Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Change Amplitude Name please

Illuvatarr
Illuvatarr
✭✭✭✭✭
Not sure if amplitude is the correct name for the ability. I understand what they are getting at and the metaphor but really it is just the measure of a waves size at any given point in time. If they were to take the derivative of the wave function they would have a spatial probability or a probability function. That would be the function describing the change in amplitude. It is the same logic applied to second derivatives when measuring velocity (acceleration is the change while velocity is the state at any point in time).
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My brain... :s
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amplitude is a measure of the size of a wave at any given point in time. A line drawn through any point on that wave is called a tangency line. The equation for that line shows the rate of change for the wave at that one point in time. Since the wave moves that tangency only work to show a rate of change at only that one point in time. To circumvent this problem you have to guesstimate the rate of change and the way to do so is through a probability. Since the new sorcerer ability is discrete (meaning it only has a limited number of outcomes (10)) to refer to the ability that tracks it as amplitude is a misnomer.
    Edited by Illuvatarr on January 22, 2019 5:37AM
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could call it probabilistic spell charge or something like this
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it amplitude because the power of the effect is amplified by how much health the enemy has? Not because of...all that ^.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Valykc wrote: »

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c46e03e626b6939633f2d28
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude stop reminding us how Star Trek failed so miserably. Cringe
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a similar conversation concerning fireball and what monsters it was going to hit in my 2nd Edition D&D campaign a few months back. A fireball spell can hit 33,000 cubic feet of area. In a dungeon that has 10x10x15 foot corridors the spell occupies a much larger surface area than just a 20 foot radius. The equation for a sphere is (4/3)piR^3.I won two Dr.Peppers, six pepperoni rolls and a pack of clove cigarettes after winning this argument against two other gamers who are rules monkey min maxer power gamers arguing with me about it. One of them cast the spell on an Ogre Magi and friends and it hit the front rank of the party. Our fighter/cleric dwarf was not pleased. Singed his beard.
    Edited by Illuvatarr on January 22, 2019 12:37PM
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »

aH5i56b.gif
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a PhD in mathematics, and my favorite subject was abstract algebra. Even so, I don't object to the game's use of such words as "field", "group" or "ring". I think we should accept a non-mathematical word-sense of "amplitude" as well. :)
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Field group and ring are common words used for other items. Amplitude is almost exclusively used to measure wave size.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats what you get when you allow sjws to influence movie industry.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we could call it "resonance", then ?

• Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resonance is bad ass. That takes the show I think. Hope they see and change.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

aH5i56b.gif

ST:D was all right for what it was but the Orville is a better Star trek show.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The judge has found 'Resonance' to be the thing, so let's do the thing.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.