The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Breton opinions on their new racials?

Sinolai
Sinolai
✭✭✭✭✭
What does other Breton players think about this?

Breton
Increases Experience gain in Light Armor Skill Line by 15%, extra 1% Alliance Point gain → No changes
Gift of Magnus: 10% Max Magicka → Increases your Max Magicka by 2000.
Spell Resistance: 3960 Spell Resistance → Gain 2310 Spell Resistance and 100 Magicka Recovery.
Magicka Mastery: 3% Magicka Cost Reduction → Reduces the Magicka cost of your abilities by 7%.

My opinion is what had been stated in the forums many times: Bretons are pretty good but Magicka Mastery needs a buff. They finally got it, but they also got a nerf to their spell resistance. What is new is they also got +100 magicka recovery, but sustain really hasn't been that big issue with Bretons and with +4% increase to cost reduction it wouldn't be issue in the new patch either. So what is the point of chaning the 2nd passive?
I think the original 3960 spell resistance (the same that nords get) would be more useful than 2310 spell resistance and 100 magicka recovery (also previously Bretons have been known as "magic walls" able to absorb hostile spells to gain magicka(Make them recover magicka by taking spell damage?)). The spell resistance also helps to mitigate spell damage both in PvP and PvE situation, especially when wearing light armor. The old passive can save your life from that final killing blow, while the new recovery is just extra sustain on the top of your already good sustain.

Overall I am happy and wont complain too much even if this went live as it is but I'd hope ZOS reverted the changes on 2nd passive.

EDIT:
One interesting idea that came to my mind would be changing the 2nd passive from:
Gain 2310 Spell Resistance and 100 Magicka Recovery.

to

Gain 3960 Spell Resisatnce. When you take Spell damage you restore 320 magicka. This effect can occur once every 3 seconds.

That way Breton can keep their old tankines and gain some extra sustain that ZOS intended to give them, as well as make them more akin with what they used to be in previous games, giving them their racial identity.
Edited by Sinolai on January 17, 2019 8:56PM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Already a post asking to be buffed over everyone's nerf? Wow.

• Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Already a post asking to be buffed over everyone's nerf? Wow.

Not buffed. Reverted back to original. Remove 100 sustain and add 1650 spell resistance.
    Dunmer is the one that cries to be buffed and I agree with that :P But this thread is not about dunmer.
    Edited by Sinolai on January 17, 2019 11:55AM
  • Vermethys
    Vermethys
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the Breton changes are nice; can't really say "no" to even better sustain. I play a Breton MagNB and a PetSorc -- the damage and sustain of the MagNB has always been great, 46k-47k solo DPS, and the loss of resistance for more sustain is a fair tradeoff imo. The PetSorc is a whole other story, with its mediocre DPS, and the last thing it needs is more sustain. Though I can probably play that one more comfortably as a MagSorc (no pets) thanks to the changes to sustain. If I may be greedy, I would love if they added 129 spell damage on top of the cost reduction -- it would make them compete better with High Elves as magicka DDs.
    PC EU CP1400+
    In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
    Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
    Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • Svenja
    Svenja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have them take back the 100 recovery and instead let the 3960 Resistance stay exactly as on live servers.
    The resistance was basically the only reason i thoroughly loved Breton on my healer.

But well.. First world problems I guess, the cost reduction is great.
    PC | EU

Svea Rochaud | Templar Healer | AD
    Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror - Immortal Redeemer - Tick-Tock-Tormentor - Gryphon Heart - Spirit Slayer
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton is going to be far, FAR, stronger on the whole.

You can more that recoup the lost resistances with 1x Protective on your jewelry, which will actually put you in an even better spot because you get phys res as well.

The extra 100 mag regen + 4% cost redux that the new passives are offering, on the other hand, means you can replace 1-2 jewelry regen glyphs with spell damage, or swap Atronach mundus with Apprentice.

The damage you'll gain from making these adjustment will faaaar outstrip the loss of 870 mag from slotting 1x Protective.

I have a Breton magDK that was always gimped due to his racial choice (which I made in ignorance as he was my very first toon on ESO), and am looking forward to the substantial amount of power he'll be gaining next update.
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »

You can more that recoup the lost resistances with 1x Protective on your jewelry, which will actually put you in an even better spot because you get phys res as well.

The extra 100 mag regen + 4% cost redux that the new passives are offering, on the other hand, means you can replace 1-2 jewelry regen glyphs with spell damage, or swap Atronach mundus with Apprentice.

The damage you'll gain from making these adjustment will faaaar outstrip the loss of 870 mag from slotting 1x Protective.

I have a Breton magDK that was always gimped due to his racial choice (which I made in ignorance as he was my very first toon on ESO), and am looking forward to the substantial amount of power he'll be gaining next update.

Most of the time I am already running 3x spell damage in jewellery and lover mundus as petless-sorc and don't really feel the need for extra recovery with witchmother's. Sometimes I slot 1 recovery jewel if healers can not provide enough resource return but these cases are rare. Though my friend just gave an interesting idea that if the regen gets high enough it might be possible to ditch witchmother's and use blue food instead. Should be tested on PTS wether the recovery is high enough.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton was always one of the weakest races, it is good it got a buff. Nevertheless, I still think Breton passives are kinda blend and doesn't shine nor they have a specific unique flavor. I'm with agreement they should remove the 100 regen which seems random and buff the spell resistance to 5280. This will make the race feel special and lore friendly( best race to absorb magicka, a "battle mage"). They can even reduce the magicka reduction to 6%. if necessary.
  • rafaelcsmaia
    rafaelcsmaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you compare it to altmer, it may allow you to run blue food and sustain just as fine, so in pve you'd have more health and more max magicka. Maybe even out the damage and get more health+resist? we gotta see
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah >..> I told them that for Breton like Spell Resistance since it's not bad. It's still there, but not as much and some new things to work with now.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »
    TheYKcid wrote: »

Most of the time I am already running 3x spell damage in jewellery and lover mundus as petless-sorc and don't really feel the need for extra recovery with witchmother's. Sometimes I slot 1 recovery jewel if healers can not provide enough resource return but these cases are rare. Though my friend just gave an interesting idea that if the regen gets high enough it might be possible to ditch witchmother's and use blue food instead. Should be tested on PTS wether the recovery is high enough.

Yep, that's what I was about to suggest—replacing Witchmother's with blue food. The extra health you gain from the swap means you can replace a couple of armor triglyphs (if you have any currently) with pure magicka ones, for even more main stat.

Ultimately, most stats are interchangeable. And once you swap around the relevant ones, Breton is going to perform much better than it did before!
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • rafaelcsmaia
    rafaelcsmaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Yeah >..> I told them that for Breton like Spell Resistance since it's not bad. It's still there, but not as much and some new things to work with now.

@Tasear Why did the stars came back to your forum name? werent you a community ambassador?
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton looks pretty good and will be stronger, especially for healers. Was hoping for a magical damage amplifier though.
    EU PC
  • janimoikka
    I am very happy with the revamp as new-ish player and a Breton Warden healer. Other changes seemed pretty balanced too.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tasear Why did the stars came back to your forum name? werent you a community ambassador?

long story short, zos and I got into a fight over communication and disregarding me, then I got angry at public for all I endured stalking, harassment, and bullying, impersonators, hate mail, hate videos and felt like it was last straw with zos ignoring me and lack of real transition. So I felt like trash and decided continuing onward wasn't worth it at that moment anymore for me. I have my regrets, but I did what I thought was best at the time.

Now I run unofficial community discord with spam forums to get us talk about things. Same things, but I relinquished my title.

Join us on discord https://discord.gg/9UafDmq
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Breton Magplar, Magblyat, Magden I honestly am not complaining. I'm sticking with it. Sustain buffs are like................ a massive turn on.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Massive buff. Anybody who says otherwise doesn't know the power of cost reduction.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Breton changes are going to make my Breton healer even stronger.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Massive buff. Anybody who says otherwise doesn't know the power of cost reduction.
    Yep... I kinda think the same. Bretons are already arguably bis healers. With this insane buff (3% -> 7% cost reduction on magicka skills) and the "competition" removed (heavy argonian nerf) they will simply, without a doubt be a bis race for healers and possibly mag dps.
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nice to see a(n unnoffical) commonity ambassador commenting my thread :) Unfortunately I didn't quite understood what you were trying to say with this.
    Edited by Sinolai on January 17, 2019 2:06PM
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really want to sound rude but... Are we really discussing over 1650 spell resistance?
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does other Breton players think about this?

Breton
    Increases Experience gain in Light Armor Skill Line by 15%, extra 1% Alliance Point gain → No changes
    Gift of Magnus: 10% Max Magicka → Increases your Max Magicka by 2000.
    Spell Resistance: 3960 Spell Resistance → Gain 2310 Spell Resistance and 100 Magicka Recovery.
    Magicka Mastery: 3% Magicka Cost Reduction → Reduces the Magicka cost of your abilities by 7%.

If my math is right, i'll lose 1,000 Magicka, but gain 4% Cost Reduction. I'm ok with that.

As for resistance, I have an absurd amount of resistance on my Templar, so the small reduction won't hurt me much at all.

All in all, I don't see my Healer being affected much here.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That extra 4% from Magicka Mastery + Worm Cult or Seducer will make for quite the sustainable Brenton Healer = )
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kathandira wrote: »

That extra 4% from Magicka Mastery + Worm Cult or Seducer will make for quite the sustainable Brenton Healer = )

Yeah, for PVP healing I have been running Seducer and Transmutation. So the pairing with Seducer is going to push my sustain further. May not even continue running seducer and switch to a different set altogether.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so stoked about these changes: we asked for a buff to the Cost Reduction passive, we got it and even more than what we asked for. Plus with the extra Mag Regen, that'll turn Bretons into Magicka Pumps :D

Healing's gonna be so sweet with that extra sustain, I might even go for a few different morph choices after some experimenting :) .
    Didaco wrote: »
    I don't really want to sound rude but... Are we really discussing over 1650 spell resistance?

With damage shields taking resistances into account, this is actually an important passive
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didaco wrote: »

Or Breton changes in general :) If you think they are awesome feel free to say so. I made this thread to discuss with other Breton players how they feel. The changes are certainly a buff to Bretons but the 1650 spell resistance is just my pain point. I like my Bretons tanking Altmer mages in Cyrodiil. I haven't had the need for extra sustain and I fear the nerf might hit a critical point where Breton "pops" too easily in PvP.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nice to see a(n unnoffical) commonity ambassador commenting my thread :) Unfortunately I didn't quite understood what you were trying to say with this.

spell resists don't have to deal with a mechanic likes bleeds (just oblivion dmg). And certain classes running breton can almost see resistance cap without using any sets. This lets you swap your CP out of anything spell resistance related to physical/healing to boost your survival.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Eareindur
    Eareindur
    ✭✭
    Though I was expecting some kind of buff to our damage, I think the changes, overall, are a great improvement.

BUT we have to consider this changes in relation to the rest of races, specially the buff to the Spell Resistance of Nords. That Nords getting 70% more SR than Bretons is a total nonsense, an oddity from the perspective of lore and racial profiles of every Elder Scrolls games.

That said... May be we should be discussing if the improvement in SR to Nords is way too much.
  • rafaelcsmaia
    rafaelcsmaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eareindur wrote: »
    Though I was expecting some kind of buff to our damage, I think the changes, overall, are a great improvement.

BUT we have to consider this changes in relation to the rest of races, specially the buff to the Spell Resistance of Nords. That Nords getting 70% more SR than Bretons is a total nonsense, an oddity from the perspective of lore and racial profiles of every Elder Scrolls games.

That said... May be we should be discussing if the improvement in SR to Nords is way too much.

I think its because nords are overall oriented towards bulkyness and tanking, bretons have also dps passives tied to them, having both would be kinda crazy
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think its because nords are overall oriented towards bulkyness and tanking, bretons have also dps passives tied to them, having both would be kinda crazy

Bretons do not have dps passive. They have max magicka that does give them some damage becouse of how calculations work but they are not made as huge dps race. That is like saying argonians have dps passive. In previous games Breton identity has been a magical wall that tanks spells but not physical attacks and uses magic themselves. They eat enemy spells and then pay back with their own.
    Edited by Sinolai on January 17, 2019 4:30PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bretons do not have dps passive. They have max magicka that does give them some damage becouse of calculations work but they are made as dps. That is like saying argonians have dps passive. In previous games Breton identity has been a magical wall that tanks spells but not physical attacks and uses magic themselves.

2k max mag = 190.47 spell damage. It's no apprentice stone, but you also use it as a resource pool for casting. 7% cost and 100 mag regen just means MAYBE you drop a sustain set or enchants for dmg oriented ones.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual