The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Racial Max Magicka Change

WrathOfInnos
WrathOfInnos
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I want to discuss the change to the Altmer and Breton passive from 10% Max Magicka to 2000 Max Magicka. I’ve been hearing many people claiming this is a nerf, but looking at the numbers I believe it can be a buff in some cases. Overall it is such a small change it should not have any noticeable effect.

Using my Altmer magblade as an example, I currently have 42.6k Max Magicka (with BSW and MS, 3 Infused Armor, passives and Warhorn). The removal of the 10% buff bring my Max Mag multiplier from 1.41 down to 1.31, which works out to a 3020 Magicka loss. Notice this number is significantly smaller than just taking 0.1 X 42.6k.

Now the new passive adds 2000 Max Magicka. I’m theorizing that this fits into the calculation at the same point as assigned attributes and gear bonuses. It therefore gets a 20% bonus from CP, and the 1.31 multiplier I mentioned previously. This brings the new passive up to 3144 Max Magicka.

So my net gain from the change is 3144 - 3020 = 124 more Magicka. This results in a very slight (0.1 to 0.2%) DPS gain. In reality it will not have any noticeable effect.

Now to be fair, we can look at the other side of this change, a worse case would be a Magplar (no class Magicka multiplier) with a high mag pool (assuming Perfected Siroria set and 3X Arcane jewelry). Here the loss of the 10% racial passive decreases Max Magicka from 46.1k to 42.6k or a 3.5k loss. The new racial passive adds back 2000 x 1.2 x 1.23 = 3k. So for this build we lost 500 Max Magicka, which translates to roughly a 0.5% DPS loss.

The only cases where this loss becomes more severe are if you are not utilizing Undaunted passives, are not receiving the Warhorn buff, or do not have Inner Light and the associated Mage’s guild passives. At most, I see the Magicka reduction capping out around 1% DPS loss. And the change of the other Altmer and Breton passives more than makes up for this.

Edit: Apparently the new racial bonuses do not get the 20% CP bonus. This means that we’re looking at about 500 less Max Magicka than I previously calculated on Altmer and Breton. This works out to roughly 0.5% DPS lower than expected on end game builds.
Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 22, 2019 4:04PM
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bump
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Excellent explanation!
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did the math and now I'm not as worried. Thankyou!

((Although Dunmer will be immune to all my flame status effects as I'm a mDK.))
    Edited by Vevvev on January 17, 2019 8:51PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what I get from this is Magblade got buffed more? :trollface:
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's a good point! Thanks for the calculation.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Finally a post that makes sense of this. You know, if ZOS had put something like this in the developers comments it would save them so much grief!
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

It has always been this way
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And if you enchant one of your jewelry with flame resistance, any race can be immue to the burning status effect. Same with the rest of the status effects.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And if you enchant one of your jewelry with flame resistance, any race can be immue to the burning status effect. Same with the rest of the status effects.

but that was changed after Morrowind?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

but that was changed after Morrowind?

No, it has always been a feature of the resist jewelry glyphs but most people don't know about it