The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does the free Race Change token include a Name Change?

VaranisArano
VaranisArano
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not certain I'll be using that free Race Change token, but if I do, my characters are going to need a Name Change to go along with it.

I strongly suggest that the Devs consider making it a free Race&Name Change token instead.

ESO is an MMORPG. Racial choice inpacts both end game and role-playing. Name choice has a big impact on role-playing.

For example, my stam sorc Dark Brotherhood assassin is Maria Montclair, obviously a Breton given her family name. If I make her a Redguard to take advantage of better stam passives, she's going to need a new name to go with her new race.

Pretty much all of my characters are in this boat, since I tend to make characters with backstories in mind, like "Dunmer MagDK is a Redoran Captain who gets captured by the Worm Cult in Cyrodiil, sacrificed to Molag Bal, loses her memories, and becomes the Vestige." That's my main, "Varanis Arano" who's name comes from the Varanis Dolmen in Stonefalls and the dunmer Arano family on Solstheim in the Dragonborn DLC. Again, I can't hypothetically change her race without her name making no sense or needing to be changed.

I know plenty of people want more free race change tokens since 1 free one feels inadequate to amount of characters we have and the severity of the changes.

I would also like to ask ZOS to seriously consider making it a Race & Name Change token, since otherwise players who do change their race because of the racial updates will be left with unfitting names or forced to buy another Name change token.

(And yes, I'm aware that with my jade colored glasses on, there's an unfortunate argument to be made that giving a free Race Change token and not a Name Change token is in fact intended to cause players who care about this to spend more $$$. I'd rather ZOS didn't do this, but ZOS gonna do what ZOS gonna do.)

Anyone else in the same boat where if you change your character race you'll need a Name Change Token as well?
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Gilvoth on January 23, 2019 9:13AM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must confess that I don't begin to understand how any roleplayer who has created a character with a name related to its race and which are both reflected in a detailed backstory can contemplate changing the character's race.

While I don't see the need for a free name change in connection with the update I do believe it would be fair to allow unlimited free race changes for a short time only, rather than a single free race change token. It would meet a lot of players' needs and also kill instantly the nonsense about how ZOS are only making the race changes in order to raise money in the Crown Store.
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly it should be a race & name change per character; The changes don't necessarily affect my two DK characters who are a Redguard/Brenton but I can see this affecting a lot of other players who chose certain races for certain roles.

It'll be a real disservice if at the very least they didn't provide a free race and name change.
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would very much appreciate a name change since names and races are so strongly related in the lore.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I must confess that I don't begin to understand how any roleplayer who has created a character with a name related to its race and which are both reflected in a detailed backstory can contemplate changing the character's race.

While I don't see the need for a free name change in connection with the update I do believe it would be fair to allow unlimited free race changes for a short time only, rather than a single free race change token. It would meet a lot of players' needs and also kill instantly the nonsense about how ZOS are only making the race changes in order to raise money in the Crown Store.

For myself, it would be akin to recreating the character.

For example, let's say I was getting tired of Maria Montclair. She's fun, but I've done all the Dark Brotherhood stuff with her, the DC questline, the Daedric Wars arc, and nowadays she pretty much just farms Craglorn and sometimes murders people for looking at her funny. As a Breton Stam Sorc, she's far from optimal.

So lets say I want to "reroll" her as a Redguard Stam Sorc with a focus on dungeon DPS in light of the new racial changes.

Exit Maria Montclair, stage left.

Enter Suraya al-Elinhir.

Fleeing the destruction of her home city Elinhir during events in Craglorn, Suraya's magical training is rudimentary, but she finds her natural Redguard aptitude for weapons lead to easy work as a mercenary in Murkmire and as a member of the Undaunted. Then, news of adventure draws her to Elsweyr...

So its not like there's a complete split between the roleplayers and the end game min-max crowd. Adding a name change to the free race change token fills that need for everyone (or at least anyone who didnt name their character "djsie93bd" or "Bob").
  • ArgonianAustin
    ArgonianAustin
    ✭✭✭
    I dang hope a name change comes too. Or my new khajiit tank will still be called "the big bad blue orc"
    Just a Lizard Man that plays ESO with my twin brother khajiit_kyle
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For example, let's say I was getting tired of Maria Montclair. She's fun, but I've done all the Dark Brotherhood stuff with her, the DC questline, the Daedric Wars arc, and nowadays she pretty much just farms Craglorn and sometimes murders people for looking at her funny. As a Breton Stam Sorc, she's far from optimal.

So lets say I want to "reroll" her as a Redguard Stam Sorc with a focus on dungeon DPS in light of the new racial changes.

Enter Suraya al-Elinhir.

Fleeing the destruction of her home city Elinhir during events in Craglorn, Suraya's magical training is rudimentary, but she finds her natural Redguard aptitude for weapons lead to easy work as a mercenary in Murkmire and as a member of the Undaunted. Then, news of adventure draws her to Elsweyr...

So its not like there's a complete split between the roleplayers and the end game min-max crowd. Adding a name change to the free race change token fills that need for everyone (or at least anyone who didnt name their character "djsie93bd" or "Bob").

Drat, those are a couple of my necromancer names that will probably be taken now before I get them :smile: !
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're going to see Bretons and Redguards with names like Swims-In-Water. :/
    Sorry, but if they give a race change without a name change as well, that would be pretty dickish on their part. No one asked for these race changes.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's not just about roleplaying. If I create a Dunmer, I give him/her a Dunmer name. If ZOS changes the meta, causing me to race-change my min/max class, then I want an appropriate name. It would be stupid for a Redguard to run around with a Khajiit name (for example).
    Edited by The_Lex on January 17, 2019 6:38PM
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Enter Suraya al-Elinhir.

You're stronger than me if you could actually do this. I'd just retire Maria and roll Suraya as a new character. :)
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    We're going to see Bretons and Redguards with names like Swims-In-Water. :/
    Sorry, but if they give a race change without a name change as well, that would be pretty dickish on their part. No one asked for these race changes.
    The_Lex wrote: »

It's not just about roleplaying. If I create a Dunmer, I give him/her a Dunmer name. If ZOS changes the meta, causing me to race-change my min/max class, then I want an appropriate name. It would be stupid for a Redguard to run around with a Khajiit name (for example).

Both very good points. I'm persuaded!
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not included, but we should get name and race change for free for all chars. The whole thing is very underhanded considering these changes are coming within content we're already paying for each month and one time purchase content. (dlc's expansions and subs)

I hope. ZOS comes to their senses, because this will cause a much larger loss of player base than they think. Most people grumble but take nerfs. However, selling fixes to their balancing incompetence which effect raw output in the crown store is not something a lot of players will support. Many games have lost massive support to things like this. ZOS will be no different in that regard.
    Edited by Arrodisia on January 17, 2019 7:07PM
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whats the problem with my Breton healer "Voice-Of-The-Hist"? :D
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're not going to pour free name change tokens into the game because there's a small but significant amount of people who will take that opportunity to troll or harass before they're reported and forced into yet another name change.

It's always the *** who ruin it for everyone else.
    signing off
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    They're not going to pour free name change tokens into the game because there's a small but significant amount of people who will take that opportunity to troll or harass before they're reported and forced into yet another name change.

It's always the *** who ruin it for everyone else.

How truly unfortunate if this is the case.

People. We're why we cant have nice things.
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    No, don't be spoiled race change token is enough.
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.
  • StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's not enough. Don't defend greedy business practices.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope so. "Sir Toonces" works for my Khajiit stam DK. Not so much if I switch it to something else

giphy.gif
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oberstein wrote: »

Given that ESO is an MMORPG, and a major part of the RPG is naming your character based on your chosen race, I would argue that Name Change should be included with Race Change. Particularly since Elder Scrolls races often have distinctive naming patterns.

If I list off character names like "Nerevara Almalexia", "Alessia Martialis" or "Tulindarwe", you should have a pretty good guess as to which race those characters are.

If you dont care for the RPG aspect of Elder Scrolls, sure, a race change is sufficient for your min-maxing needs.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It doesn't. So if you change Lick-My-Bowls to a Breton, the name remains the same.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who uses lore-friendly names, I want name change along with race change.

And I want 1 per character. I'm not paying $400 to change race and name on my other 14 characters.

This really does feel like ZOS is discriminating against those of us with lots of characters and holding them ransom.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oberstein wrote: »

we should get name and race change for free for all chars. The whole thing is very underhanded considering these changes are coming within content we're already paying for each month, as well as one time purchase content. (dlc's expansions and subs) We didn't poorly balance the races. They did.

I hope. ZOS comes to their senses, because this will cause a much larger loss of player base than they think. Most people grumble but take class nerfs. However, selling fixes to their race balancing incompetence which do effect raw output in the crown store no less is not something a lot of players will support. Many games have lost massive support to things like this. ZOS is no exception.
    Edited by Arrodisia on January 17, 2019 8:01PM