The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Telvanni Guards and Necromancy

MythicEmperor
MythicEmperor
✭✭✭✭✭
According to Ancestors and the Dunmer(https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Ancestors_and_the_Dunmer), House Telvanni not only accepts but condones Necromancy as a practice. This is no surprise given their tolerance of Vampires in TES: III.

“The Dark Elves would never think of practicing sorcerous necromancy upon any Dark Elf or upon the remains of any Elf. However, Dark Elves consider the human and orcish races to be little more than animals. There is no injunction against necromancy upon such remains, or on the remains of any animal, bird, or insect.”

Telvanni "Necromancy”
The Telvanni are adept masters of necromancy. They do not, however, practice necromancy upon the remains of Dark Elves. Sane Telvanni regard such practices with loathing and righteous anger. They do practice necromancy upon the remains of animals and upon the remains of Humans, Orcs, and Argonians -- who are technically no more than animals in Morrowind.”

Given this knowledge, I believe the proposed Justice Watch system (great idea, by the way) should be excluded from Telvanni settlements, at least in terms of Necromancy. House Telvanni is a bastion of all forms of magic- even those of darker sorts. It is only right that Necromancers feel safe in the eastern frontier of defiance to convention.
With cold regards,
Mythic

Favorite Characters:
Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to Ancestors and the Dunmer(https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Ancestors_and_the_Dunmer), House Telvanni not only accepts but condones Necromancy as a practice. This is no surprise given their tolerance of Vampires in TES: III.

“The Dark Elves would never think of practicing sorcerous necromancy upon any Dark Elf or upon the remains of any Elf. However, Dark Elves consider the human and orcish races to be little more than animals. There is no injunction against necromancy upon such remains, or on the remains of any animal, bird, or insect.”

Telvanni "Necromancy”
    The Telvanni are adept masters of necromancy. They do not, however, practice necromancy upon the remains of Dark Elves. Sane Telvanni regard such practices with loathing and righteous anger. They do practice necromancy upon the remains of animals and upon the remains of Humans, Orcs, and Argonians -- who are technically no more than animals in Morrowind.”

Given this knowledge, I believe the proposed Justice Watch system (great idea, by the way) should be excluded from Telvanni settlements, at least in terms of Necromancy. House Telvanni is a bastion of all forms of magic- even those of darker sorts. It is only right that Necromancers feel safe in the eastern frontier of defiance to convention.

I honestly think that post-Elsweyr they should seriously take a hard look at the justice system and see if they can overhaul it. Theres a lot left desired from the current system. And it would be great if they could find a way to carve up the zones/regions so youre not wanted everywhere all at once. Word of your status as being wanted for stealing that apple in Davonswatch should not travel faster than a teleportation via wayshrine to Summerset.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Telvanni "Necromancy”

I honestly think that post-Elsweyr they should seriously take a hard look at the justice system and see if they can overhaul it. Theres a lot left desired from the current system. And it would be great if they could find a way to carve up the zones/regions so youre not wanted everywhere all at once. Word of your status as being wanted for stealing that apple in Davonswatch should not travel faster than a teleportation via wayshrine to Summerset.

That is true. What does the Aldmeri Dominion care if you commit a crime in the Ebonheart Pact? It would likely be encouraged. House Telvanni, being separate from the Pact, would share these same principles. They wouldn’t care in the slightest if you murdered some Hlaalu N’wah-lover, or even better, an Argonian. The only reason they should punish you within their territory is because you were not capable enough to get away with it.

To quote the rules of House Telvanni:

"If you steal from another Telvanni, but still live, then clearly you deserve whatever you stole. Murdering your opponents by magic or treachery is the traditional way of settling disputes. If you win, then clearly your argument has more merit. You may be expelled as in any other Great House, but most Telvanni will not care or even know about it."
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    House Redoran is a better House than Telvanni because House Telvanni are a bunch of nerds with sticks.

Also that might be a pain to script, so I don't think they're going to go out of their way for one House. You could also argue that the guards are dumb meatheads and don't pay mind to Telvanni laws.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, Telvanni exists? Huh, thought they joined Indoril in being forgettable cause they really are.
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's one thing to accept necromancy as an abstract concept and quite another thing to see someone raise the dead right in front of you.
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    House Redoran is a better House than Telvanni because House Telvanni are a bunch of nerds with sticks.

Also that might be a pain to script, so I don't think they're going to go out of their way for one House. You could also argue that the guards are dumb meatheads and don't pay mind to Telvanni laws.

At least House Telvanni is free from the globalist will of the Pact. Redoran streets are flooded with Argonians- that aren’t slaves.
    Wait, Telvanni exists? Huh, thought they joined Indoril in being forgettable cause they really are.

Except they are the most flavorful Great House, living in isolation within giant mushroom towers and flexing their superiority on N’wahs.
    It's one thing to accept necromancy as an abstract concept and quite another thing to see someone raise the dead right in front of you.

This is true, but for House Telvanni, it is the least of what they see on a day-to-day basis. They see vampires- and do business with them. They not only see necromancy, but they practice it. They consider themselves “adept masters of necromancy.” This is their art. It’s like a worm cultist being scared of necromancy.
    Edited by MythicEmperor on January 17, 2019 1:07PM
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
  • Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    9e59ia2cxk7y.jpeg
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, those rules apply to the Telvanni and you're just an outlander, aren't you?
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At least House Telvanni is free from the globalist will of the Pact. Redoran streets are flooded with Argonians- that aren’t slaves.

Except they are the most flavorful Great House, living in isolation within giant mushroom towers and flexing their superiority on N’wahs.

This is true, but for House Telvanni, it is the least of what they see on a day-to-day basis. They see vampires- and do business with them. They not only see necromancy, but they practice it. They consider themselves “adept masters of necromancy.” This is their art. It’s like a worm cultist being scared of necromancy.

But both House Dres and Telvanni get their slaves from the Archein (Argonian slavers), mercenaries, pirates and vagrants. Dishonorable folk of their societies. See, beautiful House Redoran don't rely on wannabe Dunmer lizards or criminals and aren't lazy. Redoran soldiers are also handsome and not old mages who creak as they walk. :smile:

On topic and on a serious note, unless the guards are new NPCs altogether, the scripts won't conflict with other guards. I'm guessing that Zenimax uses a Template NPC and makes a randomly generated NPC leveled list which relies on that Template NPC. Every other TES game uses this system (excluding Redguard, Arena, Daggerfall, etc.) I may be wrong though.
    Edited by Claudman on January 17, 2019 5:59PM

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

• MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    albesca wrote: »

Well, those rules apply to the Telvanni and you're just an outlander, aren't you?

As someone who roleplays a Telvanni and has roleplayed a Telvanni in every TES game since Morrowind, I believe we should have more options to support the Great House. Playing morally gray characters is far more fun than “help the lizards.”

The point I was getting at in regards to Telvanni rules, however, is that there are no rules. To put it simply, they don’t care what you do. According to House Telvanni, the powerful define the standards of virtue. If necromancy grants one power, then it is a virtuous endeavor.

But both House Dres and Telvanni get their slaves from the Archein (Argonian slavers), mercenaries, pirates and vagrants. Dishonorable folk of their societies. See, beautiful House Redoran don't rely on wannabe Dunmer lizards or criminals and aren't lazy. Redoran soldiers are also handsome and not old mages who creak as they walk. :smile:

On topic and on a serious note, unless the guards are new NPCs altogether, the scripts won't conflict with other guards. I'm guessing that Zenimax uses a Template NPC and makes a randomly generated NPC leveled list which relies on that Template NPC. Every other TES game uses this system (excluding Redguard, Arena, Daggerfall, etc.) I may be wrong though.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Telvanni_Acquisition_Camp

House Telvanni acquires its own slaves :smile:

The way I understand it, their new justice watch system will apply to ALL guards. I am simply hoping they will be a bit more selective based on established lore. A Telvanni guard is far different from an Argonian guard or a High Rock knight.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As someone who roleplays a Telvanni and has roleplayed a Telvanni in every TES game since Morrowind, I believe we should have more options to support the Great House. Playing morally gray characters is far more fun than “help the lizards.”

The point I was getting at in regards to Telvanni rules, however, is that there are no rules. To put it simply, they don’t care what you do. According to House Telvanni, the powerful define the standards of virtue. If necromancy grants one power, then it is a virtuous endeavor.

The way I understand it, their new justice watch system will apply to ALL guards. I am simply hoping they will be a bit more selective based on established lore. A Telvanni guard is far different from an Argonian guard or a High Rock knight.

Hah, but that is but one camp! Fit for but one or three mere slaves! They've yet to amass the amount the Archein or Dres manage to gather, so they would have to rely on such better groups for higher quantities of slaves.

Anyways...
    What they could do is create a whole new Template NPC (if of course- according to the previous post...They actually use the "template NPC system") for the Telvanni Guards. IF they don't do this though, as a post claimed in this thread, they could just claim such laws don't apply to you due to you not being apart of House Telvanni. This is a bit of a shame though, for it would ruin immersion for characters who may be apart of House Telvanni...Like that one Dunmeri noble who called my House Redoran and Morag Tong agent a "N'wah/Outsider Peasant"...Even though they are a Dunmer straight from Vvardenfell. lol

• Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    cpmjc4fg9g8y.png
    Telvanni in a nutshell.
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hah, but that is but one camp! Fit for but one or three mere slaves! They've yet to amass the amount the Archein or Dres manage to gather, so they would have to rely on such better groups for higher quantities of slaves.

Anyways...
    What they could do is create a whole new Template NPC (if of course- according to the previous post...They actually use the "template NPC system") for the Telvanni Guards. IF they don't do this though, as a post claimed in this thread, they could just claim such laws don't apply to you due to you not being apart of House Telvanni. This is a bit of a shame though, for it would ruin immersion for characters who may be apart of House Telvanni...Like that one Dunmeri noble who called my House Redoran and Morag Tong agent a "N'wah/Outsider Peasant"...Even though they are a Dunmer straight from Vvardenfell. lol

To be fair, the population of Shadowfen isn’t that high. One camp should suffice, at least by the limitations of the game. Can’t we both just agree that House Hlaalu doesn’t need to exist?

I do agree with you on your other point, however. I hope the system works in such a way, otherwise I would have to quote Attack of the Clones.

It would be nice to be able to ‘declare’ a House. While a joinable guild for each House (only being able to join a singular House) would be preferable, the option to cut out “N’wah” dialogue against my Argonian-hating Vvardenfell-born Dunmer Telvanni would be enough to satisfy my RP needs. I should be calling NPCs N’wahs, not the other way around.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
  • Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    Shadowfen is a region not just a town so one camp isn’t really enough. Gotta be lazy and hire Archein to get the job done that lazy kidney stone tower dwellers can’t do cause they sit around and get fat and croak 🙃. Hlaalu is indeed and WILL be the downfall to Morrowind in a whole. N’wah loving blokes. I heard talk however that if players find the Justice System implements for Necromancy to be infuriating/annoying as hell, then it would be removed. Not confirmed yet just a rumor.
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen is a region not just a town so one camp isn’t really enough. Gotta be lazy and hire Archein to get the job done that lazy kidney stone tower dwellers can’t do cause they sit around and get fat and croak 🙃. Hlaalu is indeed and WILL be the downfall to Morrowind in a whole. N’wah loving blokes. I heard talk however that if players find the Justice System implements for Necromancy to be infuriating/annoying as hell, then it would be removed. Not confirmed yet just a rumor.

Or my Telvanni could walk down south and capture a few himself. Lure them in with fish, then YOINK. Works every time.

N’wah lovers are just as bad as the Argonians. Neither belong in Morrowind. If the Hlaalu love N’wahs so much, why don’t they just leave? I’m sure they’d love it in Black Marsh. No, they just want support from the Argonian minority. “I’ll give you rights if you support me.” Pathetic traitors.

I’m not opposed to the Justice Watch system, but if it is implemented in a way that isn’t lore friendly I’d rather not deal with it. Necromancers were fine in past TES games. I could summon ghosts and skeletons in TES: III with no repercussions. I walked around Skyrim with Dead thralls all the time. The Mages Guild won’t ban necromancy for another era. Why would the guards care now?
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyways...

To be fair, the population of Shadowfen isn’t that high. One camp should suffice, at least by the limitations of the game. Can’t we both just agree that House Hlaalu doesn’t need to exist?

I do agree with you on your other point, however. I hope the system works in such a way, otherwise I would have to quote Attack of the Clones.

It would be nice to be able to ‘declare’ a House. While a joinable guild for each House (only being able to join a singular House) would be preferable, the option to cut out “N’wah” dialogue against my Argonian-hating Vvardenfell-born Dunmer Telvanni would be enough to satisfy my RP needs. I should be calling NPCs N’wahs, not the other way around.

Hlaalu is basically garbage, so yes, I agree that House Hlaalu is basically garbage and doesn't need to exist.

I too have a Outlander-Hating Vvardenfell-born Dunmeri Redoran Soldier who I would prefer not be called "N'wah" in their homeland. lol

It would be neat to have the option to join one of the Great Houses like in TES3: Morrowind, but I don't know if ESO will provide that option. It would be really cool though if they revisited Morrowind to do that.

• MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyways...

Hlaalu is basically garbage, so yes, I agree that House Hlaalu is basically garbage and doesn't need to exist.

I too have a Outlander-Hating Vvardenfell-born Dunmeri Redoran Soldier who I would prefer not be called "N'wah" in their homeland. lol

It would be neat to have the option to join one of the Great Houses like in TES3: Morrowind, but I don't know if ESO will provide that option. It would be really cool though if they revisited Morrowind to do that.

Perhaps we will get DLC or Chapters for the rest of Morrowind. I’d love to see Port Telvannis, specifically. Maybe we’d get Great House guilds that way.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
  • Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    Luring them in with fish lol. As biased as that is lizards aren’t THAT gullible there’s more to them as a race if people are willing to be open minded and expand their writing rather then just be pro-Morrowind 24/7 which gets boring. That’s like luring a Telvanni scrub with a Black Book. Hopefully we get to explore a bit more of Morrowind, Vvardenfell was *okay* but some people crave more. From what’s going on recently they’re doing a DLC region of each race.
    Edited by Scythe_Mercer on January 19, 2019 2:22PM
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Maybe not one house. But if it was a overhaul of the whole system. They might decide to put the effort in to make the system a bit more consistent with the world that its applied in.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax