starting in the basic tutorial in Coldharbour and progressing through your alliance's questline. So I hold my nose for the newest silly chapter tutorial until I finish it. Then I immediately try to forget it and go to a zone in my alliance. There a hooded figure will approach you. If you do what he says you will end up in the real, proper, original tutorial and the game progresses as it should into your alliance's starting zone.

I prefer doing my alliance's questline first. To me, that makes the various DLC and Chapters make a lot more sense.

It has been suggested (strongly) several times that players should have the option of starting in their proper alliance zone with the original tutorial. I agree.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • dreamer05
    dreamer05
    I’m sure I believe there’s a way to get back to the faction starting zones as a new character? When it starts you at a new expansion do you go just through the beginning part or the whole expansion?
  • fioskal
    fioskal
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to do the story in the manner it was originally released, just use the wayshrine you spawn next to to port to your faction's starting city (Vulkhel Guard, Davon's Watch, or Daggerfall) and talk to the person that spawns next to the wayshrine (quest will be automatically started).

I personally prefer to do the story in order of release as it makes the most sense to me. But each zone in and of itself has pretty cool stories and you can hop around as you'd like.
    -Fiona-
    PC - NA
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Talk to the "hooded figure" in your factions starting city. This will start the main quest and take you to the wailing prison.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • dreamer05
    dreamer05
    fioskal wrote: »
    If you want to do the story in the manner it was originally released, just use the wayshrine you spawn next to to port to your faction's starting city (Vulkhel Guard, Davon's Watch, or Daggerfall) and talk to the person that spawns next to the wayshrine (quest will be automatically started).

I personally prefer to do the story in order of release as it makes the most sense to me. But each zone in and of itself has pretty cool stories and you can hop around as you'd like.

Is that port free? I remember not being super impressed with the main story, but that was before I had played Skyrim.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dreamer05 wrote: »
    fioskal wrote: »

Is that port free? I remember not being super impressed with the main story, but that was before I had played Skyrim.

Travel from wayshrine to wayshrine, its free.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Aurayna
    Aurayna
    ✭✭✭
    Once you have talked to the hooded figure and gone through the process of the walled prison etc you usually end up on a boat which sits at your faction starting area.

From there you can starts questing but pretty much after you have completed the first quest given you, your presence is required at the Harborage to continue the main quest.

From there it is pretty much up to you how you want to continue the game as there is a lot to do !

Enjoy !
    PC - EU
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New toons port out to starter zone of original questline. I.e. If Ebonheart Pact port to davons watch. And do original questline makes most sense then go to DLCs after.

It feels disjointed otherwise id say.

They should offer a choice on start place
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah I created a Redguard and was very disappointed that the game started me in Summerset instead of in the Daggerfall Covenant.

On my main, an Altmer, once I realized that there was a way to do the story in order, I decided not to play any new content until I went through all the old. It's too late for Clockwork City. I will probably do all of Ebonhard, then Daggerfall, and then Morrowind, and then Murkmire. By that time, Elswyr will be released. XD
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It actually doesn't matter which of the three cities you port to. The hooded figure will direct you to the spot where you can start the Coldharbor quest.

After the Coldharbor quest, you will automatically be deposited in the starter area for your character's faction.

I like to do the main quest, the fighter's guild and the mages guild very early as the rewards are not very good. The faction quests (after the small starter zones) award set pieces and some of them can be valuable at CP160.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my thoughts on quest order, as per the original chronology: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide

General gist:

There's 2 story arcs right now. The Planemeld encompasses the Main Quest and the three factions. The Daedric Wars is Morrowind ->Clockwork City -> Summerset.
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 29, 2019 11:38PM