Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

More Than 3 Dragons, Speculation On How This Plays Out

Korah_Eaglecry
Korah_Eaglecry
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Its possible Rich is pulling our strings here. Or its quite possible that with the "lego" dragons they spoke of, we're facing far more than just the 3 dragons we see. Its obviously going to be wrapped up at the end of the year. But how do you think theyre going to handle this dragon storyline. And do you think theyll use the Interregnum to explain away why we've never heard of a horde of Dragons descending on Elsweyr?
Penniless Sellsword Company
Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Alucu
    Alucu
    ✭✭✭
    We have the Main Dragon Kagrontiid in the main quest which roughly translates to champion-bound-time (Champion of time?). Maybe Naafalilargus as an easter egg? We also know we'll have dragon themed bosses in the new trial Sunspire. The main boss there is called Nahviintaas (Fury-Shining. Shining Fury?). But I don't know, while im happy with the wrap-up of new content and new features in 2019 overall and while I also know it's possible lore-wise, I can't help to be a bit dissapointed. This feels kinda cheap and "Skyrim 2", specially when there's so much in this universe to offer. Also, they announced random events: Dragon encounters. Which means, generic dragons galore probably :(
    Building communities since 2017

Para los Jugadores Hispanos: LA FUNDACION GM
    For advanced PvE: DRAGON VOID Officer
    For advanced PvP: PROJECT NOVA Member
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The atlas of dragons book in Skyrim was written before the events of eso, so it could be some dragons were just hiding so well that the Dragonguard never found them (or at least, not the Dragonguard in the northern part of Tamriel based in Skyrim)

Or maybe they did, and even wrote about it, but we just never came across the book like we did with the one in Sky Haven Temple.
  • Alucu
    Alucu
    ✭✭✭
    Robo_Hobo wrote: »
    The atlas of dragons book in Skyrim was written before the events of eso, so it could be some dragons were just hiding so well that the Dragonguard never found them (or at least, not the Dragonguard in the northern part of Tamriel based in Skyrim)

Or maybe they did, and even wrote about it, but we just never came across the book like we did with the one in Sky Haven Temple.

No hiding or anything. As soon as Abnur Tharn uses that stone they seem pretty eager not to be in hiding
    Building communities since 2017

Para los Jugadores Hispanos: LA FUNDACION GM
    For advanced PvE: DRAGON VOID Officer
    For advanced PvP: PROJECT NOVA Member
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alucu wrote: »

No hiding or anything. As soon as Abnur Tharn uses that stone they seem pretty eager not to be in hiding

My personal assumption is that these dragons were sealed away prior to, or around the time of the war with the dragons. And would explain why they were so enthusiastic about announcing their return by flying towards Rimmen. They would have no possible way of knowing the outcome of the war or that they as a species were dead or in hiding.

Im not sure how I feel about it all though, it does feel cheap. Im just hoping that they explain it well enough that it doesnt become Skyrim 2 as you put it.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on January 17, 2019 6:13PM
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope it's not too many.

A few could pass unnoticed by history, especially if a lot of records do indeed get lost or destroyed in the chaos of the Interregnum, but the more Dragons there are the more it's going to strain credibility that they weren't recorded somewhere a Dragon expert might find out about them.
    Edited by adriant1978 on January 17, 2019 6:12PM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A few could pass unnoticed by history, especially if a lot of records do indeed get lost or destroyed in the chaos of the Interregnum, but the more Dragons there are the more it's going to strain credibility that they weren't recorded somewhere a Dragon expert might find out about them.

I wouldn't trust Esbern to be reliable especially since he and Delphine were stubborn about Grandpa Dragon being evil even though he wasn't. Esbern is kinda wearing down due to his age.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Dragonguard was in shambles in this time period, I doubt they'd have the organization to record them, especially with Cloud Ruler Temple being up in the sky.
  • Wreckless_Riot
    In the announcement livestream they talked about how the new system of dragon invasions or whatever they’re called will have a mix and match system for the dragons. Basically they said that the physical features of the dragons can be randomly generated so that ‘no two dragons are the same’.

This leads me to believe that we’re going to see a countless number of random/dolmen boss dragons in the game but this seems to be a gameplay mechanic. That doesnt necessarily mean that there are skyrim numbers of dragons canonically in this time period.

I would say it makes sense that there would be around 10 or so dragons canonically involved in the next chapter. Unless further info comes out i would say this sounds like a pretty good guess.

Please feel free to correct me if i have some info wrong here, ive only watched the announcement stream once and skimmed the website a bit.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    But I don't know, while im happy with the wrap-up of new content and new features in 2019 overall and while I also know it's possible lore-wise, I can't help to be a bit dissapointed. This feels kinda cheap and "Skyrim 2", specially when there's so much in this universe to offer. Also, they announced random events: Dragon encounters. Which means, generic dragons galore probably :(

Second this. I'm in wait-and-see mode right now but I'm not excited. :\
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coldharbour dolmens, frutti di mare dolmens, now lego dragon dolmens. It's all starting to look very tired and formulaic.

I think what I want to see is whether there is any evidence of Molag Bal's dolemns in Elsweyr, and if not, why not. They don't have any Crystal Tower to protect them.
    PC EU
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coldharbour dolmens, frutti di mare dolmens, now lego dragon dolmens. It's all starting to look very tired and formulaic.

I think what I want to see is whether there is any evidence of Molag Bal's dolemns in Elsweyr, and if not, why not. They don't have any Crystal Tower to protect them.

Theyll likely shrug it off like they do with everything post Orsinium. That the Worm Cult never got around to building the dolmens in those locations before the Vestige defeated them. Ive personally never really liked that excuse because many dolmens appear to be older than dirt itself. But its their story, even if its poorly manufactured.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Something to do with the moons, I bet.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the announcement livestream they talked about how the new system of dragon invasions or whatever they’re called will have a mix and match system for the dragons. Basically they said that the physical features of the dragons can be randomly generated so that ‘no two dragons are the same’.

This leads me to believe that we’re going to see a countless number of random/dolmen boss dragons in the game but this seems to be a gameplay mechanic. That doesnt necessarily mean that there are skyrim numbers of dragons canonically in this time period.

I would say it makes sense that there would be around 10 or so dragons canonically involved in the next chapter. Unless further info comes out i would say this sounds like a pretty good guess.

Please feel free to correct me if i have some info wrong here, ive only watched the announcement stream once and skimmed the website a bit.

If you explain it right - and I’m it is what they actually implied in the livestream index - then there can’t possibly be only 3 or 10 dragons canonically if this happens on live.
    I bet you try to flee the lore letdown here ...
    but... either you take the actual game as canon experience (and so they’d be « more friends » than 3 dragons as they seemingly said) ...or you don’t play the game (as canon) at all. (It is a matter of belief and enjoyment I guess)

"It’s all Gameplays fault" is almost never a valid excuse.
    If the devs are *working hard* to randomize different dragons by a generator, then nobody can seriously say it is just a gameplay (double-entendre "uncanon") trick. If it were the case they would just reuse the same 7-8 dragon models and names like they already did with the list of encounters ending each geyser of Summerset...
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only imagine looking here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragons at the “Disappearance of the dragons” and something about the Ka po’ tun, wouldn’t have a clue but maybe the legends about the dragons making deals with the mortals for protection could be the connection.
    Edited by Skullstachio on January 19, 2019 12:35PM
    "When the human race learns to read the language of symbolism, a great veil will fall from the eyes of men." ~Manly P. Hall
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will be a new trial with every boss being a dragon, and they said its a "real" trial and not a mini trial, so atleast 5 bosses.

There will be "not-a-dolmen" worldevents. most likely 6, using generic "not-a-titan"-lego-dragons.

From the 3 dragons of the trailer, i'd assume one will be a storyline boss, a worldboss and the final boss in the trial. similar to the mind slugs in summerset.

They stated noone knows how dragons multiply, its only known that theres no eggs or baby dragons.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Trapped is a better word. The Dragonguard would not have trapped them. Someone else must have done that.
    My personal assumption is that these dragons were sealed away prior to, or around the time of the war with the dragons.

This is a reasonable theory, at this point, and one that I have been considering to be a top one.

The flexibility to create different dragons could mean two things. It could mean that they intend to have an unlimited number of randomly generated dragons, like Skyrim had, each one able to look different, although not unique. It could also mean that they wanted a new technology to quickly create "unique" creatures, for this Chapter and future use, and dragons are the first to use it.

By having a random modeling system that can assemble the dragons, they can apply this technology far beyond Elsweyr. Maybe they can use it in future dungeons to make a unique boss each time. They can probably use it to assemble random NPCs. They can use it in Game 2 for similar purposes. They did not create this technology for exclusive use of Elsweyr. That is very out of character for the studio. They need it, or want it, for more than that.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Wreckless_Riot

If you explain it right - and I’m it is what they actually implied in the livestream index - then there can’t possibly be only 3 or 10 dragons canonically if this happens on live.
    I bet you try to flee the lore letdown here ...
    but... either you take the actual game as canon experience (and so they’d be « more friends » than 3 dragons as they seemingly said) ...or you don’t play the game (as canon) at all. (It is a matter of belief and enjoyment I guess)

"It’s all Gameplays fault" is almost never a valid excuse.
    If the devs are *working hard* to randomize different dragons by a generator, then nobody can seriously say it is just a gameplay (double-entendre "uncanon") trick. If it were the case they would just reuse the same 7-8 dragon models and names like they already did with the list of encounters ending each geyser of Summerset...

What i meant was that we see in these games that sometimes “gameplay” isnt exactly 100% true to the lore. The most obvious example in eso that i can think of is that we have lightning camels and all kinds of other mounts in game that would either not actually exist or would not be as common as they are.

Also, dolmens and dungeons being endlessly repeatable. The official story on them would be that each dolmen or dungeon story happened only once somewhere in the timeline.

If every single gameplay feature of this mmo is taken as official canon, there are millions of vestiges running around tamriel, an infestation of rediculous mounts populate the world, and the characters in dungeons are stuck in a groundhog day style hellish loop.

I fully admit that im trying to flee the lore letdown and make sense of how this game fits into the greater lore since its officially canon. I hope the implementation of dragons will not be described in the game as a (skyrim level) invasion of dragons.

For now i remain skeptically optimistic and im hoping that there’s only gonna be like 5-6 dragon dolmens with 1 dragon each (even if they are legos) and the 3 main dragons (maybe a few more in the trial) with a cameo from parthunax. That would be just the right amount of dragon for me.
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well as many have put it before. The lore is whatever they want it to be. As disappointing as it may turn out to be.

I just hope they make up for it with the some incredibly awesome gameplay. Instead of say another dark anchor system with a dragon theme slapped on it.

Hoping for something more dangerous than that. Like a real reason to hesitate or look up at the sky nervously as you travel.