The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mailed Plating and my Husband Received Grains as a Result!

TheGreatPumpkin
I just encountered an unusual (and frustrating) bug: I bought 8 zircon platings for my husband (I had one of my own in stock), so that he could improve a jewelry set to purple. I spent over $200,000 on them, mailed them to my husband's character, and when he opened it, it showed the attachment as GRAINS. This includes the one plating I had of my own, so nine grains in total. I did not have ANY grains in my inventory, so I know 100% that I didn't accidentally attach those (plus, if I had sent grains by accident, I would've seen the platings in my inventory, of which I do not). It literally converted the plating to grains when sent. Now we're out 9 platings.

I took some screenshots of the purchases I made throughout traders, showing it was indeed plating I had purchased (30K a pop). I tried all the Help options in the game, but they're a disaster to use or get one's information/issue and point across, including the lack of screenshot usage to provide evidence and clarity of the issue (I tried the screenshot button on one of the Help options, but it did nothing). I can accept the loss of the platings, but please address this issue. Jewelry crafting and improvement is bad enough as it is... :s
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Wrobel
    I just encountered an unusual (and frustrating) bug: I bought 8 zircon platings for my husband (I had one of my own in stock), so that he could improve a jewelry set to purple. I spent over $200,000 on them, mailed them to my husband's character, and when he opened it, it showed the attachment as GRAINS. This includes the one plating I had of my own, so nine grains in total. ....

I took some screenshots of the purchases I made throughout traders, showing it was indeed plating I had purchased (30K a pop). I tried all the Help options in the game, but they're a disaster to use or get one's information/issue and point across, including the lack of screenshot usage to provide evidence and clarity of the issue (I tried the screenshot button on one of the Help options, but it did nothing). I can accept the loss of the platings, but please address this issue. Jewelry crafting and improvement is bad enough as it is... :s
    Yikes! Since 10 Zircon grains must be combined to make 1 plating, that is a huge loss indeed!!

Aside from that, one thing which is truly fundamentally wrong with Jewelry Crafting is that the extraction rate for quality materials while refining ore grains is much too low. In my experience, Zircon grains have a "drop rate" of less than 1%. When I refine 300 Platinum grains, I never obtain more than 2 Zircon grains, if that many.

When I refined 6000 Platinum grains, I received 37 Zircon grains, a "drop rate" of 0.0062. If the drop rate were at least 1% -- which is far too rare!! -- then I should have received about 60 instead. That isn't just "bad luck" from the Pseudorandom Number Generator (PNG). That is either a badly designed loot table or a flaw in accessing it, an incompetent implementation of the PNG, or some combination of those three.

ZOS has got it wrong again. And again. And again. And again. In my humble opinion, the ZOS developers should just quit introducing new features into the game. They are not given the time to make the effort, or have the budget, to test the software before release, let alone to rectify their design flaws and implementation errors afterward. Bugware is bad enough, poor design just turns it into a bad joke that ain't funny.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Wrobel
    I just encountered an unusual (and frustrating) bug: I bought 8 zircon platings for my husband (I had one of my own in stock), so that he could improve a jewelry set to purple. I spent over $200,000 on them, mailed them to my husband's character, and when he opened it, it showed the attachment as GRAINS. This includes the one plating I had of my own, so nine grains in total. ....

Yikes! Since 10 Zircon grains must be combined to make 1 plating, that is a huge loss indeed!!

Aside from that, one thing which is truly fundamentally wrong with Jewelry Crafting is that the extraction rate for quality materials while refining ore grains is much too low. In my experience, Zircon grains have a "drop rate" of less than 1%. When I refine 300 Platinum grains, I never obtain more than 2 Zircon grains, if that many.

When I refined 6000 Platinum grains, I received 37 Zircon grains, a "drop rate" of 0.0062. If the drop rate were at least 1% -- which is far too rare!! -- then I should have received about 60 instead. That isn't just "bad luck" from the Pseudorandom Number Generator (PNG). That is either a badly designed loot table or a flaw in accessing it, an incompetent implementation of the PNG, or some combination of those three.

ZOS has got it wrong again. And again. And again. And again. In my humble opinion, the ZOS developers should just quit introducing new features into the game. They are not given the time to make the effort, or have the budget, to test the software before release, let alone to rectify their design flaws and implementation errors afterward. Bugware is bad enough, poor design just turns it into a bad joke that ain't funny.

Why are you tagging Wrobel in this? Not only did he leave, he was the combat lead designer. Not sure he would have had much to do with crafting.
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear hope they fixed if it's really was bug.
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.