The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Future physical lorebooks?

Wreckless_Riot
As a big fan of elder scrolls lore, my biggest issue with eso is making sense of the events in the game and how they make sense within the larger timeline of all the games.

Id love it if ZoS eventually came out with a book or a book collection similar to what blizzard did for world of warcraft. They released three books called chronicles that just locks down the canon stories of all expansions over the years.

We’ve gotten the tales of tamriel books already so i hope they will maybe just continue to release new volumes like that so that the biggest lore fans can get a definitive canon or at least a summary that fits this time period into the greater timeline.

The interregnum is known by the rest of history as a dark age where its thought that not many ppl were recording historical events in tamriel, but we see thats not really the case in eso so something would have to happen at the “end” of eso to cause history to be shrouded. Since eso is an mmo, its not just going to “end” (at least not for many many years to come) so the most common theory is that the events of eso take place within a dragonbreak. Maybe the next single player elder scrolls game will have clues as to why all these huge events in eso are lost to history in the other games.

Just sharing my thoughts and some speculations lol
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not how Dragonbreaks work. If a Dragonbreak takes place, multiple timelines become canon. ESO's timeline is canon to TESlore, even if it were a Dragonbreak, it would not matter.
  • Wreckless_Riot
    right, im not seeing how what i said conflicts with that at all. If a dragonbreak happens, multiple timeline possibilities that take place at the same time become true. We as players understand that concept but anyone who would be looking at the history of the in game world wouldnt understand why the accounts of all the events that took place within a dragon break differe so severly, giving us the in game historical confusion as to what happened during the interregnum.

Im not saying this is the canon answer since we dont know how zos will decide to explain why the tamriel we see in eso (which is clearly not in a dark age) gets shrouded in mystery in future games from an in game historical perspective. Im just saying a dragon break is one possible theory if they even decide to address it at all.

Any way they go about it id spend my money on more physical out of game lore books in a heartbeat lol
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    right, im not seeing how what i said conflicts with that at all. If a dragonbreak happens, multiple timeline possibilities that take place at the same time become true. We as players understand that concept but anyone who would be looking at the history of the in game world wouldnt understand why the accounts of all the events that took place within a dragon break differe so severly, giving us the in game historical confusion as to what happened during the interregnum.

Im not saying this is the canon answer since we dont know how zos will decide to explain why the tamriel we see in eso (which is clearly not in a dark age) gets shrouded in mystery in future games from an in game historical perspective. Im just saying a dragon break is one possible theory if they even decide to address it at all.

Any way they go about it id spend my money on more physical out of game lore books in a heartbeat lol

Only problem is that there aren't really conflicting outcomes. The Vestige never ends the Alliance War (as far as we know) for any of the Alliances. There aren't any means required to permit a Dragon Break to take place either, we lack the means.

It's a sensible theory to assume that, following the rise of Tiber Septim, most of the account about the Alliance War were destroyed as it painted Cyrodiil as a land of Daedra worshippers, and I can't imagine Septim's Colovian Legions being particularly happy about that.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly the last physical book that was part of Summerset Collector's Edition was not only smaller than previous books but also had inferior quality. I was quite dissapointed while reading it. Furthermore it consisted more of in game lore books than any orignal story.
    Huge dissapointment.