The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Mag Plar vs Stam Plar

Banegrivm
Banegrivm
✭✭
Do you think one is better than the other and if so why? I am struggling with this decision on which of the two to make my main. The thing I hate about my Mag Plar is the fact that I never seem to have enough Magicka. I feel like I am always struggling for Magicka and I just do not enjoy that. On my Stam Plar I feel like I do ridiculous damage but then I feel like I don't have enough healing. I would love to hear people's opinions and any suggestions of course, so that I can make a clear decision.
Banegrivm Shadowblight
Sovereign Lord of the 1st Fist of Light
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen them both perform extremely well. I play a Stamplar better in PvP because I seem to be able to squeeze more damage out in my encounters. I love Magplar but just can't compete as well.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tough call...

my stamplar tanks and my magplar heals...they're both enjoyable...

i would imagine this would simply come down to preference...i really enjoy my stamplar - but, i prefer the magplar tool kit...it just seems like my survivability and damage are higher (pvp perspective)...it may just be though that i'm totally hooked on using the jesus beam :)

you can work on your magplar's sustain with gear sets, glyphs, potions, mundus stone, ability rotations...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar has more versitility, you can dps, tank or heal with success. Stamplar has more raw damage output. I enjoy magplar but I dislike stam toons in general
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    Is there any kind of way as a Stamplar to get decent healing? I know Stam Wardens get a stamina based heal. We get Repentance which is nice enough, but not as nice enough when you have to face someone one vs one in PvP, and I do loves me some PvP!
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both templars work with jabs/sweeps in a class identifying way. But you can work magplar to use force pulse as your spamable; it is very versatile!

Both specs got great changes lately, with exception to stamplar losing minor vitality even though wrobel has stated stamplar is balanced around access to major mending (and this shouldnt get other buffs).
    But this might change.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    Ok so what's the deal with Stamplars and Major Mending? I tried to look it up but I couldn't get a clear answer. Either that or my search fu is off lol.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both are good. If you only have one character I would do magicka because it can handle more roles.
    Playing since beta...
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banegrivm wrote: »
    Ok so what's the deal with Stamplars and Major Mending? I tried to look it up but I couldn't get a clear answer. Either that or my search fu is off lol.

I dont know. We havent had it since they made room for warden. We now have minor mending from that point on if you stand in your ritual. Just lost vitality. My Stamplar is a nord with TK and runs the steed mundus. Thats how I get decent heals.

I like both magplar and stamplar but stamplar feels more aggressive to me
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I dont know. We havent had it since they made room for warden. We now have minor mending from that point on if you stand in your ritual. Just lost vitality. My Stamplar is a nord with TK and runs the steed mundus. Thats how I get decent heals.

I like both magplar and stamplar but stamplar feels more aggressive to me

TK? What's that?
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • Rygonix
    Rygonix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TK? What's that?
    Troll King, a Monster Set that adds ~1.5k health regen when you heal yourself from below 50% health.
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Troll+King+Set
    Ceres Des Mortem-Dark Elf Templar, EP
    PC-NA
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    Ahhhh alright, that sounds difficult to get. I have a few undaunted keys so there is the chance of getting it the shoulders at least, but while I am 50 I don't think I am geared enough to run Vet dungeons, plus I am only like 280 CP or so.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • xcalibur007
    xcalibur007
    ✭✭
    Ahhhh alright, that sounds difficult to get. I have a few undaunted keys so there is the chance of getting it the shoulders at least, but while I am 50 I don't think I am geared enough to run Vet dungeons, plus I am only like 280 CP or so.

Troll king is dropped at vet blessed crucible. At 280 cp, you should be fine at that dungeon.
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You feel like you don't have enough magika on magplar or enough healing on stamplar?
    Are you built pure damage? Or have you taken into account adding regen for mag or adding some healing for stamplar (if you struggle in that area).
    If you build pure damage you will sacrifice things like regen and healing or tankiness etc, and that's how it should be. As your CP raises from 280 you will be able to offset a lot of this but still, you cant build full damage without sacrificing things.
    I never have magika problems on my dps templar as I have built through testing a build that does 40 - 50k dps and maintains solid regen, if I try to raise that dps I lose regen, its the balance.
    Edited by Stebarnz on January 16, 2019 10:32PM
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    When I talk about feeling like I just don't have enough healing as a Stamplar, I am talking about in combat. I have honor the dead, but I only get one or two uses out of it before the Magicka runs dry. Also I am still figuring alot of things out about the game and learning, as I and my guild came back after a four year hiatus from the game.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    Also after looking at this thread I went in on my Stamplar and added magicka recovery glyphs to all his jewelry, and even with that I was still running out of mana in combat. In a solo boss fight in a public dungeon I found myself gasping for magicka. I actually had to stop and back peddle and block for a while until my mana started to come back and I could go back into the fight.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also after looking at this thread I went in on my Stamplar and added magicka recovery glyphs to all his jewelry, and even with that I was still running out of mana in combat. In a solo boss fight in a public dungeon I found myself gasping for magicka. I actually had to stop and back peddle and block for a while until my mana started to come back and I could go back into the fight.

Dont use BOL on a stamplar. Get Vigor. If you are just solo PvEing, just use Rally. You can get by with the only magicka ability on your bar being extended ritual.
    Edited by technohic on January 17, 2019 12:45AM
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I talk about feeling like I just don't have enough healing as a Stamplar, I am talking about in combat. I have honor the dead, but I only get one or two uses out of it before the Magicka runs dry. Also I am still figuring alot of things out about the game and learning, as I and my guild came back after a four year hiatus from the game.

Vigor and repentence will make it much easier together. Also, running medium armor and putting CP into medium resist helps survivability.
    Edited by D0PAMINE on January 17, 2019 12:53AM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvP I use may Destro/Restro Magplar using BOL when grouping up for group support.
    When I run solo I prefer my DW /Bow Stamplar on which I use Vigor as heal.
    Edited by TequilaFire on January 17, 2019 12:57AM
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ye these guys have said it, don't use magika based heals on a stam toon its called stamplar for a reason!
    Rally from 2 hand and vigor from alliance war line are only viable heals.
    There are nice magika based buffs for stamplar but as you play more you will find them.
    I didn't realise you were very new or I would have tailored my answer better, have a quick look at a few vids on youtube to get the idea of magika toons vs stam toons and then tailor to what you enjoy playing, some hybrid build are now viable.
    When you reach cp 160 start looking towards getting a golded out correctly geared toon then content will be a lot easier for you.
    Start looking into skill chaining, animation cancelling and weaving light attacks to increase you damage output also.
    Edited by Stebarnz on January 17, 2019 1:46AM
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    Question, is there an easy way to get gold gear? I have tried some vet groups through the dungeon finder and had some shall we say, some unfortunate incidents. The people were sadly very elitist towards me. I've not been back in it since.
    Edited by Banegrivm on January 17, 2019 1:54AM
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Question, is there an easy way to get gold gear? I have tried some vet groups through the dungeon finder and had some shall we say, some unfortunate incidents. The people were sadly very elitist towards me. I've not been back in it since.

You can gold anything with materials from refining mats you pick up. Crafted armor is fine too. You don't NEED trial gear yet.
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    While i like PvE, I have always built my characters with PvP in mind first. Thank you all so much for helping me too by the way. I really appreciate it.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    Also do you guys have any suggestions for armor and weapons for a Stamplar? I've checked out a bunch of sets. Planning on focusing on Two Handed swords.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume this is PvP perspective since I'm seeing resource struggles and not enough self heals. The main problem with Templars is jabs, you can't do anything while channeling it YET it is our only main spammable ability.
    • Magplar
      This little problem can easily be remedied because of DOT pressures from other abilities and heals from jabs so if you want to go easy mode go with magplar and even easier when you're tanky then paired with zaans.
    • Stamplar
      The main problem of being a stamplar is cleansing, the most important skill in PvP. Compared to magicka jabs, Stamplar's jabs will deal more damage and can easily burst inexperienced/unaware players but when it comes to experienced PvPers on par with your skills, you'll struggle because you don't have the ability to keep up with their resources and heals. e.g. while jabbing, they can self heal easily while dealing tons of damage and just watch you jabbing yourself to death.

To conclude it, compared to other class's ability, Templar's main damage tool is largely outclassed. That is why you'll see more tanky magplars running around because it is the only tolerable and competitive build for them and they're OP af.
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    Perwulf wrote: »
    That is why you'll see more tanky magplars running around because it is the only tolerable and competitive build for them and they're OP af.

Oh? LOL now I am seriously curious. Do tell, please! :)

Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perwulf wrote: »
    That is why you'll see more tanky magplars running around because it is the only tolerable and competitive build for them and they're OP af.

Oh? LOL now I am seriously curious. Do tell, please! :)

I cannot provide you the details of the build since I can't remember the exact details and I'm pretty sure it's outdated, last time I played magplar was on July. However. try looking around the net for that build, something will come up eventually if it's templar season.
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    What about tanky Stamplars? Are they any good?
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    So I am trying to figure out what to do for Magicka on my Magicka Templar and I am really having issues with Magicka. What am I doing wrong? I bought the glyphs for my Jewelry to boost Magicka regen but it just doesn't feel like it's enough.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight