The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does anybody else play at a slow pace?

SgtSilock
SgtSilock
✭✭✭✭
I am leveling my second character, this time paying attention to the story and lore. It's nice that I don't feel rushed playing this, as it is one of the best solo friendly mmo's on the market in my opinion. I am now going through, letting the actors finish their text, choosing the additional options to learn more and just genuinely playing a more slower pace than normal.

While doing this, it simply amazes me how much detail there is in the world, and just how many hours of voice over they have put into every single npc, it's really impressive.
  • CrazYDunm3r
    CrazYDunm3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is even better if you go first person and get an add-on that gives you minimal UI, but yeah, some area's really give me a good time.
    YouTube
    Triggered Tryhards
  • RavenEye
    RavenEye
    ✭✭
    I've always played slow paced, I like to get immersed in the story and actually make it mean something for my character. I can then make decisions based on the type of character I'm playing, seeing the events through their eyes.
    Right now I'm repeating content I haven't done in awhile and I follow the same thing. It's just way more enjoyable and fullfiling for me.
    I laugh, smile, feel sad, torn... it's amazing :)
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    Playing slow means wasting time, you get older in real life and ended up dead if you play too slow.
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its the only way I know how to play. I tried to speed up, but it just wasn't fun
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me a year to get my first character to L50. And this was playing 2 to 5 hours each day.

Edited by Nestor on January 17, 2019 8:33PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. I always listen to the voice actors for every quest and read along with them. I love taking my time at my own pace which is why I am solo 99% of the time in this game.
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First time through quests, absolutely.

I set myself offline (GM=lotsa whispers), set my chat to an NPC-only tab, turn on the in-game music, all that jazz, really dive in.

I joined from the TES side of the house, not the MMO, so it's still super important to my enjoyment of this game.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I quested back in the time I was leveling my main char, I used to play slow too, listening to every dialog and exploring the areas in full before moving on... it took me ~9 months to get my main through Cadwell's silver and gold zones after reaching L50, with full completion... no black icons etc. and ~a year to reach VR cap back when it was VR12, I think.

I miss that a bit... now that I tasted end-game, it's very difficult to slow down and play the game back as it was at the start.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leeux wrote: »
    with full completion... no black icons etc.

... And then they added houses.

*eyetwitch*
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SgtSilock wrote: »
    I am leveling my second character, this time paying attention to the story and lore. It's nice that I don't feel rushed playing this, as it is one of the best solo friendly mmo's on the market in my opinion. I am now going through, letting the actors finish their text, choosing the additional options to learn more and just genuinely playing a more slower pace than normal.

While doing this, it simply amazes me how much detail there is in the world, and just how many hours of voice over they have put into every single npc, it's really impressive.

Oh yes definetely. I wouldn't do it with every character, but you are absolutely right: It's amazing if you do it with one character.

If you dig into these stories you'll find a lot to laugh, to cry, to be angry at, etc. It's so different and a big mix. And the characters actually move their lips while talking, so it feels very real.

If you play in a slow way, you have even more fun as well with exploring, reading the books in the world, discover treasures. It's really fun, I can highly recommend that.
    Edited by Chufu on January 17, 2019 9:22PM
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Far more fun to let the game come to you rather than chasing a level.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reoskit wrote: »
    leeux wrote: »
    with full completion... no black icons etc.

... And then they added houses.

*eyetwitch*

LOL... yeah... I get you, it must be a killer for OCD... I stopped paying attention to that a long time ago, but yeah that was a different time... no need for a wallet to make all icons white :|

And now that you mentioned that, I realize that I lied in my original post... as in fact, I remember I left some icons black on purpose, in some zones where the quests I needed to do to complete them where "questionable" in some way for the character I was playing.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...at a medium pace. If things start going too fast I just quit and play something else.
  • EphemeraCrawford
    EphemeraCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play very slowly, and try to play in zones appropriate to my character, like Nords in the Rift and Eastmarch, Khajiit in Reaper's etc. Everything takes longer, but my goal is not to 'finish' the game, but to make it last. :wink: There won't be another MMO like this one for a long time, and I don't want to use it up. :)

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oberstein wrote: »
    Playing slow means wasting time, you get older in real life and ended up dead if you play too slow.

Indeed, as I'm acutely aware at my age - but on the other hand, you get to enjoy every moment and never get burnt out or bored. So what if I don't "finish" a game? What do those who finish their games before they've even ended Early Access get to do with the rest of their lives?

So no, OP, you're not alone!
    Edited by Tandor on January 17, 2019 9:31PM
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always make time to catch flutterbyes and never explore without my camera.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    its the only way I know how to play. I tried to speed up, but it just wasn't fun

That's me. I have tried to "play" the game as people said we should and I found it no fun at all. So now I play at my own pace and actually enjoying ESO now. Instead of trying to "game" it, I am "playing" it and really see what ESO is all about.

It's better to play ESO than to game it. At least for me.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really move slowly through content. I actually have one girl at CP 20 I think after playing since late June last year - and the only reason that even happened was the New Life quests, which I had a LOT of fun with.

Seriously.... I'm in no hurry to get anywhere....
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SgtSilock wrote: »

Yup, this is how I always play unless doing something with guild folk. When you develop a persona for your character going through the stories, each time feels different. The worldbuilding is top notch, and what keeps me in the game. =)
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Absolutely, when it comes to dialog and quest-related notes and lorebooks, as well as taking time to wander around.

Delves I try to speed through with an XP boost when enlightenment wears off. When I'm boosted, it's another story. Then I speed up killing and mapping and skip questing altogether. Max mode would totally ruin real questing for me. TBH,I find delves tedious, so speed makes them bearable.

Can't wait to hit max CP and get speeding over with forever-- aside from delves :p
    Edited by jainiadral on January 18, 2019 3:11AM
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play pretty s l o w.
    I have one level 50 character, and it took four months to get her there.
    I have nine alts; eight of which are level 20-26, and one level 3 that I just created tonight.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »
    I play pretty s l o w.
    I have one level 50 character, and it took four months to get her there.
    I have nine alts; eight of which are level 20-26, and one level 3 that I just created tonight.

Yeah... I'm an altoholic.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NO ...

Kill kill kill at all ...
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've make 1 month of fast grind when I've start to find what I'll enjoy to play.
    Now I'm building my char, doing some guild leveling to fit my RP.
    When that is going to be done, I'm gonna start to do all the quest and enjoy the story !
    Edited by Aznarb on January 18, 2019 4:06AM
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play three toons slow. One always tries to take the high road on choices, the second is good unless it serves him to do bad, and the last plays the dark side. This way I get to see the outcome of the various choices through out the game.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to play slowly.

Over three years in game and I've yet to finish Cadwell's Silver. I never skip conversations even if I've run the Thieves Guild intro quest seven times now. The only speech I skip is when I need to because people don't wait for dungeon quests, and dailies that I've done dozens of times.

Right now my main is questing through Stormhaven, in walk mode. It's such a nice change of pace, from running everywhere to just watching the birds land and fly away through the trees as I get close.

It's a game. Enjoy it for a change instead of running everywhere like each task is a chore to be dealt with as fast as possible.
  • Gaeliator
    Gaeliator
    ✭✭
    I love this slow pace in ESO, too. But just want to say it's personal preference, slow or not.
    1) I pve and pvp equally cuz I love the game itself.
    2) As far as I know, some hardcore players (like those who are super rich or play as top pvpers in the game) is not the majority in ESO. (no offense btw) They invest the time and energy, so they earn that. And some casual players like wandering around on Nirn, enjoying the view, story and RP. That's also quite interesting.
    3) There are many ways to enjoy yourself in eso. I hate to say this but every MMORPG has its own lifespan. Just want to enjoy eso since it's not too late.
  • General_Zeranth
    General_Zeranth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recently finished the base vanilla game with a male Altmer Magsorc. Now I'm redoing it on a female Redguard Stamsorc just to see how it differs.
    I like playing the storyline and find it fun and relaxing so I'm right there with you on the slow pace. However I don't think I'll ever do it with all 15 of my characters just because that would be very time consuming if you consider the base then all the current DLC's minus dungeon packs and PvP stuff.

And to the person above saying life passes you by and you die if you take it slow... I'd rather live my life at my pace and remember it all as clearly as I can at the end than look back and realize everything was nothing but a blur with no recognizable details. :3
    Xbox - NA

Self confessed Master Angler title chaser.

Titles Earned: 10/∞