The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hi, new to PC ESO. A question on character planning.

CMDR_Un1k0rn
CMDR_Un1k0rn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hi. I'd ultimately like to be self-sufficient in crafting. At least as far as making sets is concerned. I've previously played on Xbox and I'm well aware of the grind involved with this goal.

My question is, would making a character specifically for crafting be a good idea? And just transfer items via bank to supply min/max dungeon toons'?

I was also thinking that this crafter could quite happily follow the main story lines from various expansions, as they don't need to be built for dungeons. Essentially, they are also my story character? I'm talking things like main quest, Morrowind, etc.

What are your thoughts? Many thanks.
In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A character that's built for crafting and overland questing is totally viable. Overland quests aren't that difficult.You'll want to focus on gathering skyshards and questing for skill points so you can fill those crafting passives quicker.

I have a main crafter who's got traits researched and motifs learned so she supplies my other characters.

If you want this character to also be your gatherer of materials, I suggest a stamina build and speed gear for running around gathering and maxing your inventory as soon as possible unless you subscribe to ESO+ for the Crafting Bag.
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 19, 2019 6:13PM
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I thought that would be the case. Has been a while since I last played on Xbox so thought it best to ask!

Cheers.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to PC! Well, you can make a Crafter only kind of character if you wish or just level Crafting on a character built for Tanking, DPS or Healing.

I have no Crafter specific character yet I have six Crafters that are maxed and can craft in everything including Jewelry Crafting. I leveled Crafting on these characters as they leveled for their intended role of Tank, Healer or DPS. Once they were done in all their research I respec'd their Skill points to regain the points used for research.

Some may find it difficult to get the Skill points needed during leveling but it worked well for me.

Good luck and welcome!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a (or more) dedicated crafter is absolutely viable.

However, if you are the sort of player that likes to collect achievements, be aware that they are character bound and not account wide.

If you are splitting responsibilities between several characters, the achievements hunt can become quite cumbersome ...
    dry.gif
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks again guys. I'll get right too it and make my first character as a crafter. Already started researching traits as I find them.

I'm definitely in this for the long run. I'm loving the PC experience!
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just something you may want to consider:

If you plan to make a dedicated crafter and you can create an Imperial, I would recommend doing so, because each character starts with their racial motif already learnt as default. All the other racial motifs are quite common and inexpensive blue drops, however, the Imperial motif is a rare golden item, costing tens of thousands of gold.
    Edited by Watchdog on January 20, 2019 3:19PM
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah, noted. Cheers.